Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Nick N - A Question re FSX Install

Hi,I have just bought a new rig and I am just about to install FSX.I have a 500 GB fast hard drive with the OS on the C drive.Should I just go ahead and install FSX in the default path or should I create, say, a 50 GB partition on the C drive and install FSX to the separate partition.Thanks,Pete

Hello,There is only one reason to do this : install your Operating System on the C: partition, and all you applications and documents on a second partition.This way, if you need to reinstall the OS, you can even safely format the C: drive, without loosing everything else.You would have to reinstall all applications anyway afterwards, but it will be much faster.So make a 100 GB or so for the C: drive (that is largely enough), and a 400 GB for your applications, and you are set.What I also would recommend, is to make a small partition (5GB or so) andput the windows swapfile on it. Afterwards, run a good defrag program to keep your HD up to speed.And if you would happen to have a second hard drive, I would recommend to install FSX on that one.Jan

Different partitions on the same drive don't do anything except maybe help you stay organised.Different physical harddisks would give you better loading and seek times.

Thanks to both posters for your response.I do have a spare physical hard drive and I think I will install FSX on that drive.Thanks,Pete

Guest UlfB

Vista. If you install FSX on another drive than c:, Vista won't bother that much about protecting FSX files. You'll have less problems with add ons. If you run Vista, do follow the advice of Jan.Ulf B

Hi UlfB,I have Vista as my OS.I am not sure what you mean.Are you saying it is best to use Jans partition method on the one drive, or are you saying to install on a separate drive?(Jan's post did recommend using a separate drive.)Thanks,Pete

Guest UlfB

Pete,I've installed FSX on a separate drive. If you install FSX on your c drive. Vista have some special protection for files on the c drive. People are compaining of problems altering and saving fsx files in Vista. I have never had such problems with fsx installed on a separate drive.Ulf B

Hi Ulf,Thanks for your response.I presume you have intalled all your addons to the same separate drive as FSX.Do you have any problems with addons installed to the separate drive?For example PMDG 747X, UTX or GEX?Thanks,Pete

Guest UlfB

No problems at all. But some installers defaults to an install folder such as c:program files, and in some cases I let the installer have it's way. I have GEX, FSX SDK and TrackIR installed on the c drive. All other add ons are installed on the fsx drive. PMDG 747X and UTX USA, Canada and Europe are installed at the default locations, that is on the fsx drive.Ulf B

Guest Nick_N

Never partition2 drives with no partitions is the best choice.. A single drive with no partitions is the next bestIn either case, do not let the drives free space fall below 25%. if you do, performance will start to drop. I keep my disk free space at 35% or higher and replace a drive if it goes over that amount.

Thanks Nick N and all posters for the information.My fate is sealed.....I shall install FSX on my spare hard drive and see what eventuates!!!Thanks once again,Pete

Guest Nick_N

just make sure the 2nd drive is not a cheap/old IDE, or an externalIf the 2nd drive is a decent spec SATA your better off on 2.Otherwise the single 500 with everything on it and no partitions would be better.I would put FSX on the faster of the 2 drives if your primary concern is FSX performance. Both drives are important but if a choice is required between HDD specs, FSX on the faster drive is the way to go.

Guest sanal

Will you please advise how can I reinstall FSX to my new hard-drive G . Every time I insert FSX CD, it goes to straight to install C drive. Does give any Drive selection??RegardsSanal

>>Never partition>>2 drives with no partitions is the best choice.. A single>drive with no partitions is the next best>>In either case, do not let the drives free space fall below>25%. if you do, performance will start to drop. I keep my disk>free space at 35% or higher and replace a drive if it goes>over that amount.NickThat is an interesting statement. How does one boot from a drive without at least a primary partition, MBR and file system formatting? Or does this statement really mean no more than one partition on a drive? This topic does lead to the subject of spindle management which I haven't seen discussed in this forum and may have some bearing on FSX tuning. There may well be uses who are experiencing less than top FSX performance due to spindle queuing. Spindle queuing could explain some of the FSX stutters complained about on the forum from time to time. I would think that any user that has his System, Swapfile and FSX on the same spindle would be a likely candidate for FSX performance degradation due to spindle queuing no matter how much time they have spent organising their file ordering and defragging.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest Nick_N

BackupYour taking what I said literally :)No partition(s) means no more than oneEach drive has a single partition on itThe page file will never be touched if the system has enough memory in it. If one needs optimize for page file use they need to forget the page and buy memoryLast, spindle management is what my optimize list is all about.. the less that head seeks, the more resources go to FSX