Sign in to follow this  
McCrash

check out these blurries

Guest flaflyer2008

First off let me just say this is the first time I have attached a screenshot to describe a problem. I hope I did this right. Ok check out this problem, this a picture of an approach into newark with full autogen. Do you see any autogen at all, look at the cars and the ground. There is no textures at all and this is driving me crazy. When I start the game everything looks fantastic but then slowly but surely this is what happens. This is not your ordinary blurry, this is super blurry and I couldn't describe it without a screenshot but I know the screenshot came out bad but it's to try to show you all what I have. I hope no one else has this extreme problem and I apologize if this is not posted correctly. I'm a newbie to screenshots but have received excellent help from you all in the past. Thank You

Guest fsxmissionguy

You need to post a second screenshot showing a normal scene on your computer.Also, post your computer specs including CPU/Video Card/Driver and RAM.What I suspect is that your computer doesn't have near enough power to run FSX with the Scenery settings you have chosen. (That's not a laptop, is it?)Newark/New York puts extreme pressure on any computer (I cannot fly in New York with full Scenery Complexity... and I don't think anyone else can either).Those aren't "blurries." That's a pretty clear sign that you computer is severely underpowered.

There's a wonderful little thing to do that shows the rendering priorities of FSX. Start up some place nice, hit F12 to go into Top Down View, hit the letter Y to go into Slew Mode, then nail your joystick hard in any direction for about 10 seconds. Come to a stop.Now watch as the rendering engine gives you back FSX. Airports and objects are first, road traffic, autogen, then as you wait a while you'll slowly see the textures start to unblur. Not all at once, but little by little they come into sharpness.Same thing happens when a system is run at too high of a setting level. Things start getting dropped to render higher levels and texture resolution is the first to go.Just remember, you don't see any Yugos racing in Nascar...

"When I start the game everything looks fantastic but then slowly but surely this is what happens."While your system is able to load everything in it's glory at first load (noticed how long that takes), it's unable to keep it up.While everyone's going to tell you (rightly so) "lower your sliders" (lots of guides around to show you which ones are the "expensive ones") When doing so here's a tip:Maybe build yourself a few saved configs. FSX you can save/load your settings, so I have a G/A setting, and a Heavy setting. The first is cranked up an much as I can so I can fly around in the helo's or cessnas etc @ 140knots and every thing keeps up. The latter I lower stuff as much as needed so I can fly around at 300+ knots and stuff keeps up. Flying low and slow or at 300knots @ 30K feet usually you are looking for diffent things, so you can tune the settings to serve both flight types. It takes some time to do, but you'll enjoy the sim alot more if you put in the time to get your settings right for the limits of your system.Even if you go and drop a grand on hardware, your still going to find you'll be doing the above - you'll just have each batch of settings a little higher.Regards'Garett

Guest fsxmissionguy

I'm not a salesman for Dell (I swear!!!), but you can spend significantly less than $1,000 and get a really good FSX rig.Here's an acceptable FSX-centric computer, for only $609.00 (assumes you're happy with your existing monitor).* Intel

