Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Comments on FSDiscover!

Hi,I've been thinking about buying FSDiscover! and did some searching here in the forums but didn't find much, not sure if that is because it's not really great nor bad...?Would appreciate any comments from current owners of FSDiscover! if you think it's worth $30?I'm running FSX with SP2 under Vista with FSGenesis mesh, GEX, FEX and UTX.

Richard Åsberg

It's a really neat product, I am always surprised at all the interesting places even around where I live that the name will pop up for. If you set up your flight to show your routing that is a very interesting tool, I tested it flying through the Columbia Gorge here East of Portland Oregon and what a cool feature. You've always got Flight1's return policy so if you find you don't like it you can return it, but if you find it as neat as I did you won't want to return it.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Might be a pointless obsevation but: it's a matter of taste.As I only use the "POI" stuff (not the flight planning) I personally feel $30 is a bit steep; or ,rather, it would have been if the $ weren't so cheap to us Europeans these days.Since VFR charts are hard to come by and there's no good tool (that I know of) allowing me to print maps with names on them, I love the possibility to "get to know" the land I'm flying over. When I see a point of interest (POI) or name of some place, mountain, creek etc. I can look it up on the internet and sometime I get some history for it. This makes the virtual world alot more interesting to be flying in to me.I feel the "display flight plan" stuff makes the sim too much like a game but that might be a good thing to other users. It might even be a good idea for basic navigation training, not sure.If you're like me, using the sim to "explore" the world I'd say it's worth it.Cheers/Jonas

Thanks for your input guys, I think I'll give it a try - seems cool to actually have some idea of your surroundings when you're flying.I remember also seeing some other product that hook up FSX with Google Earth, is it relevant to compare that product to FSDiscover! and if yes - what are their respective pros and cons?

Richard Åsberg

Thanks David, I actually already read your review over at AVSIM and it's good to hear you're still a user of FSDiscover! even though according to your review there was some room for improvement like labels showing through mountains etc or maybe some of those "features" has been fixed since you wrote that review ;)?Most of the time I find a well written review very useful but sometimes it's also good to hear what all the "normal" users have to say about a product and since I didn't find much talk about FSDiscover! in these forums that got my a bit suspicious but these days $30 isn't that much money when you're in Europe ;) so I think I will try it out and I will also have a look at that FS-Google Earth thing.All the best,

Richard Åsberg

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Good question. I got FS Earth for FSX ($15) because I didn't want to spend the $30 on FSDiscover. I thought I could learn about what I was flying over using Google Earth.It works fairly well, but it is not optimal. First, you need a second computer. Even if you have one, you have to turn it on and start up Google Earth. Not a big deal, but you find yourself not messing with it every time you fly.Also, Google Earth won't show town names very much. I've played with the settings, but it seems to show town names whenever it feels like it. I'll be flying and look over at Google Earth, and it is pretty sparse on identifying towns. The viewpoint in FS Earth is a little clumsy to manipulate. So if you want to look over to the left to see what a mountain's name is, you have to set up some keys in FSX to move the Google Earth view. In FSDiscover, you could just glance over to the left with TrackIR (or the hat switch).FS Earth does show you AI traffic all around you in 3D. That's pretty cool (shows you how much traffic is really being generated). But the novelty wears off. I might have to take the plunge on FSDiscover.

Guest JimC1702

I'm glad you started this thread, I was just going to post the same question myself. I'm thinking seriously of getting FSDiscover.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

Guest Lith1um

I flew from KMIA to KJFK in the acceleration F18. I was flying around 24 thousand feet. Every once in a while I would flick on FSDiscover for a few seconds to view with my surroundings. It was pretty cool seeing how the lay of the land really was. Things aren't always exactly where you think they are. And then there's the times you are flying abroad. I wouldn't know I was flying past a fraction of the things I've flown past without FSD.

I like fsdiscover very much.1) I can't believe how little I knew of my local area that I have learned using the program2) I use it to get familiar with areas I know nothing about-very useful for both flying and driving trips3) As an example-the Bluesky Sierra's series-I wanted to visit some peaks I had hiked as a kid from the air-fsdiscover makes it easy. 4) Also makes it easy when using ezscenery-for instance adding a waterfall to yosemite is pretty easy when fsdiscover points out where it should beA great program!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Thanks for all good input, yesterday I decided to buy FSDiscover! and I have done nothing but installed it so far but I'm looking forward to do some flying the next coming days and hopefully I will like it as much as some of you guys do that already have it.Again I think the whole idea of putting out labels so you don't only see all the often beautiful scenery in FS but actually know what you're looking at as well is really cool so I'm pretty sure I will be happy with my decision buying this product.

Richard Åsberg

and since you bought it what do you think of fsdiscover?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Hi Clayton,Used it for some time now and I think it was money well spent, indeed it's very cool to know what you're actaully looking at when flying.The one thing I've been struggling with a bit is to find the right mix of things to show so you get as much info as possible when flying but still without beeing overwhelmed with a very clutterly view with all labels popping up everywhere around you.One thing that I think would make for a great improvement for next version is if the labels also displayed not only the name but also the cathegory - when you're in an unfamiliar area and especially if you're flying at a high altitude it can be very hard to know if a label you're looking at is the name for a river or something else down on the ground.

Richard Åsberg

yeah thanks so it sounds like a good add on just to know where you are in the msfs world!

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest SkullxBones

I would be interested in this program if I can turn it off and on easily during flight. Can you toggle FSDiscover on with just one key while you are flying and toggle it off when you don't want the program running?Does it affect FPS at all?