Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Release Date For REX?

Guest Zelensta

Real Environment Extreme that is, have they come up wqith a release date?Thanks

Guest SanH

They havent announced a release date but i guess it will be soon. I am not too sure about REX. Some of their marketing is dubious in my opinion. They have a forum thread where they post updates on their progress and screenshots. Many of their screenshots seem to me to highlight FTX rather than their own features. For example, apparently they have new airport textures i.e. runway textures in REX. They posted screenshots of some airports including runways and everyone was boasting about how wonderful they looked and it turns out those were the FTX airports apparently with their own work on top (i guess the runway texture). Its misleading in my opinion. Makes the product look better than it is. Why not take the screenshots with the stock FSX? Its hard to tell whether it looks great because of REX or FTX. Thats what it looked like to me when i read the forum. Maybe i am reading it wrong. I dont want to sound like i am saying they are dodgy or anything. Their product may well be fabulous. Just dont like seeing a product mixed with another to demonstrate how good it is. Just my two cents. I am going for FEX when they release their weather component.

Guest Zelensta

Yeah, GEX is good enough for me anyway. I just want the weather component... those clouds look 95% real, and their structures are so accurate. I'm also hoping it will increase my FPS, since ATI cards have problems with clouds...

Hi Guys -We are happy that you are wondering when REX will be released. We have posted new information about that in our Avsim forum. The main reason for the delay is because of the complexity of the application.In regards to the question about the screenshots of the Airport Environments. We provide over 700 + screenshots in our preview packs from our website that shows a WIDE range of details about our upcoming product. There is nothing misleading about our product and what we are developing.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Is my FEX going to cry when this is released?

Not when FEX release the new update.Clouds mastered and available at an astonishing 4096x4096!!:( Plus new runway, taxiway and sun textures too!

Guest stevehow

Hi REX, are these people anything to do with FEX..ex members or something.???everything about them looks just like FEX. steve

I don't know the story, but I do get the impression the REX people DID have something to do with the FEX people, but something went wrong and now they are enemies. Yes, enemies. At least that's the impression I get. It almost seems the FS-world has been divided in two camps, the FEX-camp and the REX-camp. To me it seems REX is trying to do something FEX already did and now it's a race to see who is the best and biggest. Competition is nice, but I have the impression it's getting a bit ouf of hand lately, because no one wants to talk openly about it and everyone is acting very 'secretly' about what they are doing. Also others devs sort of openly choose sides and at the same time don't want to talk about it. And most important: it's all talk right now... release dates are being pushed ahead all the time. I really have to see what WILL be released and if it will live up to the hype. Can't say I like all this... I like things to be open and honest and I like to say what's on my mind and I would like to see everyone doing that, even if that opens a can of worms. And I'd rather see all the involved devs become friends again and stop polluting various forums with hidden messages and competing each other in ways that are not really up to FS-standards. The FS-community used to be a (rather) happy place, where everyone was glad with all the improvements made all the time. Things have changed now and certainly NOT for the better. I'd rather have rotten looking lowres default clouds than this kind of bull****./rant mode offEDIT:P.S. Pardon me for hijacking this topic for this message... ;)

Guest bill0317a

I am a little disappointed that REX is delayed, but I can wait. How long has FEX'sweather engine been delayed for now??!!!However, I think you guys are being a little unfair to the developers of REX.I will grant you that time will tell with REX once it is released, but come on...I seem to remember from my economic's class years ago that competition usuallymeant that more than one company doing something that is similar to the other.Like Coke and Pepsi. Both make a soft drinks, but both have different formula'son how they generate that soft drink.Couldn't you say that FEX is copying ASX and XGraphics who had their's out first.There is nothing fowl about another company doing the same thing as another.Maybe they found another way of doing it differently - they say they do on theirwebsite.I can remember a post in this forum about FEX offering cloud shadows, I haveyet to see or hear proof of this. Will it stop me from buying their product, ifthey can't do it - no.I think in the end we all end up buying them both because we like choice and the different variety they both offer.//my rant over//Bill

Lets not forget all the original 'nastiness' with the FS9 version of 'Real Environment' & 'Flight Environment'I think Peter Wilding had to complain about pictures being used by RE dev that actually contained his FE work in them! Even the name containng the word 'environment' is a bit of a rip off of Peter's work. Just my two cents.....

>Even the name containng the word 'environment' is a bit of a>rip off of Peter's work. Just my two cents.....>>>>Taking the word "real" or "Flight" is kind of rip off too? The worst Rip off is taking the "X". Now thats what I call a REAL Rip off! Everyone has been ripping off MS FSX.:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest fsxmissionguy

Microsoft swiped it from XeroX.Added: If you are a lawyer for Microsoft, this post should be considered an obvious bit of parody!

So as to not run afoul of Microsoft or Xerox, should I rename my release version to "Aloha Adventures 9+1"?

Hi Steve, Bill and J van E -I want to clear up something because it appears that this forum post is beginningto go south.First, I want to clear up the issue of copying material. There has not been anycopying of material and both parties are aware of this. So I ask that we stop thiskind of talk now. This is not a place to do this.Secondly, neither Tim nor I have have had any involvement with the development of FEX.I did do some brief work with Peter during FE2004 and WMPRO, but that working relationship has long past disolved.Tim at one point was in talks with Peter, but that fell through and Tim decided to do his own thing.That is when Tim, his team, and I starting talking. He needed a weather engineand I needed textures to compete with Active Sky and FEX. So we joined forces.I brought the WMX technology and He brought the texture workof REX which you have seen.Originally REX was to be just a like FEX is currently now. The ability to change andupload textures. We started talks and I told him that I wanted to develop a more in depth program which included a flight planner and tighter integrationwith the weather engine. That is what we are working on now. Bill and everyone else you can blame me forthe delays. If we just released the textures then we would be done, but we wanted to go further and we believe it will work the best.Finally, in regards to competition. Bill has it right. It is an issue like Coke and Pepsi. FEX work is great - Chris and Peter have done a great job. REX will be great too, I can't wait until everyone really sees REX in action, Tim has put a lot of work into what he has done.The fact is we both are approaching the development of our products from different angles. The winner in all this is YOU the consumer.Yes there will be some familiarities, but still the approaches to the productare way different. Just look at our websites.www.flightenvironment.comwww.realenvironmentxtreme.comIn my personal view competition is healthy for a market. It is always win win for the consumer.Ok now my rant is off...Reed StoughDeveloper of REX

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Guest SanH

I would like to make another serious point to this.I love you all.P.S i wonder what those FS9 users think when they see the superb add-ons coming out for FSX right now. Taking it to a whole new level.I have overclocked my Q6600 to 3ghz but i want more. I will need it when all this new stuff comes up. Keep up the good work.