Sign in to follow this  
jlohrenz

FFS SAAB 340 Panel Re-do for FSX

I wanted to gauge (no pun intended) interest in a fix for the FFS SAAB to work correctly in FSX.If you have this aircraft you'll know that if you copy it over to FSX (It was designed for FS9) that the two fuel gauges are stuck at empty.I've created a replacement gauge that looks exactally the same as the original with a revised panel.cfg to incorporate it. I'm still working on the formulas on it so it will report similar data as the stock gauge.Anyway, I wanted to see if there was interest in me posting this 'fix' here in the file library.(Especially since this is a great product from a now defunct company)TIAJL

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Abso-freaking-lutely!Thanks a bunch!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Cool.I'm hoping to have the left gauge finished tonight and get it copied over and modified for the right gauge tomorrow...So it'll be posted in the library by this weekend at the latest.These were the only two gauges that I was aware of not functioning correctly. Were there any others that I maybe overlooked?

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Sure, it would be great to have the Saab in FSX. My questions are - how does the Saab perform in FSX, will it work with FSX SP1 and 2, and can I expect a fps drop with this aircraft?Regardless of the answers, thanks for your work on this project.Dale

Dale

I haven't had any issues. FPS seems about the same as the free versions out there.When I get the gauges done I'll include a quick 'how-to' on what needs to get copied from FS9 for it to work correctly in FSX.

Well, you have my interest. I was hoping this action would bring the 340 to life in FSX. However, I'm wondering what version of FSX has testing of applicability taken place. Will the aircraft work under SP2? What happens when you activate DX10?Thanks so much for giving us hope that the 340 will fly in FSX.fb

Guest BJK

Except for the fuel gauges how do you properly import your FFS Saab 340 to FSX?I

The config manager is a mess. That is the other thing that does not work correctly in FSX. I've tried a few things and short of making a 'dumb' FS9 structure with the files and copying everything when you make a config change I'm not sure how else to do it.Still working on it and making slow progress.

I've made some headways on getting the config manager to work with FSX. It involves creating a symbolic link. If you are familiar with Linux you'll know what I mean. If not, it is similar to a shortcut, but different.If you have Vista there is a built in command line utility that will work. If you are using XP you'd have to use a free third party app to create the link.Basically I'm tricking the config manager into thinking that the FSX directory is FS9 by making a symbolic link caled 'Aircraft' in the FSX folder that points to the SimObjectsAirplanes' directory.There may be more involved, but this may help with other 3rd party aircraft that work fine in FS9 but get messed up in FSX due to the new folder structure.I'll post more tonight when I hopefully have the gauges finished as well.J

We really appreciate your efforts. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really looking forward to getting the Saab back into the air in FSX.Thanksfb

Good news. I have been able to successfully get the load config utility to work with FSX. Directions will be included with the revised gauge / panel data.Easy to fix for Vista...a little more time consuming for Windows XP (needs 3rd party free utility to create a symbolic link)

Going to go on a test flight but it looks like they are as done as they will get.Only issue:FFS does not set the flag as to when the system panels are turned off, so even with the battery and all power off the fuel gauges will still show the quantity of fuel available.I have tested system failures and such and the gauges do work for those correctly.Otherwise they appear to work correctly in all other situations.I'll be wrapping these up along with a How-To to not only apply these gauges but get the SAAB converted into FSX within the next hour or so.

OK a few questions for you guys:1. the nature of the .gau files does not allow me to interact with them. As such there are a few quirks. The Master Alarm will go off unless you disable it as the 'system' still thinks that the fuel is low. Any problems with that? I figure as long as you monitor your gauges you should be fine.2. I am making a Right Low Fuel Indicator and a Left Low Fuel Indicator to go over the existing lights since they are stuck on. The new ones will accurately reflect this setting.3. I'm also going to make a new low fuel light on the master control panel since the default one just continues to blink.Finally, this is about as good as it will get with this plane unless someone sends me the source code for the .gau files.I'm hoping to finish up the lights tonight. I've tested both the 2D and VC and the fuel gauges work correctly.

Are you kidding? Right now we don't have anything (Saab) for FSX so whatever you accomplish is fantastic. I don't know about any of the other users but I don't care. Bring it on sir. :-)fb

The master alarm is certainly no big deal to me as long as I can shut it off. Hey, I really appreciate you doing this, I have been hoping for a good turboprop for FSX.Dale

Dale