Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Why do texture settings above 1m sharpen 1m textures?

Guest JeanLuc_

I'd have to debug the process to figure out exactly, by my guess is that in the FS code, there is something that says:if (text_res_slider == higher) put the texture in the video card and use itotherwise run the complex code that resample (resize) the texture to the slider valuethe issue is that if a texture is 1m max resolution, and your slider says 1m, I'd bet the code will still resample it at a 1:1 ratio (that is useless task), and this is done by the CPU, not the video card, hence lower performanceSince most textures seems to be 1m max anyway, and a few 7cm, this means that with the slider to 7cm, the textures will simply gets loaded to the video card as is. If you have enough vid card memory, and a good fillrate, it will be faster than having the CPU ressampling all textures (and I suspect again in most cases ressampling for nothing if your slider matches the max texture resolution).

Guest Nick_N

Another awesome post Luis!I am in the process of learning AG placement and some of what you posted helps me to consider a few things while working with it.Yes, it is a PAIN and learning something new like this is fun but I also feel a bit *:-* in the processLOL

Guest Nick_N

Could beand it would be interesting to get a completely debug'd report that leaves no doubt about what is happeningWhat you describe makes perfect sense, it would still be nice to find that one out for sure.It appears to me if the card is older/slower, VM is low and does not have what most modern cards do (as in the last year or so) provide in fill rate, what you have suggested still has me scratching my head.. This is seen with any video card.. 256 or 768 matters not. I have used the same method on cards (2 years old and more) that are designed for FS9 use over FSX that have a less than optimal fill rate specs for even med-slider FSX use. Although releasing the CPU is key to any FSX performance increase... we ALL know that LOL!!

Really, Geof, I demonstrated above that there is no interpolation of ground textures at all. The only thing that the slider does is to restrict the display of the MIP maps. People really see what they want to see, and it often serves little purpose to show them differently.This thread itself is a typical example, full of confused claims based mostly on guesses or wishful thinking. And it started with the original claim that 1 meter textures display sharper when the slider is set to 15 cm. What that person has not noticed, nor anybody else here, it would seem, is that those are not 1 meter textures at all, not even 2 meters. He has a classic case of the Blurries and is obviously running the game with sliders set too high for his hardware. The high resolution, ground texture MIP maps are the first thing to be flushed from cache.There is no point in belaboring the obvious, and I do not want to burst anyone's bubble. After all, if people are happy believing all that, then that is all that counts.Best regards.Luis

No disagreement from me. I actually see no difference in sharpness other than the road textures in the different res's.However, I do see increased fps-and it can be quite significant for instance while taxiing on the ground at my home airport.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/