Sign in to follow this  
thrakete

I Give Up On SP2!

Guest Hedgehog

OK, now, before anyone assumes anything, I have tried every patch, tweak, non-tweak, defrag, non-defrag, defrag program, four letter word and prayer...I have a good computer...I had nothing but problems with FSX after I installed SP2...CTD's, freeze-ups, heart attacks, etc...I removed it about two hours ago, and, since then, I have had no problems at all...Hummm!...I know some folks swear by it, but I did nothing but swear at it, so, Goodbye SP2...Yes, some add-ons are now being made "SP2 Specific", but, I have tried a couple of them and they seem to work fine...DX10? Never had it; Won't miss it...Don't ask about frame rates; I never turn on the counter...I set the default at 24fps and forget about it, all sliders except traffic are set mid-range...I am now a happy flyer of FSX...I do appreciate all of the assistance and advice given here on the Forum...As anyone who has been into computers knows well, what works on one computer doesn't necessarily work on another...Off to fly!Steve in Kansas

Steve,I have been using SP2 for about a month now. The only problems I have had are related to transparencies in old freeware airplanes, and there are fixes out for most of those. I have had no freezes, no crashes, no unexplained problems, and I am using the supposedly troublesome graphics card. No tweaks, defrags, or any of the other stuff you mentioned. I did have one ATC problem recently that resolved itself for some reason, but can't say it was SP2 related.Regardless, I have read enough posts like yours to know the above doesn't prove anything. I don't have a clue why some of the FSX software works well for some people and acts like a virus for others, but that seems to be the way it is. For some of us, possibly the majority, SP2 does not cause any problems.However, I really can't say that it does anything for my sim, because i have nothing to compare it to. I only installed it because of the SP2 Specific software you mentioned. The last few words in your post pretty much sum things up.I also do not consider frame rates an ultimate test of how well FSX is running.Sorry for your problems.Regards,Thrakete

Guest UlfB

>I have a good computerSteve,I'm curious on your hardware, so please post your specs.Ulf B

Might seem like a big step, but did you try installing Windows all over again? If FSX SP2 still won't work on a fresh installment of the OS, you are free to skip SP2. :(

Guest Hedgehog

Here are the details on my computer...

Guest sillyeagle

Yeah SP2 is full of bugs, but that how it goes I guess. Most annoying to me are the weird shadows that are always appearing on the upper surface of my aircraft, across the fuselage and wings, along with all the texture flickering and black boxes that I see apearing where lights should be. The menu crashes are annoying, but at least there is a workaround for that.

Guest Hedgehog

I forgot to mention that I still fly FS9...With the above computer I max out all sliders (except traffic), have all sorts of add-ons installed, and get a frame rate of never less than 50, even flying over the most dense scenery...Sometimes hits 130 over less dense areas...I think FS9 will be around for a long time...I plan on keeping FSX on my system and flying it, but I really enjoy the "no-hassle" flying in FS9...Of course, I remember when all we did was complain about FS9! And so it goes...Steve in Kansas

Guest AreCee

Hedgehog, I feel your pain :-)I started a thread on the hardware section about my problems with SP2 and steps taken to try to figure it out.Thread is "FSX-SP2, Nvidia or ATi"I notice you too are using a 8800 card. I don't know if we can point to that as the issue, but I sure see a lot of posts with the 8800 being a common denominator. Only a guess at this point. --Ray

On the nvidia boards it seems to be the 8800gtx that has problems.I have a 8800gt and don't.However I noticed that nvidia tech support finally responded with this:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257401May not help but might be worth a shot.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Hey Geofa is that the right link? That's a fix (more of a reminder actually) for FS2000 reported in 2005. If it is, is that actually what Nvidia tech support is telling people to do to try fix thier 8800GTX's in FSX !! LOL - I wish it was that simple.Regards'Garett

Hmm-you are right-but that is the link they give. I checked the nvidia board and it does seem the 8800 gtx's have the problem and that is nvidia's solution....The board is filled with such complaints.I tend to think nvidia is at fault as my card has none of these troubles.Makes one reconsider buying another..http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest PPSFA

SP2 with 8800GTS here.. 0 problems

"The board is filled with such complaints."Yikes, if that's all their doing to look into the reported problems with these cards - no doubt people are going to be po'd. What's the next tech KB solution, make sure you have the power on LOL.Knock on wood I don't have the menu crash, but my 8800GTX is not without it's issues. Anyways, thanks for the info Geofa.Garett

Guest AreCee

>cool, I just bought a gts (g92) 512...is that the gts version>you have?>>I hanven't installed it yet.>>BobBob, That's a newer version than I have. Mine is the 8800 GTS 320 meg purchased around April '07--Ray