Sign in to follow this  
Guest JIMJAM

fex or activesky

Guest ericd19087

anyone know if fex or activesky has a big performance hit? any information would be helpfull and if someone has a preference of these 2 would like to hear some feedback.thankeric

I don't have FEX, but I can tell you ASX has a slight performance hit depending on the number of weather layers you add. Not much of a hit though with the default settings.

Guest PPSFA

FEX actually improves my FPS here a bit, your milage may vary

On single core or early dual core (Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo) CPUs AS will cause a severe performance hit while downloading and processing weather.This will cause severe stutters and slowdown in FS every X minutes (where X is the update interval) for a few seconds to minutes.On a Core 2 Duo or better those problems are a thing of the past.

Guest JIMJAM

I run both.Asx is mainly a weather program which creates some realistic weather patterns. Tons of options where everything can be altered. Winds,vis turbulence,fog,wind shear,gust,wake turb ect ect.Now the bad.....At least on mine, the initial load up takes forever to load. I also occasionally get some wierd wind effects. Combined with the Looooooong load time of MyTrafficX, I stopped using ASX.I love their Xgraphics. The water,runway and other textures are worth every cent to me.FEX is strickly eye candy. All the clouds look really great but even after foliong around with it for months Im still have no clue what im doing. I just look at the pictures or descriptions I like and load it. No matter what the weather, FEX is always going to load the same clouds and sky.At least I think thats what going on. Confusing to me. But bottom line the clouds and skies look incredible.Get both or all 3 like me.If I had to only pick one. FEX

The initial load for ASX is reduced drastically if you start it before FSX.Goes down by several minutes.

Guest JIMJAM

I load Activesky and use its icon to load FSX.Still have time to fix supper,eat,walk the dog and get back in time.