Sign in to follow this  
sargeski

Vista SP1 DX9 Vsync Problem...Interim Fix Found

I spent the better part of today reading as much information as I could about the Vsync "enhancements" included in Vista SP1 in hopes of finding a solution to the loss of Vsync within FSX.Rivatuner includes an application called D3DOverrider located inside of the tools folder which is located in the install directory of Rivatuner.Right click on D3DOverrider.exe and run as administrator (must run as administrator to make config changes).Right click on the tray icon for D3DOverrider and click setup.Choose the global profile and ensure that only the following items are checked; Enabled Library Hooking, Force Vsync in Direct3D8, Force Vsync in Direct3D9, and Force Vsync in Direct3D10.Add a profile for FSX.exe with the same settings as above.With D3DOverrider still active, go ahead and start FSX. Vsync will now be enabled and once again working.I added D3DOverrider.exe to my AlacrityPC FSX Profile to "start before" and it works like a charm.One thing to note, for some reason when you start a flight the screen will flash a few times, the screen will also flash the first time you open the FPS counter. After that all seems to be normal. Keep in mind that I only tested this with the fair weather theme. It could be possible that real world weather updates may cause some additional screen flashing. I will check that out later this evening.Hopefully, this will allow some of you to return to a non-tearing FSX until another solution is found.

UpdateI've seemed to narrow the flashing down to anything that would cause text or a text box to be drawn on screen (ie. fps counter/info, brake info, ATC Window etc..)I've minimized this by adding the following to my fsx.cfg file:[MAIN]HideInfoText=1This is by no means a perfect fix. It will be especially distracting to anyone trying to use ATC or trying to fly an IFR flight plan (due to flashing when the ATC window opens).

Guest firehawk44

"I've seemed to narrow the flashing down to anything that would cause text or a text box to be drawn on screen (ie. fps counter/info, brake info, ATC Window etc..) I've minimized this by adding the following to my fsx.cfg file: HideInfoText=1This is by no means a perfect fix. It will be especially distracting to anyone trying to use ATC or trying to fly an IFR flight plan (due to flashing when the ATC window opens)."The flashing you describe is caused by displaying flying tips. This "fix/tweak" was put out to everyone almost immediately after FSX was first released. Goto your realism settings and turn off "Display Flying Tips".Best regards,Jim

Jim,Please reread my post. The ATC window is not a flying tip. I never had any issues with the tool tips causing any problems within FSX myself (even with Vista SP1..just no Vsync).The flashing problems I am describing are a product of utilizing the D3dOverrider to get Vsync to once again work within FSX in Vista SP1.I've been pulling an all nighter reading as much as I can find on the issue. The Nvidia 174.xx betas that are floating around supposedly do not exhibit the loss of Vysnc with SP1 as the 169.xx drivers do.I've downloaded the modified 174.53 WHQL betas and am going to give these a try with my 8800GTX.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

this issue must be driver/hardware related no? I've got the update installed and v-sync still works for me. AMD cpu with an ATI vid card...

Vsync works just fine now with the 174.xx series drivers and Vista SP1. Guess I'll be using some betas until Nvidia releases a new WHQL driver.

I can't install these 174.53 drivers with my 8800GTX (Vista 32)They appear to be drivers for the 9*** series.I get a error message when installing.Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Thank you, gentlemen.174.70 installed and running.Might have another go at that SP1 thingy!Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Would someone please describe the Vsync problem visual symptoms?I am using an NVidia 8600GT with the 169.25 drivers and running Vista SP-1, but I don't see any graphics anomalies. I don't get the flashes described or anything else that looks like a problem.Regards,Thrakete

Thrakete,The flashing I was describing was a product of using D3DOverrider to get Vsync to work in FSX with Vista SP1 installed. Vista SP1 itself along with the 169.xx drivers was not causing any flashing.I will try to describe the loss of Vysnc the best I can. Alot of people never use it and get used to the degraded image quality so they never miss it.What is VSync? VSync stands for Vertical Synchronization. The basic idea is that synchronizes your FPS with your monitor's refresh rate. The purpose is to eliminate something called "tearing" which is very evident on LCDs. Tearing is a phenomenon that gives a disjointed image. The idea is as if you took a photograph of something, then rotated your view maybe just 1 degree to the left and took a photograph of that, then cut the two pictures in half and taped the top half of one to the bottom half of the other. The images would be similar but there would be a notable difference in the top half from the bottom half. This is what is called tearing on a visual display. It doesn't always have to be cut right in the middle. It can be near the top or the bottom and the separation point can actually move up or down the screen, or seem to jump back and forth between two points. It becomes very evident when quickly panning views or using a TrackIR to control your view in FSX.

O.K., I am in the group that never uses it so I don't miss it.I know what Vertical Sync in general is since I have encountered it in oscilloscope operations, but not in the FPS/Refresh rate context you describe. I'll probably be happier if I just accept what I am accustomed to in my display.Thanks for the explanation. Regards,Thrakete

Guest firehawk44

"Please reread my post. The ATC window is not a flying tip. I never had any issues with the tool tips causing any problems within FSX myself (even with Vista SP1..just no Vsync)."Sorry. Just trying to help a fellow simmer. I thought my suggestion would work. Obviously it didn't but what the hey... I reread your original post and don't see what you see. You stated:"One thing to note, for some reason when you start a flight the screen will flash a few times, the screen will also flash the first time you open the FPS counter. After that all seems to be normal. Keep in mind that I only tested this with the fair weather theme. It could be possible that real world weather updates may cause some additional screen flashing. I will check that out later this evening."Could you please show me where you talked about the ATC Window in this quote?Ego bruised and confused,Jim

>"I've seemed to narrow the flashing down to anything that>would cause text or a text box to be drawn on screen (ie. fps>counter/info, brake info, ATC Window etc..) I've minimized>this by adding the following to my fsx.cfg file:>HideInfoText=1>This is by no means a perfect fix. It will be especially>distracting to anyone trying to use ATC or trying to fly an>IFR flight plan (due to flashing when the ATC window opens).">>The flashing you describe is caused by displaying flying tips.>This "fix/tweak" was put out to everyone almost immediately>after FSX was first released. Goto your realism settings and>turn off "Display Flying Tips".>>Best regards,>Jim >>>Jim,lol.....earlier in the thread just prior to this reply from you.I was just trying to better explain myself. Also the HideInfoText=1 tweak has nothing to do with the flying tool tips. It disables the "brakes", "differential brakes", the zoom level text etc... Regards,--Bob