Sign in to follow this  
remilton

Has Vista SP1 influenced my FSX?

I downloaded via Window Update a 67MB SPI for Vista. Since then I have noticed the following:I now have the problem of wavey graphics when viewing in Spot View.I had resolved this months ago via the nVidia Control Panel and Vsync clamp etc. Now whatever i do via Control Panel or nHancer will not fix this problem.I run 7950 GX2's in Quad SLI but have both enabled and disabled SLI to try and resolve. When I looked in Programs/Features there was an nVidia driver download in there dated 19March( date of SP1 install). I had NOT loaded this driver. I thought this uninvited driver was the culprit.I removed the driver and reinstalled my original driver but the problem is still persisting.Any ideas bar uninstalling SP1 and seeing if I get back to normal.(will do as last resort)regards

Guest firehawk44

I installed Vista SP1 and do not have this "problem" with my 2 8800GTX's in FSX (not sure what wavey graphics look like though). Vista SP1 did not change any Nvidia drivers. You can read what changes were made here: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_sp1.asp. I also had that Nvidia driver in the Windows update as an optional install. Since I had the latest, I did not install it.Best regards,JimEDIT: Some people are complaining SP1 disabled their video card drivers!!! http://www.techspot.com/

If you think SP1 is causing a problem, just roll back to the last 'restore point' before you installed SP1 and see if the problem is gone.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

I have now resolved the problem.The official description of what i was experiencing is "Tearing" It took uninstalling Vista SP1 to get things back to normal. I have no idea what in SP1 effected my graphics but something did.This is just a heads-up for any others who may experience a similar problem with Vita SP1.I know everyone's setups are almost unique but there has been a reference in another forum that some (few) others have also experienced a graphics problem after the update. No idea if it may only be nVidia or if it could happen on ATI as well.Well, back to flying without getting seasick ( !!)regardsjc

I have this problem as well.Obviously V-Synch is disabled. Unfortunately uninstalling Sp1 hasn't fixed it.Gee wiz, I'm tired of this continuous cycle of new things breaking working thingsStu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

>I downloaded via Window Update a 67MB SPI for Vista. Since>then I have noticed the following:>I now have the problem of wavey graphics when viewing in Spot>View.>I had resolved this months ago via the nVidia Control Panel>and Vsync clamp etc. Now whatever i do via Control Panel or>nHancer will not fix this problem.>I run 7950 GX2's in Quad SLI but have both enabled and>disabled SLI to try and resolve.> > When I looked in Programs/Features there was an nVidia driver>download in there dated 19March( date of SP1 install). I had>NOT loaded this driver. I thought this uninvited driver was>the culprit.>I removed the driver and reinstalled my original driver but>the problem is still persisting.>Any ideas bar uninstalling SP1 and seeing if I get back to>normal.(will do as last resort)>regardsI have a single 8800GTX and am experiencing comparable problems. I will be doing a restore this evening after work and see if the issues correct themselves. From what I'm seeing it appears that SP1 has broken something to do with Vsync.

Vista SP1 is causing lots of problems. Lots of people are reporting endless reboot loops and trashed system disks.I installed Sp1; it failed to install and boot looped twice and finally failed to boot with a system file "NTOSKRNL.EXE not found",error code OXC0000098.I had to do a repair from the Vista install CD followed by a restore.I think I will wait a while for MS to get that fixed before I try that again.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Thanks for the link and explanation. It's now all gobbledygook to me ! It is an endless trial this FSX "habit" ! Any valid reason why this facility would be disabled. I dont really understand the Microsoft link explanation as I am not technically savvy.. I just know it is a pain in the wotsit. I now have a choice of updating my OS which I paid handsomely for OR I can use FSX and loads of addons.....for which I have also paid handsomely for.Would one of you be able to advise me if i can enable Vsync and have SP1 (without instability being introduced)?regardsjc

OK.....was home from work for quite sometime. I could not find any vaule in the registry to change to see if I could get Vsync to re-enabled.I have resorted to a system restore and all is now well. I'm going to stay clear of SP1 for a while. Why must we always be guinea pigs?

They didn't disabled they just add a new functionality and it seems that for pre SP1 drivers VSSYNC will be disabled. In link there is a registry key and the explanation of how to go back to pre SP1 behavior.Key: RTL_REGISTRY_CONTROLGraphicsDriversSchedulerKeyValue: VSyncIdleTimeoutValueType: REG_DWORDValue: 10 = default; 0 = disable VSync control (same behavior same as Windows Vista Gold)Jos

Guest Zevious Zoquis

er, just reading that info from MS and to me it doesn't sound like V-sync is "disabled" by SP1. It sounds like a feature has been added that shuts vsync off if theres a period of inactivity in the GPU. This doesn't sound like it would affect FSX or any other game (unless perhaps the game was puased for a long period of time). It sounds to me like this issue would be resolved by disabling the power saver feature of your system (on my AMD system it's called "Cool & Quiet" and shutting it off in the BIOS did wonders for overall performance).

>They didn't disabled they just add a new functionality and it>seems that for pre SP1 drivers VSSYNC will be disabled. In>link there is a registry key and the explanation of how to go>back to pre SP1 behavior.>>Key: RTL_REGISTRY_CONTROLGraphicsDriversScheduler>KeyValue: VSyncIdleTimeout>ValueType: REG_DWORD>Value: 10 = default; 0 = disable VSync control (same behavior>same as Windows Vista Gold)The KEY to understanding is in the second sentence quoted below:"Windows Vista SP1 provides new functionality for disabling the VSync interrupt. To take advantage of this feature, Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) drivers must support the new VSyncPowerSaveAware flag in the DXGK_VIDSCHCAPS structure..."This implies that if the WDDM driver(s) haven't been recompiled with the new flag, nothing should change......but knowing how reality most often doesn't correspond with theory, most likely vsynch is forced OFF all the time!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>They didn't disabled they just add a new functionality and it>seems that for pre SP1 drivers VSSYNC will be disabled. In>link there is a registry key and the explanation of how to go>back to pre SP1 behavior.>>Key: RTL_REGISTRY_CONTROLGraphicsDriversScheduler>KeyValue: VSyncIdleTimeout>ValueType: REG_DWORD>Value: 10 = default; 0 = disable VSync control (same behavior>same as Windows Vista Gold)>>Jos

Just Passing This On (again) in case some missed it!Microsoft highly recommends that if you are already running Vista, that you download SP-1 from Windows Update, not from the stand-alone version.They state that (undefined) problems can result if you don't follow this procedure due to present incompatibility with some hardware and drivers. Windows Update will supposedly not download SP-1 to your computer if you have these particular and unspecified incompatible situations, until they are corrected.One Blog that appears to reflect first hand knowledge of the situation states that people with the incompatible hardware/drivers may have to wait until mid April for Vista SP-1, by which time the problems are expected to be corrected, presumably by Windows Update.The point is, that if you downloaded the stand-alone version, problems are more likely!That does not mean of course that using Widows Update means no problems on any computer, and I have no idea of how many people that encountered problems downloaded the stand-alone version.I, personally have not had SP-1 offered as a download and do not plan to install it until that happens.Regards, Good Luck,Thrakete