Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

cant find boot .ini

Guest Pilot533

Hi, im trying to do the xp 32 oom fix, and I cant find my boot.ini file, its not in c:/boot.ini and it doesnt come up with search even when search hidden files is checked, and i do have my system set to display hidden files. Im readignt he post by n4gix about how to apply it and it says:In your boot.ini file, if you have added the /3GB switch already:multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB, but it never explains how to add the 3gb switch. And is 3072 the right number to set userva to? And where do I place the userva entry?

Guest firehawk44

"I cant find my boot.ini file"Start>Run>Msconfig>click okay>goto Boot Tab where you can edit."And where do I place the userva entry?"This is for Vista users only.For further info on adding the /3GB Switch, go here: http://www.vfxpedia.com/index.php?title=FAQ/3GB_SwitchBest regards,Jim

Guest Pilot533

Thanks, but i cant edit the file from msconfig.

Hi Mike: It's not entirely clear that there are two parts to this little operation. The first bit is the boot.ini file. You will find this by:- opening Windows explorer - clicking on Tools -> Folder Options ->view and:- check the following:-Show hidden files and folders. uncheck these:-Hide extensions for known typesHide protected operating system filesYou will now be able to find your boot.ini in the root of C:Rt-click on it -> Properties and uncheck "read-only" so you can edit it with Notepad or Textpad. Re-check it when you're done. This is an extract from the Bill's post:-NOTE: The following applies only to WinXP users:--------------------------------------------------------In your boot.ini file, if you have added the /3GB switch already:multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GBTo "fine tune" the actual amount of VAS allocated, you need only add another switch to the end of the entire entry:/Userva=2560--------------------------------------------------------So - having followed Bill's advice - mine now reads:-[boot loader]timeout=10default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS1[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS1="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetectmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS1="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noguiboot /NoExecute=OptIn /3GB /Userva=2560--------------------------------------------------------Save the file and re-check the Properties -> read-only.Now the second part: This is the "switch" that is done to the FSX.exe file so that the OS will think it can handle more memory allocation.Again - from Bill's post:-1. Open a Command window in your FSX folder2. Type: editbin /LARGEADDRESSAWARE fsx.exe3. Hit the Enter key.There is a second way to do this: that is to download CFF Explorer, launch it, File ->Open ->browse and open FSX.exe -> look for File Header->and in the right pane you will see "click here". Click it. A box will open-> look for "App can handle >2gb addressest" Check it. Save and close it. Reboot, select the userva os. OOMs are now gone for Windows XP Pro 32 bit running FSX SP1. There is a caveat here, and a warning from Phil Taylor. With the /3gig switched OS selected you just might not be able to boot unless you leave your old line in the boot.ini, with enough time available to select it... The's more reading on the CoolSky forum, as the 80 is a very heavy memory user. And my appologies to Espen et al at CoolSky, because I screwed this up one time, and wrongly blamed the MD80's programming design, when it was actually my fault for doing this mod - and leaving out the second part. Duh!;-)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Pilot533

Thanks paul got it to work, but now when the system boots up the display drivers dont load, the resolution is at default and there is no nvidia control panel, ive even tried reinstalling the drivers, but with the switch enabled the driver doesnt load.

Hi Mike; There should be no interaction with the gpu drivers, but who knows... :-hmmm Which switch do you mean, and what does your boot.ini look like now?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Pilot533

Hi Paul, I just meant the 3gb switch, my boot.ini looks exactly like the one you posted above.Thanks for the helpMike

Guest firehawk44

"I cant find my boot.ini file"Start>Run>Msconfig>click okay>goto Boot Tab where you can edit."And where do I place the userva entry?"This is for Vista users only.For further info on adding the /3GB Switch, go here: http://www.vfxpedia.com/index.php?title=FAQ/3GB_SwitchBest regards,Jim""Thanks, but i cant edit the file from msconfig."Yes you can through the System Configuration Utility (msconfig). This is another link showing you exactly how to do it (much more in-depth than what I suggested): http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htmThis is the way to do it w/o using msconfig: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022Hope this helps!Jim

Guest Pilot533

Thanks, I cant figure out how to edit the boot.ini with cmd, gosh they really suck at explaning how to do stuff like that on ms kb. I was editing the boot.ini with a text editor and just putting the line in that paul gave me, is that the wrong way to do it? What gets me is that the os booted up fine, its just the it seems like the video driver isnt loading since the res goes to default, and none of the nvidia.exe's are running.

Guest Pilot533

Alrigth I figured out what the problem was, from ms kb:"If you use the /3GB switch in the Boot.ini file to support a program that can use more than 2 GB of virtual address space, a driver may not be loaded when Windows starts. This is more likely to occur with video adapter drivers. This is especially likely to occur if the hardware device contains a lot of onboard random access memory (RAM) that is used as a buffer. "I set the userva to 2560 and now it works, I would like to bring this number higher, but I have heard of fs not being able to handle certain numbers because it can only access memory in 1mb chunks or something like that? So what are the numbers under 3073 that can be used?

hmmmm You got the spaces ahead of each "/", right?