Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

What makes my AI traffic drag FSX FPS down so much?

Dirk,I'm having a crack at putting a cover on the program I wrote (I just made it a simple console program before, which was very specific to my computer). If I can get it in order, I'll try and post it in the AVSIM library.Also, two things I had a go at with ground vehicles - deleting the soundai folders from the ground vehicle folders and added the ....texture line to their texture.cfg files. I've got ground vehicles at 100% now, with much less of a hit on frames than before.Cheers,Bryn

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Guest wcs33

Perhaps a "Beta" Program on Ground VehiclesBryn,Your ground vehicle FPS improvement sounds promising...if you are going to write a small batch program for upload, perhaps you can develop a beta on the concept by just backing up and modifying the GV folders as you've described, and we can do a "before/after" FPS check.If it works, then there will be a basis to really think about the AI stuff in general--which, of course, everyone already has customized, so it would be hard to assess impact across systems.Thanks for your efforts! I never really cared for the GV sounds anyways!

>Dirk,>>I'm having a crack at putting a cover on the program I wrote>(I just made it a simple console program before, which was>very specific to my computer). If I can get it in order, I'll>try and post it in the AVSIM library.>>Also, two things I had a go at with ground vehicles - deleting>the soundai folders from the ground vehicle folders and added>the ....texture line to their texture.cfg files. I've got>ground vehicles at 100% now, with much less of a hit on frames>than before.>>Cheers,>>BrynBryn, if you decide to release the program, pls make sure to bump up this thread. Thanks for the tips and tweaks.Dirk.

In order to get a decent compromise between performance and quality in clouds with AA you need to set AA to 4X Multisampling with Super Transparency set. 8xs does give better quality with decent performance in general, but clouds will drag FPS down.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

It took me about 20 mins without the batch file to add the ....texture line to texture.cfg files where needed and remove soundai in the ground vehilces. Don't know if this voodoo helps, I have to check myself yet, but doesn't seen to hurt. Btw, those texture folders that don't contain texture dds files shouldn't be intevened with the updated texture.cfg -s I think.

Dirk, let us know how you get on. If you notice an improvement, I'll keep working on the program.Also, if there are no texture files in the folder, you should still try adding a final fallback to the texture.cfg folder (to the fsx/texture folder).B.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

>Dirk, let us know how you get on. If you notice an improvement, >I'll keep working on the program.>Also, if there are no texture files in the folder, you should still >try adding a final fallback to the texture.cfg folder (to the fsx/texture folder).Bryn, subjectively it seems I can add some more traffic on the roads free of charge. I modified texture.cfg files in the boats as well (hard to calculate the benefit though). Definitely doesn't spoil anything. Thanks for your last comment, I thought those empty ones shouldn't be modified. Unfortunately I won't be able to manually change all ~160 ai planes in MyTrafficAircraft folder, so your batch converter would be so useful.Thanks,Dirk.

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

>Alternatively, >>If an AI AC 'exits' section looks like this: >>>'exits' (should be square brackets)>number_of_exits = 2>exit.0 = 0.4, 42.1, -7.9, 10.5, 0 >exit.1 = 0.4, -48.5, 6.0, -0.0, 1 >>>Change the last digit in exit.0 from 0 to 3 >>That will de-activate the jetways and traffic around the>individual AI aircraft. >>Kind regards >>Jaap WOW that made a real difference when nearing a big airport/city.there were so many aircraft.cfg files in mytraffic folder i had to use a program called "HandyFile find & Replace" and it changed em all....

Guest baksteen33

Hi Dirk, JFYI, MyTraffic doesn't use fallbacks any more. Since v.4.0 if memory isn't failing. Kind regards Jaap

Hi Tom,Don't wish to hijack this thread, but this was the only place I could find you.Spotted this photo on the www and thought of you and your love affair with this awesome old war-bird.

>Hi Tom,>>Don't wish to hijack this thread, but this was the only place>I could find you.>Spotted this photo on the www and thought of you and your love>affair with this awesome old war-bird.>Thanks for that! It would make a great background wallpaper!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>Hi Dirk, JFYI, MyTraffic doesn't use fallbacks any more.>Since v.4.0 if memory isn't failing. >>Kind regards >>Jaap Jaap, care to elaborate, pls? The texture.cfg files are still full of fallbacks in the AI planes installed by MYT. If you mean to say FSX does not read them anymore, may I ask about your source of this knowledge?

Guest baksteen33

Hi Bryn and Dirk, First off, MyTraffic started going down the 'no fallback route' during FS9. Because - amongst other factors - it was good for fluidity if the individual aircraft textures were in the individual folders. We haven't looked into yet with FSX, but assume it's more or less the same. When hundreds of objects come into 'sight' and they use multiple textures with multiple fallbacks, the amounts of search loops are amazing. Apart form the handful of FSX(GA) aircraft I forgot to include in my previous mention, sorry Dirk :-), MTX doesn't use fallbacks or texture.cfgs for AC textures. Do you mean Ultimate Traffic X maybe? The (newest, FSX SDK) MTX AC need their nightlights in the individual texture folders as they are custom made. HST, I neglect whether 'this opposite approach' might have a large impact on memory consumption for example? OTOH, since these 'auxiliary textures' often are very small... Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Guest baksteen33

Thanks for the feedback, Sir. :-) Indeed, a pretty dramatic effect. FWIW, I'm still 'contemplating' whether this has to be a 100% approach or whether a couple of jetways can remain active? OTOH, now the final MTX v.5.1 aircraft bits have been released... There likely is some room for improvement here. Did you check for Easter eggs? ;-) Cheers and kind regards Jaap