Sign in to follow this  
Alvega

API.dll crash

Guest Nils79

Without knowing the error code and involved driver, it's nearly impossible to help you. I'm only pretty sure that Acceleration doesn't cause your problems.You could monitor your temperatures and check the Windows eventlog for critical errors.http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Guest Pilot533

Its not a hardware issue with temps or anything like that, I am an experienced system builder and overclocker so my temps and hardware are always in check. There was no driver in the crash dialog, and even viewer doesnt havea record of the crash for some reason. Its just a random api.dll APPCRASH. What causes an api.dll crash usually?

Guest Nils79

My post #15 is referring to Dave (post #12).I wrote something for you in my post #14.If you are an 'experienced system builder' you should know that it isn't as easy as your question insinuates and that it is necessary to develop a schema to isolate the possible source of error. API=application programming interface.. i'm pretty sure that there is more than only one possible reason for a CTD...

Guest Pilot533

"If you are an 'experienced system builder' you should know that it isn't as easy as your question insinuates and that it is necessary to develop a schema to isolate the possible source of error. API=application programming interface.. i'm pretty sure that there is more than only one possible reason for a CTD..."Yeah well Im giving you all that I can provide, If I had any more information you can bet I would give it to you, btw I dont know if it makes any difference but I was running active sky, trackir, and fsinn. If I had any more information about how to replicate the crash in fsx dont you think i would have posted it? Here is my dll.xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?> - Launchdll.xmlFalseFalse - Level-D SimulationsFalseFalseModulesLVLD.dll- Object Placement ToolTrueFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKMission Creation Kitobject_placement.dll- Traffic ToolboxTrueFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKEnvironment KitTraffic Toolbox SDKtraffictoolbox.dll- Visual Effects ToolTrueFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKEnvironment KitSpecial Effects SDKvisualfxtool.dll- Maddog 2006FalseFalseC:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XModulesLeonardoSH.dll- FSUIPC 4FalseModulesFSUIPC4.dll- FSCopilotFalseModulesFSCopilot.dllWhere do I find exe.xml?Thanks for all of the help.

Given one of the scenarios is a mismatched msvc80.dll used by an add-on, you need to remove all add-ons and see if that helps.it is the 1st step in an isolate-diagnose-repeat process.

Guest Pilot533

Thank you fro the reply Phil, but I am running a dual boot with vista 64 and xp 32. On this setup we are talking about (XP) I dont get an msvcr80.dll crash, that is only on my vista 64 +sp2 system (on which I have removed sp2 and i have yet to get an msvcr80.dll crash), this last crash was on my xp +sp2 system and I have not gotten the msvcr80.dll crash on that yet, only api.dll.

Guest Pilot533

Hi, If you scroll up a couple posts you can see that I posted my dll.xml file, and I asked where do i find the exe.xml file? I cant tell you if it happens with default aircraft because I never fly them, but it doesnt happen with only the lds 767, it happens with all of my addons. There are tonns of posts about sp2 causing problems on this forum, I dont think this is because of my addons. Im using the latest nvidia drivers (169.20?).

Guest Nils79

Mike,that was my post i wrote yesterday to you, before you posted your dll.xml...Thanks for posting your ddl.xml! The exe.xml doesn't exist by default, it is used, if an add-on loads an exe file with FSX.I'm not sure if FScopilot (1.7) is already fully FSX SP2 and Vista (64) compatible and the last time i read the LevelD forum, there were a lot of problems because of FScopilot. So, the chances are good to find the source by disabling FSCopilot. To do so, please make a back up of your dll.xml and copy it to your desktop. Remove the FScopilot entry from your original dll.xml or set disable to true:FSCopilotFalseModulesFSCopilot.dlland then run a test flight.FSX or SP2 it-self will never cause CTDs, it's always an add-on, which is not fully FSX or SP2 ready, or somebody has ruined his FSX installation, or nVidia is involved.Regarding your Vista installation.. it's a little bit confusing. If you only uninstalled SP2, i would recommend you to make a clean installation of FSX with both SPs and then to install your add-ons, one by one. Again, FSCopilot is critical and what version of active sky do you use? Make sure to use the latest service packs/updates for AS and make sure that your add-ons are supporting Vista.Unfortunately not every add-on is fully Vista and especially Vista64 compatible...

Guest Pilot533

Hi,Thanks for the continuous replies, I appreciate the help. I know this can get pretty confusing, but the api.dll crash is happening only with my xp fsx sp2 setep, my vista setup was crashing with the msvcr80.dll, but I have removed fsx sp2 and I dont have that problem anymore, afaik the vista setup is working fine with fsx and sp1 only. The problem lies in my xp fsx sp2 setup, I have only gotten api.dll crashes, I am using the latest sp's for the 767 (2a), the latest service pack for asx also. The addons I run are asx, fsinn 1.3 for fsx, the lds 767, utx, gex. and fex, I also have the maddog 2006, da piper cheyenne, and ariane 737 installed, I have had the api.dll crash with all of those addons except for the cheyenne and Im sure that is because I have yet to take a flight more than a half hour with it. Btw the lds 767 does have an issue with fscopilot, but that is easilly fixed by moving the level d entry above the fscopilot entry in the dll.xml.

In my opinion you have no hope of diagnosing this on either system with either SP1 or SP2 unless you start with a clean FSX with no add-ons.Unless you do that, you are unable to authoritatively isolate the problem.

Guest Pilot533

I understand that Phil, might take me some time to get back with those results, It looks like im going to have to reinstall vista anyway so thats gonna take some time. Btw, what do you think about what nvidia's drivers have to do with this? Im getting pretty close to picking up a pair of 3870's because i have heard so many people complaining about issues with their drivers and lack of support for fsx.

Yesterday i started getting this api.dll crashes out of nothing. Didn't install anything, had been flying without problems and some hours after when i went for another flight...bam. Api.dll crashes all the time. I isolated the problem, it was TrackIR causing the crashes. Everytime i flew without it, no errors. If i enabled it and tried to go from fullscreen to windowed mode and then back...api.dll crash. I installed and reinstalled TrackIR and have yet to see a crash after that.Have you tried a flight without TrackIR? Maybe your problem is different,but it's worth a try.Cheers.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest Pilot533

Hmm, I have trackir also, and I run it with every flight.

I know you have it, that's why i asked if you tried disabling it to see if it fixes the api.dll error.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White