Sign in to follow this  
JSkorna

Question About Addon Weather Engines??

I'm looking for some advice I guess...I use FSX and FS9 - mostly FSX and, usually just customise my own weather. This usually consists of several layers of clouds and wind, plus, I always like to fly with visibility set to 20 or 30 miles. I set the visibility layer from 0 - FL450. I feel this gives me the most realistic looking skies, whilst also hiding enough 'sharp' edges at the horizon.Often, if i select FS 'real world' weather, i don't get the vis settings i like. Sometimes even getting those nasty 'fog layers' with more sharp edges around the terrain.Sorry, abit long winded i know.... My question.....? If i purchase an addon weather engine, will i have the same limits? Could i run on 'real world' settings, but still adding the vis layer if i want to?Hope that makes at least some sense? (not so well today:-zhelp :-roll )

You either have custom defined weather or downloaded weather, not both at the same time.

Hey thanks J..... as ever, short, to the point, and very nearly sweet;)

Guest David Ketchum

Jim,Users in your own forum, in addition to statements you've made yourself there, point out that Active Sky DOES NOT fix the goofy fog layer problem in FSX. Your statements in this thread about your product are misleading and you should apologize. -DavidP.S.: If you'd like to debate this at all Jim, I'll be happy to reply with quotes from the ActiveSky forum here on AVSIM. Thanks.

Guest David Ketchum

Hi Jim,I will bet the OP of this thread was referring to the 'fog soup' phenomenon which manifests itself as a goofy looking visibility layer that fills in around mountains and valleys. It looks horrible from above when flying at high altitudes. On May 23, 2008 (this from the Activesky forum here at AVSIM), a Activesky user wrote the following,"I'm sorry, but I find this discreet upper layer that is so visible from above, for example when flying thru mountain areas, to be awful. This was nicely eliminated in FS9. And, I understand this is something FSX does, not ASX per se. My work around is to change the upper limit in the advanced weather settings in FSX so that no longer do I see a discreet upper layer (whose edges dance around sometimes leading to a nasty fake appearance). Of course, as soon as ASX updates, that kills my work around.How about this, unless I'm the only one who cares: put a checkbox or slider or something in ASX settings that allows the user to define what the minimum upper limit altitude would be for the LOWEST visibility layer? For example, suppose ASX generates a lower visibility layer of 30 miles, with a bottom of 2 feet, and a top of 5000 feet. With the control I am imagining, this could be changed to 20000 or whatever. This is how I get rid of this appearance now. Obviously this workaround would sacrifice some adherance to the actual vis layer for getting rid of something that doens't look too realistic anyway. It was so nice to get rid of this in FS9.This is a pic of what I am trying to describe:The other nasty thing is that this ground vis layer seems to be present and almost identical every time I set up a flight. As you take off, you fly thru the layer and the transition is so sudden and complete it just is not very realistic, esp since you can often no longer even see the poorer vis layer you just broke thru.Anyway, let me know what you think, about the control that is.Thanks,Noel"Jim, you responded with the following,"Hi,Thanks for writing.I could be wrong, but I don't think we have any control over the visibility layer in FSX.Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/"Now Jim, aren't you in fact contradicting yourself when you responded to the OP of this thread, essentially stating that Activesky 'fixed' the FSX visibility problem? Yet, only last month you responded to another individual saying that Activesky doesn't even effect visibility control? Thanks,David

Hi David,Nope. I have been consistent here and at our forum. We don't have control over the visibility layer in FSX or how it is rendered, unless you are using certain ASG textures which hide this layer, but that is not what I was responding to in this thread.Thanks!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/