Sign in to follow this  

so what really is the verdict with Vista?

Guest Bonkey

Interesting article on Vista....http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2276003,00.aspI've had Vista about 6 months. No trouble, but considering how long & how much it took to develop, you can't help wonder where the so called 'WOW' is.Honestly, its no significant advantage over XP & I sometimes wished I stayed with XP.

Guest SpeedBird192

PaperFlyer,When you started mentioning "evil" I pretty much tuned out as you contribution isn't terribly helpful.I have Vista x64 on my MacPro along with OS X 10.5.2. OS X is rock solid and very usable. Vista works great so long as I don't play games on it. Hence why I have a dedicated PC for gaming that is now running WinXP 32bit.Every single article I've read AND my own testing shows Vista as being about 10-20% slower across the board.BUT, rumor is that Microsoft are pushing the OS development group to get the next OS out in 2009 rather than 2010. It should be obvious why this is significant, but Vista is NOT doing so well on a consumer front and a business front.New eye candy on a OS doesn't make it better. Eye candy is reserved for gaming, like FSX for example. Currently WinXP IS the best choice for anyone that wants to run FSX or any game. Have you run Crysis DX10 under Vista? OMG is it slow

Most of that improvement is deep down under the hood, far away from the user interface.It's the same as the difference between FS2002 and FS2004.When FS2004 was introduced there was a flood of complaints that it was "just a patch to FS2002", "FS2002 with some fancy graphics", etc. etc.It isn't, it's a major upgrade, but most of that's invisible to the naked eye.

>PaperFlyer,>>When you started mentioning "evil" I pretty much tuned out as>you contribution isn't terribly helpful.Considering that he didn't use the word "evil" until the next to last paragraph, you obviously "tuned out" far before that point......especially since what he wrote was mostly positive experience with Vista... :-roll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Until someone can show me where FXS runs, smoother, faster, or looks much better running on Vista vs. XP, why should I bother to upgrade? Will, Vista make FSX look better than with GEX & UTX added and running on XP? If not, I will save my money.Will Vista run FSX so much faster on my CoreDuo, 8800GT, 2 gig unit than XP that my jaw drops and I wet my pants in glee? If not, I will save my money.Nothing against Vista. Unlike FS9 to FSX, I just don't see a reason to upgrade.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

You're right for upgrades, but there's no reason to not go Vista with new machines by now unless you're bound to some software for which there's no Vista version you can use (or no viable Vista compatible alternative).