Sign in to follow this  
Guest mstram

Kids learning numbers / counting

Guest mstram

For any parents or teachers here, I'm interested in hearing how old your kid(s) were when they started to understand numbers , counting, and what methods you used to teach them. I'm guessing that they learned to verbally count before they could read and write ?I don't have kids, but I'm thinking of creating some educational software.From the little that I've seen so far, the common method seems to be to show one...two ..three ... XXXX number of objects along with either the words "one", "two", "three" or the numbers "1", "2" .. "3".I'm also curious how kids learn that seeing three (balls) for example, and the number / word "3" "three" means the same thing as three dogs .. cats ... boxes .. i.e. "things".Also if anyone here knows of or participates on a good teachers / educators forum / website, any links are apprerciated.Mike

Guest christianholmes

>For any parents or teachers here, I'm interested in hearing>how old your kid(s) were when they started to understand>numbers , counting, and what methods you used to teach them. >I'm guessing that they learned to verbally count before they>could read and write ?>>I don't have kids, but I'm thinking of creating some>educational software.>>From the little that I've seen so far, the common method seems>to be to show one...two ..three ... XXXX number of objects>along with either the words "one", "two", "three" or the>numbers "1", "2" .. "3".>>I'm also curious how kids learn that seeing three (balls) for>example, and the number / word "3" "three" means the same>thing as three dogs .. cats ... boxes .. i.e. "things".>>Also if anyone here knows of or participates on a good>teachers / educators forum / website, any links are>apprerciated.>>MikeWell, my older daughter (now 3) can count by pointing at various things and counting up. She is far from adding or subtracting though- I think at this age, it is more a recital than anything else- as in, she doesn't really know what numbers are, but if she associates each number with an object, she can 'count' all the objects. She's good at it now and can count up to 30 or so. I don't think she'll start picking up actual adding until they teach it in school. How they do that I have no idea.My younger one just makes stuff up (she's one). If you tell her she can have one M&M, she puts up three fingers and says "no, five", and then shuffles her fingers around, says "No, two", and countinues to spout out numbers she has memorized hoping I might agree to one of them that is more than one.The first thing is to get them to memorize the numbers in order. Generally a song works best for that. Then, you have to get them to realize each number goes with a different object. After that- well we are not there yet. She's turned her attention to other important skills, like calling virtually every person she sees a "poopy-head".

Guest mstram

>Well, my older daughter (now 3) can count by pointing at>various things and counting up. She is far from adding or>subtracting though- I think at this age, it is more a recital>than anything else- as in, she doesn't really know what>numbers are, but if she associates each number with an object,>she can 'count' all the objects. She's good at it now and can>count up to 30 or so. I don't think she'll start picking up>actual adding until they teach it in school. How they do that>I have no idea.I'm still looking up info on this, but my guess is that adding numbersfrom 0-9 is memorization, even if you use visual objects ... which is really a must for kids that young.E.g. put two things on the table... count them "1-2".Move them away, and put one object ... count it "1".Say "plus .....", as you bring the other two object back saying "two ...", adding them to the group, then count the new pile,... "How many now ?"Repeat a few thousand times with different combinations :)>My younger one just makes stuff up (she's one). If you tell>her she can have one M&M, she puts up three fingers and says>"no, five", and then shuffles her fingers around, says "No,>two", and countinues to spout out numbers she has memorized>hoping I might agree to one of them that is more than one.Wow, that's amazing a one year old even saying / remembering those words ! Probably learning from her sister eh ? :)>The first thing is to get them to memorize the numbers in>order. Generally a song works best for that. Then, you have>to get them to realize each number goes with a different>object. Well I may be wrong on this, but I think it's better to always have the corresponding number of objects present as the words / sounds are being learned. My initial thinking was the same as you,.. learn the sounds / words first, but I think we sometimes underestimate the brain power of kids. You could probably even have the words "one" and "1" off to the side / below the main objects being counted in their peripherial vision and I bet they would learn to associate the words / numbers and objects along with the spoken sounds all at once. I'll do some more research on that hypothesis :)After that- well we are not there yet. She's turned>her attention to other important skills, like calling>virtually every person she sees a "poopy-head".Well that is a vital skill too ! :)Mike