Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Nick N - A Question re FSX Install

Guest Nick_N

The DVD will give you the option to choose your install location.. go back and look carefully when the install starts

Guest sanal

Yes, you are right. I missed.Thanks

Yes Nick, I deliberately took your statement literally because you have, perhaps unintentionally, set yourself up as performance guru and many users that are hanging on your every word which they will take literally and will quote those words to others. Educating users is the best way to help them, I do not think cutting corners is a good way to do this. It would be a brave PC user that would tell their operating system not to use a swap file if for no reason other than most users run other applications as well as FSX on their PCs. If you are prepared to state that all the PCs, over which you have control, have no swapfiles configured in their OS then I doff my hat to you. Less I/O to a swapfile may mean more I/O to standard files which, as you know, will be less efficient.I used the term 'Spindle Management' in the meta sense as I used it as a mainframe performance analyst. Most of your writings, which are of great value, refer to file management within a spindle.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

A little technical background on why partitioning is bad if anyone's interested:Hard drives actually rotate faster on their outer edge. If you measured the circumference of the outer edge, it's far greater than the circumference is at a point near the inner edge. Since the whole disk spins as a connected whole, that means a point on the outer edge travels a larger distance in the same amount of time as one on the inner. Distance = Rate * Time : it moves faster.When a drive is partitioned, it puts the first one on the outer edge and then any subsequent ones further in toward the center. So, if you took a 500GB disk and made say a 100GB partition for FSX on it, you'd essentially end up putting FS on the slowest part of your hard drive, since the other 400GB would come before it further out on the drive.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Nick_N

I have page files set up on all systems but one. The page is required for certain programs to have allocation so my list sets that up and places it away from the data zone where it will probably never be used if the system is correctly configured for PM however I do specify it be there to cover the bases. It will pose no performance hazard as long as the user is not running low PM. Having no page does present a greater reduction in I/O however its not a good practice to specify a setup like that over the net with the variety of systems and possible issues that may arise.As for the term Spindle Management, I was actually talking about that being included in my list... Part of the success in file management optimizing is that critical selection of hardware and its strategic placement and use.