Sign in to follow this  
Guest ziporama

Does anyone know what causes this graphics problem

Guest mruane

HiDoes anyone have any idea what cause FSX under Vista to display like this (see example). When I select the Baron58 in the Free Flight aircraft select screen, the model appears correctly for a fraction of a second and then blows appart like this. Seems to be the same for all aircraft except the microlight which appears normally. The same effect is present in the outside view of each aircraft also, however the 3D cockpit view is perfectly fine.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186474.jpgCheers Mike

Most of the time this is caused by one or more bitmaps required by the model either missing or corrupted.Have you installed any third-party aircraft lately, or any new liveries?Open your fsx.cfg file and add the following two lines under your [scenery] category:[sCENERY]MissingLibraryAlert=1ShowMissingTextureAlert=1When you go to load any aircraft, a dialog box will popup and alert you to any missing/not found bitmaps required by the model.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest mruane

Thanks Bill,I added the two lines you referred to but no error messages appear when I selected the aircraft or started the flight!I am using a Dell XPS1330 notebook with Vista Ultimate and I reinstalled FSX on top of an existing installation. So I assume that one or more of the bitmaps (for all aircraft) are damaged.I have not installed any third party aircraft.Interestingly, the model appear correctly for a very short time, then display like the screen shot in my first post.Perhaps I would be better to reinstall FSX as a new installation and trying again.Really appreciate your help - thanks.

Guest ziporama

Yes, I have this very issue happen on occasion with my Nvidia card when I've run other software in DX mode prior to running the simulator. It's not specific to a particular aircraft. This happened both under XP and Vista 64 on different boxes. It's pretty systematic if I run an OpenGL application before as well, or if I constantly switch between full-screen and windowed mode.Sometimes restarting FSX does the trick, in some cases, I neede to reboot the machine to reset the video card.Happens very rarely to me though.Hope this helps,Etienne

Guest UlfB

Hi,I did a quick search on the net and from what I could find the Dell XPS 1330 have an nVidia Go 8400M GS with 128MB memory. Could it be that your scenery settings just overloads the card? What happens if you pull all scenery sliders to the left?Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest mruane

Thanks UlfI had just reviewed another post from someone with exactly the same problem as I have and in his case reinstalling corrected the problem. Perhaps I might first try pulling the sliders back to observe the impact and then renaming the FSX.CFG file to force FSX to recreate it with some default graphics settings to see if that fixes it first.Thanks for your advise.

I had the same problem, with Windows XP and another CPU and graphics card. As far as I remember it happened after installing SP2, but I am not sure. I couldnot find a solution, so I reinstalled everything and the problem did not occur again.Regards,Jan

Guest grapesh

Had similar issue lately, on final approach, of course... :(Just after takeoff, ASX failed, and that probably caused some texture chaos, I don't know... however, I never had these issues before installing additional 1G of RAM... but that may be unrelated.Framerates went down, the aircraft looked like on X-Ray, and the whole world around went mad! I had to land with "0 viz", as I wasn't happy to refly this high-paying mission (I got hooked on FSEconomy lately).Cheers,=S.V.=Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2x2.2Ghz, 1Gb RAMPNY nVidia Quadro FX 3400 256Mbhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186767.jpg

Guest mruane

Crikey, that looks pretty sad eh...As with Jan, I reinstalled FSX, but this time, into a new directory and the graphics problems I open this post with, have now gone and the display is back to normal - even with high scenery settings.I hope you get your graphics sorted.

Guest UlfB

>Crikey, that looks pretty sad eh...>>As with Jan, I reinstalled FSX, but this time, into a new>directory and the graphics problems I open this post with,>have now gone and the display is back to normal - even with>high scenery settings.>>I hope you get your graphics sorted.>Seems there are several simmer that have or have had this problem. I wonder if there is some special add on that causes this. An add on that maybe overwrites some important default texture(s).Ulf B

I had this problem a long time ago now. I was also getting "cannot read from file" errors in both FS9 and FSX. It took a full OS reinstall to fix it for me, but I suspect that an FSX reinstall should do the trick for those only having this problem with FSX.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

The sort of corruption seen in the op is often caused by the bufferpool tweak, when you assign too high a value to it.Default is 4000000