Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Anyone use or try the ORBX FTX scenery?

Guest Nick_N

We are not competing products at allThey can not be compared side-by-side. We do not alter core FSX files such as autogen descriptions, nor do we create scenery bgl's, replace autogen with custom, create landclass files, etcAll GEXn does is provide an upgrade texture replacement and in the process we reconfigure autogen from the default library to optimize its use. We also upgrade UTX at the same time because their product provides landclass upgrades with some textures and in order to be sure UTX users get the full benefit of both, we match and upgrade the UTX textures with an option in the interface.GEXn will not interfere with any area outside its coverage for autogen and other elements. There is no configuration tool involved and there is no need to switch anything on/off. You simply install, defrag as you should with any large file replacement add-on, and go. No changes or configuration considerations are needed after that because we use the default system in FSX to place the textures. The user can then take full advantage of UTX and other landclass products on the market which we also test to make sure the textures land properly with them running. We encourage their use becuase it allows the user to change an area if they wish and are not restricted to one texture layout/landclass or look. The landclass products such as SceryTech, etc, will swap GEXn textures based on the custom landclass calls so the user is not bound by one product or another and GEXn will follow them all correctly in texture layout.There are minor texture bleed-overs from USACAN to Europe right now however they are matched to their counterparts and present no change in the environment, and, when we complete Europe, all will match as it should. There will be 3 releases that cover the entire world and they should be complete before the end of the year. Some will not be able to afford 400+ dollars to cover the entire world in FTX, or may not wish to wait for their area to be completed. The products complement each other in that respect. If a user can not afford to cover the world they will still receive an awesome upgrade with FTX, UTX, GEXn no matter where they fly. In that, there is no competition or competing. To us it's about what works for everyone, and, allows choices.

I am extremely grateful to have both products-and I also don't see them as competing products at all. A shot of both (you can figure out which is which)....boy has reality gone up 10 fold for simmers lately! :-) Many thanks to these add in folks!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186504.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186505.jpg

>I am extremely grateful to have both products-and I also>don't see them as competing products at all. I agree. :-)

Guest fsxmissionguy

I also agree that there's not much comparison between these two products .. and am merely pointing out for those considering a purchase of one or the other that they are in fact, not competing products.Neither covers an area the other does, and FTX is considerably more expensive given the area it covers.Someone suggested that FTX covers an area as large as Western Europe, which I don't think is the case.Both are great products, and if you have the funds, worth a purchase.

FSXMissionguyYou state "Both products are priced at $29.95 USD and are comparable ... however for the money, you get a much larger coverage area with Ground Environment X (although with FTX, you get enhanced night lighting.)"This is a bit misleading. GEX is "just" replacement textures for a large area and optimised autogen placement. Now do not get me wrong, I am not bashing GEX as I am eagerly awaiting their much anticipated european texture set but the two just can not be compared. FTX-Blue is a complete scenery package for a smaller area with custom textures, custom autogen, landclass, rivers, lakes, coast outlines, airports (with 60 + more coming for free), roads with traffic (not just the motorways) and of course UTX-like night lighting. Both are must-haves and complement each other as long as the do not cover the same area.Jean-Paul

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

>Someone suggested that FTX covers an area as large as Western>Europe, which I don't think is the case.>I was only repeating what is says on the product page.As regards your map, would I be correct in saying that some map projections distort the land sizes from north to south? Or is it as you travel away from the Equator? I'm not saying that your image does this but if anybody can provide actual square mileage coverage (FTX Blue region v western Europe) info I'd be interested to hear.

Hi there,looks like you forget that maps "lie" because they distort areas depending on latitude and other projection parameters (lots of interesting articles on the web about that!). Try Wikipedia or other online geographic database instead: all of Europe covers ~10 million sq km and western Europe (depending on your definition what that is) covers 1.5-4 million sq km. The area covered by FTX BLUE is 2.5-3 million sq km; it's difficult to measure exactly because its boundary doesn't align with state or provincial boundaries. Thus, if you follow Wikipedia's definition of Western Europe, FTX BLUE is actually bigger but if you include northern and southern Europe in your definition then western Europe is bigger. That's the numbers game for those to whom size matters ;-)Cheers, Holger

Guest TPN_Turnip

OK Gang, here's the rub!I installed FTXI am getting consistant 30 - 50 FPSThis product is awesome as most of you probably agree. GET IT! You will not be sorry.Now UTX.The water in FSX stinks. Agreed?I now need something to replace the water and some improvements on the other ares on the globe. In walks UTX.The main question that needs answered is, If I install UTX and it covers the Seattle area. Then I install FTX for Seattle, will they co-exist peacefully? Will I still get the great FTX environment in Seattle with UTX installed in that area?TurnipSPECS:VISTA Home Basic 580 WATT Sunbeam PowerCrucial Ballistix 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAMASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6550MSI nVidia NX8800GT 512 PCI-E 2.0SB LIVE 24250 GB WD SATA HD 120 GB WD IDE HDftxsupporter.gif[/url]

Hi Turnip,yes, FTX and UT-X will co-exist. It wouldn't make sense for FTX to duplicate features already provided by UT-X, like detailed roads and water bodies. We're still working on the feature set for FTX Pacific Northwest but the idea is to focus on those aspects of the landscape and scenery that UT-X doesn't touch.Australia requires a different approach because there is no UT-X available and the FSX default landscape detail is pretty poor compared to the default landscape detail of North America and Europe. Cheers, Holger

Guest Nick_N

Lets not guess and just check the official sources if it really matters to anyone.Asia (plus the Middle East) 17,212,000 Sq. Miles (44,579,000 Sq. Km) 30.0% Africa 11,608,000 Sq. Miles (30,065,000 Sq. Km) 20.3% North America 9,365,000 Sq. Miles (24,256,000 Sq. Km) 16.3% South America 6,880,000 Sq. Miles (17,819,000 Sq. Km) 12.0% Antarctica 5,100,000 Sq. Miles (13,209,000 Sq. Km) 8.9% Europe 3,837,000 Sq. Miles (9,938,000 Sq. Km) 6.7% Australia (plus Oceania) 2,968,000 Sq. Miles (7,687,000 Sq. Km) 5.2% A few Visual ComparesAustralia: http://www.ga.gov.au/education/facts/dimensions/compare.htmIf anyone wishes to scale the currently available (or future) FTX sector(s) to the maps in the link above it will present a much more correct visual representation of area in relation to other countries and/or continents.Europe to USA interactive: http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/...parison-map.htmI really do not think it matters however since the subject was brought up and it appears to be a topic of interest, there is the information and proper scale required to compare without question

Guest TPN_Turnip

Thx Holger, I live in the Tacoma area and have been here for 25 years. I am a real world pilot and fly thru this area alot. Let me tell ya, there is probably no prettier place to fly than here. If FTX needs a beta tester, let me know heheTurnipSPECS:VISTA Home Basic 580 WATT Sunbeam PowerCrucial Ballistix 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAMASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6550MSI nVidia NX8800GT 512 PCI-E 2.0SB LIVE 24250 GB WD SATA HD 120 GB WD IDE HDftxsupporter.gif[/url]

Hi Turnip,Can't have enough real-world pilot on board of a project ;-) Thanks for the offer; I'll send you an email.I lived in Bellingham for a couple of years and then in Vancouver (BC) for a number of years after that. It sure is a beautiful area.Cool website, by the way ;-)Cheers, Holger

Guest sillyeagle

>But I can be very happy with a small but perfect region. I>never ever fly all over the world anyway. In fact, even with>default FSX I've always flown above the same small regions for>weeks and weeks or even monthsSame here. I've spent weeks in the vancouvner+ area alone, and the FTX coverage area is much larger, so its just the type of scenery package I like. The custom land class is one of the best parts. I won't need all of the packages though, just the blue and gold will do, as far as Australia goes.GEX textures are nice but they don't transform the experience like FTX does. GEX combined with UTX offers a similar experience to FTX, though again I think FTX does it in a way thats more beautiful and natural, with lots of hand crafted detail. I would just like to see more water data that what it offers.I find it interesting that GEX team members feel the need to step into every FTX thread that appears on avsim.

>Hi there,>>looks like you forget that maps "lie" because they distort>areas depending on latitude and other projection parameters>(lots of interesting articles on the web about that!). Try>Wikipedia or other online geographic database instead: all of>Europe covers ~10 million sq km and western Europe (depending>on your definition what that is) covers 1.5-4 million sq km.>The area covered by FTX BLUE is 2.5-3 million sq km; it's>difficult to measure exactly because its boundary doesn't>align with state or provincial boundaries. Thus, if you follow>Wikipedia's definition of Western Europe, FTX BLUE is actually>bigger but if you include northern and southern Europe in your>definition then western Europe is bigger. >>That's the numbers game for those to whom size matters ;-)>>Cheers, Holger:D lol yeah... It's called Mercator Projection.And no, those two products are not comparable. It's a completely different approach with a completely different result. Heiko