Sign in to follow this  
remilton

Has Vista SP1 influenced my FSX?

I installed SP1 via Windows update because it was offered. So for anyone thinking of installing expect possible problems any way you install it. The Nvidia forums are also full of user posts having Vsync forced off all the time after applying the Vista SP1 update.Micorsoft's implementation of only offering the update to computers that do not have supposed known driver/hardware issues is great in theory. Unfortunately, it's quite flawed.

Maybe you could try to create the registry entry an see if it works.RTL_REGISTRY_CONTROL is the same as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlJos

Jose,I sure wish you would've come up with that excellent recommendation prior to me doing a system restore(the thought never crossed my mind).......lolNow I'm debating wether or not to morph into a lab rat and give it a go. ;)

Guest Phil75070

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Got update notification that SP1 was available yesterday morning. Closed as many programs and services, AV, Defender, various other tray apps, as seemed prudent and installed the update (approx 70M download). The system only rebooted one time and I have seen no issues or problems with anything. With regard to Vsync, can't that be enabled using nHancer?

> With regard to Vsync, can't that be enabled using nHancer?Not when Vista has it forced off due to a driver incompatibility. It's off 100% of the time even when forced via nHancer.

Jim: Thanks, that at least gives me somewhere to start from. It's obvious it's not going to be simple to find out what is blocking me from getting Vista SP-1 through Windows update though.I think I can narrow it to causes 3, 5 or 7 in my case. However:Cause 3: refers to a "Windows Service Pack Blocker" tool. I don't have a clue what that is or how you turn it off at this time, so will have to research it.Cause 5: Since I have no idea which "hardware driver software" or "device software" could be causing the problem, it will be a bit difficult to update it. Microsoft states that are very few of these, but apparently has no intention of identifying these "very few" so the user can attempt to fix them.Cause 7: I don't know what "3rd party V light" means. I believe I have an optional "Microsoft V light" downloaded and available for installation, but it is listed as optional, so I have not installed it. I usually don't install something if I don't know what it is supposed to do. However I see that Cause 7 lists a link, and that may help.If anyone can enlighten me on the questions above, any help will be appreciated. Until I understand what's going on here, I am not going to experiment with SP-1. My system "ain't broke" so trying to improve it with SP-1 right now looks like asking for problems.I sure wish the MS guys would assemble all this information in one place so we don't have to stumble on each item piecemeal.Thanks again for the information Jim.Regards,Thrakete

Amazing - What you have all endured to get FSX to work properly in Vista and with DX10 only because we were all told it would be better... I see one fella here with TWO 8800 GTX's.....wow, amazing. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk burning my house down just to get 20 FPS, but I'm still tweaking, and still unsatisfied. Oh well..http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Alex,I'm with you on the power thing. My system is by no means one of the "power gaming" ones, and only has a 400 watt (output) power supply, but the maximum input power to it is nearly the same as my Microwave oven. The computer power cable is twice as large as the old ones. I have decided that that's the limit, (well, maybe just a little bit more).I predict a lot of popped circuit breakers and need for air conditioning upgrades in the near future.I don't think my wife is going to go along with rewiring the house for my toys.Regards,Thrakete

Guest John Glossop

Have you reported all this to Microsoft? After all, they are the best people to resolve your issues, and although it's fine alreting people to problems here, it does much more good getting back to the source of the problem.Same goes for anyone else who finds problems with software p- make sure that the responsible people know of your difficulties - none of them are mind readers, I'm afraid.

>Vista SP1 is causing lots of problems. Lots of people are>reporting endless reboot loops and trashed system disks.>>I installed Sp1; it failed to install and boot looped twice>and finally failed to boot with a system file "NTOSKRNL.EXE>not found",error code OXC0000098.>>I had to do a repair from the Vista install CD followed by a>restore.>I think I will wait a while for MS to get that fixed before I>try that again.>>RonJust a quick update in case it helps someone. I finally got Sp1 Installed. The root cause: Vista Sp1 is not compatible with BitDeffender Version 10. Disabling was not enough, it had to be uninstalled. MS or BD did not tell be this, I stumbled across it on a MS web page.By the way, if you have BD V10, you can install BD 2008 and use your V10 ser# to get the remainder of you subscription.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)