Sign in to follow this  
Snowfalcon

FSX Improvement & Vista SP1?

Guest firehawk44

"Thanks for the link. Short but informative. I uninstalled SP1 RC1 because boot time for my Vista increased about 150% with SP1 RC1. So I'll await feedback from others before going for SP1 once more, and if I do I'll make sure that I can revert to pre SP1 in a safe way if I get any problems with it."Here's a link to an excellent review of Vista SP1 by the author of Windows Vista Secrets. I thought his "Final Thoughts" were most interesting and you might too.... http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_sp1.aspJim

Guest UlfB

Jim,Thanks for the link. Sure SP1 is important, but if SP1 RTM decreases boot time in the same way that RC1 did, I sure won't appreciate SP1. In that situation I'd seriously would consider to install XP instead.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest firehawk44

"How long will it take for SP1 to come on the Vista distribution media?"I assume you're looking for retail copies of Vista with SP1. According to my research, they won't become available tomorrow but should start showing up on shelves "in the coming months". Best bet is to install Vista and then download SP1 (if you have the Internet connection to do that w/o many problems). As far as I know, there will NOT be any individual CD/DVD with just SP1 on it that you can order. You'll only have the option to buy Vista w/SP1 or buy Vista and download SP1 or have Vista updated through the automatic update program.Jim

In the past with new SP such as the ones for XP I formatted and reinstalled. This seamed to get rid of the bloat that occures with the constant updating of windows. I'm wondering if with Vista I shouldn't just uninstall all the updates to date and then load SP-1.Also in the MS download site there is a DX update that shows it's for Vista as well as every other OS. Any idea what this is about?http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

Guest firehawk44

"... and that SP-1 really will solve some of the FSX problems, particularly the ones some Graphics Card people are allegedly blaming on the present version of Vista. Did I make that vague enough? Comments (non provocative) invited."I finally got SP1 installed, ran FSX, and as expected, I didn't see any improvements or DX10 Preview fixes. I had to keep running the "Windows Update" and everytime I did, it would install another update. Finally, the 67MB update was downloaded and installed. My 3dMark06 benchmark went up about 40 points. SP1 is installed though and IMHO it needs to be installed if you have Vista. Perhaps NVIDIA was waiting for this release before issuing new drivers but doubt it. I saw a beta 174.53 was released today but it's only for the 9600 and 9800 series. Hope this was "non provocative"....Best regards,Jim

Jim;Geez, I guess I will never live that "non-provocative" thing down :( . It was poor wording on my part. What I was trying to convey was that I did not want to start an NVidia or Vista flame thread, just to exchange information. Thanks for the input. I haven't gotten the SP-1 download offered as an auto-update on my computer yet-I understand that if you have certain (unidentified) hardware, it will not be available until April 15th. Don't know if I fall in that category or not.Your results were about what I had come to expect after reading the blogs, the comments here, and the article I referred to in the paper. I do plan to go ahead and install it though, because if I don't, I know something will bite me some day in the future because it is missing.Regards,Thrakete

Guest firehawk44

"I haven't gotten the SP-1 download offered as an auto-update on my computer..." Thrakete,I wasn't offered it either. I had to constantly open Windows Update and check for updates. There's also a direct link to the update (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en). I have never heard about the certain unidentified hardware requirement.Best regards,Jim

Jim:RE:>>I have never heard about the "certain unidentified hardware" requirement.<http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_sp1.asp)You could probably also find it quickly with Google and "Paul Thurrott".I think it would be worth your time to read it even though you now already have SP-1. He (Paul Thurrott) explains the whole picture in detail.Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.Regards,Thrakete

Guest nshahzad

I seen maybe 1-2 fps improvement, but overall stability is better. the system as a whole 'feels' better and smoother.just waiting for nvidia to get their act together.

1. Under the heading of "Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP-1" Microsoft lists the following (this is only a partial quote, typos would be mine):"Microsoft strongly advises using Windows Update to download and install Windows SP-1 on single pc's."---------Download size comparison of stand-alone SP-1 vs Windows Update download of SP-1 is discussed next, then i think the most significant statement in the blurb:"Windows update will recognize pc's with known problematic drivers and postpone downloading Windows SP-1 until the pc has updated drivers or other applicable updates. Using Windows Update will help insure you have the most trouble-free update possible"2. My Graphics card is an NVidia 8600 GT, using the latest NVidia recommended drivers.3. Windows update is active on my pc and on automatic. However, it has not made Vista SP-1 available for installation-at least not yet.Have some of you with identical cards and drivers installed SP-1 through Windows update?In any case, I am leaning toward following the Microsoft recommendation. "Trouble-free" seems like a good idea right now, especially since the system is running well without Vista SP-1.Thanks,regards,Thrakete

Guest nshahzad

It does a cascading update, so it doesn't make it available to everyone at once, so expect it in a few days.What it means by delaying is that SP1 has other update dependencies, so it will ask you to download other windows updates before it'll make SP1 available.I would just download the binary and install it. I have the beta isntalled and had no problems, now I installed the full RTM, no problems at all :)good luck

Guest baksteen33

AFAIK, the new Windows version will allow slipstreaming again. It's so silly to not be able to... Really, 'another incentive' to buy, not? ;-) Non-English Vista Ultimate users should maybe hold back a bit? There are apparently probs with some language packs. Kind regards Jaap

Guest firehawk44

"Jim:RE:>>I have never heard about the "certain unidentified hardware" requirement.<http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_sp1.asp)You could probably also find it quickly with Google and "Paul Thurrott".I think it would be worth your time to read it even though you now already have SP-1. He (Paul Thurrott) explains the whole picture in detail.Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.Regards,Thrakete"Thrakete,LOL. That's the same site I passed on to everyone earlier in this thread regarding a good review of SP1.Ciao,Jim

Jim:Even worse! I bookmarked it and have been referring to it off and on for days. Just didn't remember where I got it.TTYL,Thrakete

Thanks. If something doesn't happen in a few days I will do that. As I said, I am in no hurry.Regards,Thrakete