Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

a sad - but brave - man!

Why am I sad? Well after 4 years, I have just deleted my entire FS9 installation, together with unnumerable addons - both payware and freeware, some of which I had yet to even use - including all associated programmes like Panel Studio, Teamspeak, etc, etc. Some of these addons were very very good - especially some of the freeware ones, the like of which I fear we will not see again. Freeware from people like Bill Lyons, Milton Shupe, Rick Piper, David Maltby - it may be that future FSims including FSx are getting too complex for freeware developers. But it is time to really move on. Why am I brave? - Well I haven't even installed FSx yet!! :D Who knows how it will go. Reading the many FSim forums, it does all seem a bit "hit and miss". I recall that I installed the FSx demo on my old AMDXP 2400 with 512 RAM. It wouldn't run the demo at all - but my Dual Core 6600 with 2 gig seemed to handle it OK - as long as I turned Autogen right down. I am encouraged by the fact that they say that there is no comparison between the demo and SP1 - I hope that is the case. Right - now off to the game store.Barry

Guest cbuchner1

Good luck with FSX, let us know how this works for you ;-)Christian

I can also feel your pain, but don't look back Your system should be more than capable. Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Nils79

A really brave descision for an australian http://www.fullterrain.com/ ;)Unfortunately the FSX demo covers only a very small non-complex area, but your system should be a good basis... so, have fun!

Guest diajohn2

I confess that FS9 with all of the add-ons are still on my hard drive and my desktop. It has been several months since I flew with it and wonder why I don't delete it. FSX works much better on my older machine with Vista than FS9. I do use the latest add-ons for FSX such as the PMDG and LDS with AEX. What am I doing wrong.Its hard to say goodbye to an old friend.

Guest Captain America

Good luck with FSX!I recently deleted FS9 and all add-ons from my hard drive.I gave all my FS9 stuff to a young guy just getting started inFlight Simming.My computer runs FSX very well and it's FSX only from here on.But, I do miss my old friend.

Thats not brave. Thats reckless!:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hard to understand why simmers feel they can only choose one or the other? Why not have both on your PC? Sure hope FSX turns out ok for you... if not, ya got a whole lotta re-installing ta do! }(

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

>Hard to understand why simmers feel they can only choose one>or the other? Why not have both on your PC? Sure hope FSX>turns out ok for you... if not, ya got a whole lotta>re-installing ta do! }(Ditto. We run both sims on the same computer and both perform extremely well. No need to do away with the old, just run both:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Nah im keeping FS9 on my laptop to use when im away. Not even going to try FSXon it. Just be nice for keepimg up the practice

Well, my first problem in the changeover from FS9 to FSx is something that I haven't read much about in these forums.I have had a dickens of a time trying to purchase a copy of FSx in my local computer shops. It seems that firstly PC games themselves are a dying breed and secondly, FSx is W-A-A-A-Y down on the list of popularity amongst PC gamers. Shoot-em-ups???-- I could buy dozens of titles, all discounted. But anyway, after buzzing around all day like a (as my old mother used to say) "blue-arsed fly", I have finally got myself a copy. It was about 25% discounted on the original price when FSx first came out - is this telling me something?? Yes - better not to be on the cutting edge of technology. Best to go on holiday for a while and buy all your hardware and software about 18 months behind everybody else. It makes no difference to you - all the bugs will have been sorted out by then and it all will be a lot cheaper - and if you consistently do this, you will never know that you are behind everybody else - because for you it is all new - I am only now discovering the joys of FSx. If I have a problem, all I have to do is a Google search and the answer is there waiting for me. :-) You can laugh ! - but I am not just a pretty face. Up here for thinking and down there for dancing!!Barry

BLOODY COMPUTERS!!! Well, so far so good! I Have installed FSx without any problems and also SP1. But then I go to install Sp2 and I get this http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186697.jpgWhen a game is issued for other platforms like ?? -- well you know what they are - do they issue SP1's and Sp2's and ??, etc - if not, why not???Barry

Hi Captain! (Captain Bazza, I presume?) ;-) Hang in there, someone familiar with the many FSX installation errors will likely help out here shortly. After all the installation hassles, and the tweaks to the sim and one's legacy content are all done, FSX is well worth the effort. :-roll In the mean time, may I suggest a larger hard drive to keep the eminently trouble free FS9 and Flight Unlimited II and III handy for some flying happiness? :-hah Thanks for all your great contributions to FU3 back then BTW! :-)I agree wholeheartedly with the approach you take to software and hardware acquisition after most bugs have been fixed and the prices have dropped! :-lol GaryGB