The dread Blurries are always due to video memory exhaustion - you are sending too many large high resolution textures to the video card, they don't all fit, so the highest resolution MIP maps are dumped.Here is an explanation that Adam Szofran posted right here in this forum over a year and a half ago:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchThere has been much concern about the display of lower-than-normal resolution textures on the terrain in Flight Simulator, a condition often called "the blurries". I am a software engineer on the ACES team at Microsoft and my primary area of responsibility is the terrain engine, so I'd like to give my take on the "the blurries." The views expressed in this posting are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Microsoft.During the development of Flight Simulator X (FSX), we observed the following conditions that could cause the blurries:1. Inadequate CPU resources being allocated to the terrain texture loader, causing high-resolution textures to load very slowly, leaving low-resolution textures on the terrain.2. Exhaustion of video memory, causing high-resolution mipmaps to be dropped in favor of lower-resolution mipmaps.3. Poor bilinear, trilinear, or anisotropic filtering parameters, causing overaggressive mipping of textures viewed at oblique angles, such as distant terrain near the horizon.Now I'd like to address each one of these problems in turn.1. Inadequate CPU resources for the terrain texture loader.The symptom of this problem is increasingly blurry terrain textures the further and faster you fly. When you slow down or stop, high-resolution textures eventually appear after some delay. This is probably the more traditional and most frequent cause of the blurries people have seen in Combat Flight Simulator 2 (CFS2), Flight Simulator 2002 (FS8), and Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9). This problem was caused by the scheduler for background tasks in the FS engine putting too much emphasis on maintaining high and even frame rates and not enough emphasis on preventing a backlog of background work, such as loading terrain textures.To reduce this cause of the blurries, we reworked how Flight Simulator's scheduler prioritizes background tasks in FSX. Now much more CPU time is devoted to loading scenery data, including terrain textures, at the expense of somewhat lower frame rates. These changes occurred after the beta and demo builds went public, so you'll have to wait until the final version of FSX becomes available before seeing the improvement. In my opinion, this change has mostly solved this cause of the blurries, although the scenery loader can still get behind at extremely low frame rates (less than 10 fps) or at very large airspeeds (faster than 600 knots).There are several ways to adjust how much CPU time FS devotes to loading scenery and textures. The easiest way is to set the target frame rate slider to a value that your machine can consistently achieve. The lower you set the slider, the more CPU time is diverted from rendering to loading data. Another thing you can do is to modify the following variable in FSX.CFG:FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33This variable determines the amount of CPU time given to loading scenery data as a fraction of the time spent rendering. For example, the default value of 0.33 means that for every 3 milliseconds spent rendering, FS will give 1 millisecond to the scenery loader. If necessary, you can use a larger value to devote more time to loading. Or, if you don't have a problem with the blurries and you want slightly higher frame rates, then you can use a smaller value. Again, this variable is only available in the final release version of FSX and is not available in the beta or demo.2. Exhaustion of video memory.I recently posted about this in another thread on AvSim entitled "Blurries still there :(". If a particular scene requires more video memory than your video card has available, the Flight Simulator graphics engine has no choice but to remove some of the highest resolution mipmaps from video memory to save space, leaving only lower-resolution mipmaps for rendering. This usually appears as a sudden change. One moment, all the textures in the scene are sharp and full-resolution and suddenly everything becomes more blurry. It can also get progressively worse over several frames as FS works to fit more textures into video memory.There are several ways to combat this problem.a) If you are running at a very high screen resolution, lower it slightly to free up additional video memory.:( Some video cards use lots of video memory for anti-aliasing, so try turning it off.c) Turn down the setting of the "Global Max Texture Size" slider.d) Lower the setting of the AutoGen and scenery complexity sliders.e) Reduce the setting of the terrain texture resolution slider.f) Turn down the amount of AI traffic.3. Poor filtering settings.Unfortunately, not all video cards and drivers respond the same way when Flight Simulator interacts with Direct3D to set up bilinear, trilinear, or anisotropic filtering. This means that in spite of our best efforts, the texture filter on your video card may not be set up to perform optimally. This can result in textures looking excessively blurry when viewed at an oblique angle. To fix this, try each of the different filter modes (bilinear, trilinear, anisotropic) to see if any of them perform better. If not, then try overriding Flight Simulator's filter settings with the settings in your display driver. You can do this with ATI and NVIDIA drivers by clicking on the ATI or NVIDIA icon in the tray next to the clock on your desktop and making the appropriate selections.I hope everybody finds this information useful.Cheers,AdamBest regards.Luis

Guest fourthtime

Thanks Everybody. I lowered my sliders a little today and changed my autogen from dense to normal and it wasn't too bad. The computer is in fact a laptop. To be specific it's a dell xps and I thought it was a top line machine but it really isn't. I was able to fly for 7 hours today before the blurries started. That's good enough for me because I don't want to spend all my life in front of the computer. What do you think I can do to ramp up the power in my computer? can I buy more ram or more hard drive space. I have about 2 gig of ram which I thought would be enough. By the way in case anyone else has this problem and want's to go back to fs2004, think about it hard because the fs 2004 we are all used to takes a lot of work to get it back the way it was. I guess I will have to lower my sliders when more add ons are released. I have all the world of ai planes, gex, and fex and I would not even think about taking those out, so now it's going to be a battle between add ons and blurries. Once again, thank you for all your help and how bad was that screenshot, hahaha

I think you should re-visit your video card control panel settings and also the graphics settings in FSX.