Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Texture Help Please - little Black Boxes!

Hello,Using FSX (SP1 and SP2) on what was a fast machine 2 years ago - AMD 64 3800+, 3gigs of ram and 2 Nvidia 6800's in SLI mode. I added FEX,GEX and Ul Terr-X USA.My system does really well pegged at 20FPS. My problems are the usual texture load times but they are usually OK. What I have now are little Black Boxes that seem to replace blinking textures like A/C lights and Airport Approach Lights. Today, I tried to land at KCAE and the little black boxes did not "clear" into real scenery until I was about a mile from the runway.Any ideas as to how to address this?Thanks in advance,Ron SagelNear KCHS

>Hello,>>Using FSX (SP1 and SP2) on what was a fast machine 2 years ago>- AMD 64 3800+, 3gigs of ram and 2 Nvidia 6800's in SLI mode.>I added FEX,GEX and Ul Terr-X USA.>>My system does really well pegged at 20FPS. My problems are>the usual texture load times but they are usually OK. >>What I have now are little Black Boxes that seem to replace>blinking textures like A/C lights and Airport Approach Lights.>Today, I tried to land at KCAE and the little black boxes did>not "clear" into real scenery until I was about a mile from>the runway.>>Any ideas as to how to address this?>I attribute the black boxes to only having 256 megs of video memory, and a 2 year old video card.When I upgrade in about a month or two, I'll know for sure if I'm right. :)In your case, you might have two 256 vram 6800 cards, but that's still only 256 per card. And the 6800 was a primo card in its day. Just like my 7800GT was. But, I'm getting momentary (not as long as what you describe) black boxes too, that disappear quickly. I expect that to change when I build a new computer here shortly.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Just a lame bug....I still get them with my new card (512mb)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>Just a lame bug....I still get them with my new card (512mb)Yep.......I must agree. I get them from time to time myself.

For what seems like the ten-thousandth time, pay attention to what gets changed by addons. ALL lights in FSX depend on one bitmap located in the ..EffectsTexture folder: fx_2.bmp (DXT1 noAlpha format).If any addon alters, replaces or deletes this file, you will see 'boxes' rather than the pretty lights...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N

BillI think they are talking about the "SLOW" call for the file as compared to RTM and SP1... in SP2 on Nvidia adapters I see the same issue but its VERY FAST in recovery because I am using an insanely fast systemAS you change views the light textures in the distance (or even on the aircraft in some cases)tend to load slow producing a black box. On my systems if I see it happen, and it does if the area is a heavy hitter, I see a momentary black box and then the light appears... its only a quick flash on my system and it only happens from time to time however on slower systems I have seen that draaaaaaaag out and appear much longer before the light finally renders.If its ALWAYS a black box that means the textures were damaged or replaced with non-compliant textures and i see that posted all the time too but in this case they are seeing a SP2-Nv issue, I am sureI never saw this using ATI, ever

No...I get it using an ATI x1900xt. Never happened in sp1 or rtm. In sp2...black box briefly, then it morphs into good looking scenery elements.Bob

I wish there was a way to keep that sucker and all its mips in vram all the time, but I'm not entirely sure it's the texture that's the problem. It only seems to affect lights with additive blend too, such as position lights, vasi etc, tower beacons as well. Haven't seen it happen yet on animated particles either, additive or not. For instance it'll occasionally happen on the static elements of my Alphasim SR-71's burners, but not on the rotating particles. It's a strange one for sure. Since finding the flashing cloud fix I've been digging in the shaders for a way to fix it, haven't found anything yet though.Seems like it might be bringing the poly in initially with a multiply or straight alpha blend material and then some number of frames later going oh... oops, additive.Dunno, a shot in the dark. :)

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest Nick_N

>No...I get it using an ATI x1900xt. Never happened in sp1 or>rtm. In sp2...black box briefly, then it morphs into good>looking scenery elements.>>BobREPHRASELOL I never saw this using a MODERN ATI card, everDEFINE: R6x and higherSorryI never did use the older ATI cards in FSX. Last ATI card I used before the R6 batches was the x800xt PEI do think it may be relative to the older cores only, but someone else would have to chime it to see if that assessment holds.DEFINE: Older cores= before R6x and ANYTHING by nvidia currently available

I'm in agreement with Nick. The program quickly updates it but it's still just a little annoying getting those black boxes at first. They then become AI aircraft landing lights, airport runway lights, etc...

Alexander Alonso

>For what seems like the ten-thousandth time, pay attention to>what gets changed by addons. ALL lights in FSX depend>on one bitmap located in the ..EffectsTexture folder:>fx_2.bmp (DXT1 noAlpha format).>>If any addon alters, replaces or deletes this file, you will>see 'boxes' rather than the pretty lights...But it's only momentary! Then it's back to pretty lights.The only thing that could have changed it on my system is...the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche. :)Since it's only momentary, I expect it to be even more momentary on a faster system than mine.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

lol...This card, albeit older, has been an amazing performer. Even up to major 3d games its held its own remarkably.I think this afternoons delivery will include my 8800GTS (g92)512. I hope I don't hate it, its the first time for years running a nvidia card. Seemed to be the best bang for the buck at the moment.Cheers,Bob

>The only thing that could have changed it on my system>is...the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche. :)Nope. We supply our own custon .fx files and bitmaps. We never tinker with default stuff... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>The only thing that could have changed it on my system>>is...the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche. :)>>Nope. We supply our own custon .fx files and bitmaps. We never>tinker with default stuff... ;)>I know you don't tinker with default stuff :) I mentioned it only because I knew that you all could not have messed with the default file, and to show that I don't have any add-on that could have done it.Therefore I can only conclude that the momentary black boxes must have something to do with system speed in my case, rather than some add-on messing with the light file. However, some people are getting persistent black boxes, not momentary ones. For them, it may very well be an overwritten light file, or a slower system, or both.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett