Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Anyone use or try the ORBX FTX scenery?

Guest fsxmissionguy

LOL Mango,I hadn't considered that some would argue that because of Mercator Projection, somehow the previous map was distorted. I won't argue that it isn't. Instead, I've made a new map.Here's a Mercator Projection, showing the relatively small area of Flight Terrain X coverage vis a vis GEX, and the claim that the coverage is equal to the size of Western Europe:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186535.jpgJudge for yourself, but I think that FTX is a great product with great potential. It's also an expensive product, once you consider what it's going to cost to complete the coverage of Earth. If you have the money to purchase it though, I don't think you will be sorry.I believe that FTX and GEX are comparable products, from the standpoint of improved textures at near ground level. You can see from the FTX product page the other neat features of this product, like accurate roads, etc ... but I think the vast majority of the "wow factor" of this product is the ground textures/autogen integration. Secondly, accurate coastlines ... but you don't see those unless you're near the coast.From the ground texture standpoint, GEX and FTX are comparable. I've seen people compare them, and I compared them myself when deciding on which one I would purchase.GEX won out in my purchase decision because it covers the area that I want to fly in most often, is a vastly larger area of coverage, and has comparable ground textures. Road traffic and the other features FTX offered didn't interest me as much, because the default roads in FSX in areas that I usually fly in are already accurate and populated with road traffic.For Aussie simmers, who didn't previously enjoy such accuracy, FTX is definitely a must-have product. If you must choose between Fosters or FTX ... well, I'm not sure which one wins out, but either way you go you can't be too far wrong.I have no dog in this fight. I think both products serve their niche well. Just trying to help those who have yet make a purchase decision to do so with a larger set of opinions.

Are we arguing about coverage area... ? :D Well, i flew GA VFR and IFR above AU Blue for several month now and still haven't discovered everything. And those 60+ free photo real airfields (to be released very soon) will keep us very busy - no doubt... It's a complete (!) scenery addon and there are more additions like detailed Cites and major airports to come. Those are specially designed to blend perfect into those FTX regions. I don't want to sound like i advertise, but IMO we are talking about the most impressive scenery upgrade created for MSFS. It took me away from my usual routes in Europe and the US and invited me to discover a 'new' continent, which i never visited before. I am very thankful for this great experience !HeikoAnd btw - i have spent much more money on aircraft which i barely use (because there is always a better one...).

>It took me away from my usual routes in Europe and the US and invited me to discover a >'new' continent, which i never visited before.Yes, same here. It's so good that I don't care it's not my own country or that I've never flown there before: it is too good to NOT fly there. I am flying there all the time and can't imagine going back to default or whatever. (And that is while I bought UTX for Europe, where I live, about two weeks before FTX was released: it's cool to do VFR flights there, but the the overall looks and feel of FTX is so good, that I couldn't care less about UTX anymore.) I've always dreamt of realistic and 'full' scenery with good fps and FTX fullfilled my dream. This is FS11 to me. It's a dream come true. I still can't believe how good it looks and how real it is.

So when FTX covers any parts of North America, UTX and Genesis mesh will bring it up a level? Super FTX? Sounds tasty.But then, of course, my GEX will be kaput, no?

Guest tailspin1945

Add me to your beta-tester list, Holger!I've been flying since 1966 and flew all over the northwest USA out of NAS Whidbey Is. in A-6 Intruders and general aviation aircraft from Cubs to King Airs. I've been involved in software development for almost as long, too; so I know being a beta tester means more than just getting a free sneak preview. But more to the point, I'm absolutely stunned by the effect of adding FTX (Blue and Gold, so far) to FSX. For the last 15 years I've been flying sightseeing rides in vintage biplanes and warbirds near San Diego, so I figured I'd done enough aerial sightseeing for a lifetime. (http://tinyurl.com/6df29b) Despite that, I've spent hours recently in the Beaver or Gooney Bird getting to know Eastern and Southern Australia.For my money FTX simply makes FSX worth having

Hello tailspin1945,thanks for the offer and enthusiasm. I'll be in touch offline.Great photo collection too!Cheers, Holger