Sign in to follow this  
Alvega

API.dll crash

Guest Pilot533

Hi,I cant seem to get any luck here with this sim. On my vista system using sp2 I get the common msvcr80.dll crash that microsft has conveniently blamed on nvidias drivers, and nvidia has conveniently blamed on microsoft. Ok, fine Ill use my xp setup, but on my xp setup I get api.dll crashes and d3d9 crashes. I have seen hardly any posts on the forum about them, google doesnt help either. Does anyone know what to do about them, especially the api crashes? Installing dx doesnt help. Is this a known issue? Does the march upgrade fix anything? Maybe Mr. Taylor would like to comment?

The nV issue is usually related to using a menu in fullscreen.If that isnt involved in the repro steps, this could be something else.For instance, Nils pointed you to the VC redists, since an add-on that doesnt include the right one of those will cause crashes.So yes how it happens is crucial to diagnosis.

Guest Nils79

Sorry, got confused by the same file name.

Guest Pilot533

Thanks, it happens with the lds 767, maddog 2006, and the ariane 737, (the onyl heavies I have installed right now), it is a random crash, not a menu crash, it happens in windowed mode and fullscreen mode and is completley random, it never happens in the same place or time twice. Are those link for the api crash or msvcr80? Right now my main issue is the api.dll, since msvcr80 crashes in visat only so far and I want to get my xp setup working.

Guest Nils79

Did you install the runtime provided by Phil's link?If the CTDs still occur, deactivate your add-ons, which are using their own DLLs (dll.xml, modules folder).Also install the latest updates and SPs for your add-ons (e.g. latest Leveld SP2a) and if you are using FSinn/FScopilot make sure to use the latest versions.

Guest Pilot533

Thanks for the response, I already had the redist installed, but I reinstalled it anyway, I installed the march update for dx also. I get the crash randomly, its pretty much impossible to replicate it at the same data time and circumstance. Its not a menu crash, it just happens during the course of a normal flight, not because I clicked something, or anything else significant. I also have the latest sp for level d, but its not leveld, it happens with all of my addons. It is a larger problem.

Guest RichardL

Hi Mike,I've had the same FSX SP2 crashes. Only way I could eliminate them was to uninstall SP2.Richard

Guest Pilot533

Hi Richard,Yeah I was afraid of that, the problem is I cant use my cheyenne with sp1 only and its nice to have the added performance fixes of sp2. So Phil, is this a known issue? Have you heard of this before? Any planned fixes? It seems like there are many users with problems using sp2. I guess im lucky I dont have the menu crash too.I would also like to hear if any ati users are having trouble with sp2 or not, is it only the nvidia users? It does seem like a tough thing to pin on nvidia (although I can see the menu crash being a driver issue), it doesnt seem like a graphics problem to me, its completly random and has no odd side effects or tells that other graphics problems have, but I could certainly be wrong.

My situation is this:I never had a single BSOD and rarely a CTD before I installed Acceleration. During the time I had Acceleration installed, I had numerous BSODs and CTDs. I did not have the menu CTD that has been reported. The crashes were random. I got fed up and uninstalled Acceleration. Everything seemed back to normal until I had a BSOD shortly after landing at an airfield in Brazil in the Cessna(default). I had hoped it was a fluke but just the other day I had another BSOD. this time I was in the Baron. I had lowered my traffic settings. the time of day was different. the weather was differnt. The only constant was that the crash occurred shortly after landing.I've checked the dates on the dx files and some of them are the newer files. System restore wont 'roll back' the dx version on my system.I'm updating one driver after each BSOD in an attempt to track it down.they're pretty rare but they used not to happen at all and I dont run my computer that often. The last crash referenced a stop error that related to the CD Rom?? I dont think thats right.I'm hoping its my sound card. that would make more sense. (its an Audigy 2 value using the drivers that came with it)I'm sure it has something to do with the latest Dx versions requests/requirements and my hardware/drivers not being able to comply. its my best guess with my limited knowledge on the subject.EDIT: BTW - If anyone who has knowledge of how flight sim 'does its thing' under the hood, I would like to know what all happens shortly after you touch down at an airport. The scenario is consistent for me -- I land, I brake and slow down, I retract flaps, I start to head for parking and then BSOD! So I'd love to know what kinds of things happen after you land. I thought it might be AI and so I lowered my settings. I seem to recall SP2 having a panel update or something for AI and I also seem to recall that uninstalling didnt revert back all of those files. I'l have to check on that again.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Guest Pilot533

Hmm, A bsod is usually soemthing different, that is usually related to your hadware configuration, caused by overheating or a part that is failing. Ive never gotten a bsod with my current machine, ever, only those pesky "microsft flight simulator has encountered an error and need to close..." you know the rest.

I guess it could be unrelated but I never had a BSOD until I installed Acceleration one Saturday afternoon. By the end of the day I had had two BSODs and at least one CTD. I was angry. I gave up and tried again the next day.Thats how it went for the next week until I just had enough and uninstalled Acceleration.I've flown a lot since then and only had the two BSODs. I want them to go away completely but I need to know whats causing them to do that.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Guest Pilot533

I feel your pain, I wish fsx could be less tempermental so we could have our minds on flying and not on software problems. One thing you can always do to test your hardware is download occt, or orthos, they will stress your cpu and ram to their limits and let you know if anything is wrong. A somewhat stable pc should run for at least 11 hours, and a 100% stable system should run for 24. If I were you i would give that a try, if it fails download memtest86+ and if that detects errors it is your ram. If not it could be your gpu, cpu, or motherboard, it could alos be your psu, if you psu is on the way out it can cause these kinds of issues. If you want to test your psu you need to get a multimeter, if you want to know how to do it shoot me a pm.

Guest Nils79

Mike, do you get those errors with the default airplanes and are they happening in every location of the world or do you mainly fly the same route?I don't think it's a SP2 problem, because i have the LevelD too and i'm using FSX+XPack and i don't get errors like that.Would be helpful if you would post your dll.xml and exe.xml here.Nobody knows what you are exactly doing, all your add-ons, all your drivers etc.. so, 'i get CTD XYZ, please tell me the reason' will not work...