Sign in to follow this  
jlohrenz

FFS SAAB 340 Panel Re-do for FSX

To all involved:This weekend I'm re-installing my FSX installation and will see if I can figure out the problem. I'm guessing there are some registry entries that the config editor uses that may make a difference here.I will also attempt to contact the gauge developer again to see if we can't get something going. As stated before there are only a few quirks with this aircraft.1. Fuel Gauges do not work, and thus the system sees the aircraft as 'empty'2. Engine startup procedures don't work accurately3. Cannot resize gauges in FSX full screen mode without causing FSX to crash.My guess is with some simple help from the developer we could get #1 and #2 working.Maybe if enough of the developers (since the producer shut its doors) are willing this could get fixed and re-released for a small fee or something for their work. (Part of the sad saga for this AC is that the developers never got paid from the publisher, or significantly less than promised).I'll see what I can do and update you all as I move forward.One question, did you guys follow the PDF and create the 'link' so the 'aircraft' folder in your FSX install points to your SimObjects\Airplanes directory? This part is KEY in getting the registration to work as it looks for the aircraft folder.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

One question, did you guys follow the PDF and create the 'link' so the 'aircraft' folder in your FSX install points to your SimObjects\Airplanes directory? This part is KEY in getting the registration to work as it looks for the aircraft folder.
neorecon,Hmmm.... not sure what PDF... or where to find such PDF. I looked back through the forum and either I'm older and blinder than I thought.... or I'm just missing it.Could you be so kind as to point this old blind idiot into the right direction? (smile)Thanks!Steve

neorecon and others with a similar problem,I uninstalled the Saab 340 from my FS9 folder and ran the installer plus the update to V1.1 into FSX.I kept the aircraft folder in FSX where it is, and didn't move to the SimObjects folder.Now, since the aircraft was basically 'new' into FSX the gauges weren't registered so I went to open the Load Configuration Utility and a message popped up saying 'could not find aircraft.cfg - please enter directory' or something along those lines and it became apparent that the whole time, even though I'd followed the instructions in the .pdf that the utility in FSX was reading the FS9 Saab's aircraft.cfg instead of the .cfg in the FSX folders.So this solved the problem of the utility and the gauges and after that I simply added the line 'SimObjectPaths.7=aircraft' into fsx.cfg so that FSX would search for aircraft in the 'aircraft' folder instead of just the SimObjects folder.Previous to this effort I had followed the .pdf instructions around 3 or 4 times and every time it didn't work - simply because the utility was reading the FS9 aircraft.cfg file and as far as I'm aware it will always do that unless the Saab 340 is uninstalled from the FS9 directory.Therefore problem solved.After, I simply followed the .pdf to rectify the fuel gauges and didn't create the link between 'SimObjects' and 'Aircraft' as that problem was solved with the aforementioned fsx.cfg entry.Thanks to those who lent a helping hand and I hope this helps someone else.Ash

It's in the Panel update for the FFS Saab that I published to the File Library a while ago.
Ah.... Thanks neorecon. I'll go search the file library and see if I can locate it.Many Thanks!!!Best wishes,

It's in the Panel update for the FFS Saab that I published to the File Library a while ago.
Hello Could someone please give me the link for the update.I have searched all over the place and still cannot find it.Any help much appreciated.Eisbahn

Guest United117

I HAVE FOUND IT!!!For anyone with the saab that is trying to get it to work in FSX this is it.--Make a folder in you main FSX folder called "aircraft"--Next paste all aircraft (saab 340b, 340a, etc) into this folder--paste all others into there normal folder (gauges into gauges, effects into effects,)--Open up the Saab 340 load configuration utility and get message "saab340B.cfg can't be found"--click on browse and enter this C:program file/microsoft games/microsoft flight simulator X--click enter and there you go then enter in your purchased informationif you didn't purchase it and got a torrent well too bad you can't register this awesome aircraftNo word on how to fix fuel gauges. SorryAny info on fuel guages please email me jghqaltga5926@yahoo.co.nzthank you much--united

Just like to acknowledge and report that above instructions work well.With regards to

"--paste all others into there normal folder (gauges into gauges, effects into effects"
I personly couldnt find anything in the effects folder. Although I do have all my engine sounds, flaps, landing gear and Warnings (No TCAS though)...I couldnt get any sound from the rotary knobs, switches and the classic "ding ding" for seat and No Smoking warnings. Although I am quite happy with what I do have, I tried a search to see if I could link relevent sounds from folders. But No success. Have discovered some instability problems with regards file "FFSSaab340.gau".I think this is the smoking gun when I my FSX crashes occur. Crashes seem to result from changing screen size. So leave your screen views in either FULL Screen or WINDOWS Screen. Yes I too have the dreaded ZERO fuel guage problem .....(Beggers can't be choosers). However, I use and recommend Flight Sim Commander as this provides a resonably accurate fuel quantity on the map display. And For those involves in VA, the FUEL USED display can be read, but only in 3D. For some reason the FI 2D cockpit dosn't work (So add this to the list too) But as I said, FUEL USED can be read in the 3D cockpit. :) Apart from these small but annoying issues, I would like to thank those who have posted the above solutions and welcome any more for the issues I have listed. Until then we'll just prey someone releases a worthy SAAB 340 edition for FSX. But some how I think not :(Look forward to further fixes for this version.Best regards Splash1

Glad it's working for you and yes, the gau file does not like resizing in FSX for some reason. Especially in full screen mode. I haven't had time to do any more updates or I would have updated more gauges. Glad you're enjoying it!

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Guest DARKMAZE

I'm hoping that someone can give me a point in the right direction.I'm sure I've had it working before when I trialled FSX on my old rig (which was hopeless), but I recently got a new computer that is properly FSX compatible with win 7 and an ati 5770 and thought I'd give it a run.However, I can't seem to get the damn gaugages to 'register' in FSX..Works fine in FS2004, but FSX just keeps showing me that annoying blue "unregistered" gauge.Anyone have any hints as to what I might be doing wrong?If I can't get it working, I guess I'll have to go freeware, but noone else has a virtual cockpit that even comes close (and I prefer flying from that position).

Thanks! I always looked for this particular file and now I'll be able to buy the FFS 340 by now. Actually BSMP provided instructions for me to port the FFS model into FSX, but since I use SP2, instead of trying to struggle with the default King Air panel and with missing VC gauges, I'd rather have this particular gauge!Dave.

Thanks! I always looked for this particular file and now I'll be able to buy the FFS 340 by now. Actually BSMP provided instructions for me to port the FFS model into FSX, but since I use SP2, instead of trying to struggle with the default King Air panel and with missing VC gauges, I'd rather have this particular gauge!Dave.
HelloYou wont be able to buy the 340, FFS stopped trading years ago.I cannot even register the copy I own.

HelloYou wont be able to buy the 340, FFS stopped trading years ago.I cannot even register the copy I own.
Golly Geez! Now what I am I going to do? Just take one from Torrentz.com and register that one? That's pirated software!!Dave.