Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Autopilot keeps climbing

So far everyone has avoided the initial point made by the OP:When in VNav mode, the ap is being commanded to hold a specific climb angle. When approaching the desired altitude, you need to switch to the ALT HOLD mode, unless whoever programmed the ap provided an auto-switch function to hold VNav until reaching the preset target altitude...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That was "semi-intentional" Bill... Am still trying to figure out this other part. :-S

Rob, I wasn't en route, I spent the afternoon flying lazy eights above paddocks full of cud eating bovine's (500' agl). It was without a doubt the most relaxed flying I ever did and the biggest risk to flight safety was the pilot falling asleep under the warm afternoon sun. You realise that I can only admit to this because I have retired from expensive flying and the gazing eyes of a Government Department. On that aircraft the throttle and trim were concentric on the same quadrant at my left hand (it was a two in line seater). Come to think of it that's pretty similar to my Hotas setup except the two controls aren't concentric. However, my trim pot is, like all other Cougar pots, very good and the electronics eliminate any spiking. The trim wheel is a tight as the throttle and stick. FSX deadzones are at the minimums that can be set. So it works very well and very life like. Thanks for the heads up I was unaware that there were Vista Cougar drivers available. I might investigate further although getting into Vista 64 is a ditch I won't cross right now. (With age comes wisdom and I a thoroughly enjoying my XP FSX experience).;-)

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

For the love of pete... I am all goofed up here...>My wheel is functionally the same as any other analogue proportional axis like the stick axes...How... just how... I am going to have to expend some serious brain energy on this to sort that out. >There is an obvious trap with keystrokes on a wheel you need a neutral point that ensures that the keystroke sending is stopped...but isn't that "neutral point" the release of the key input? I mean, it's either ON or OFF to a certain position.>In my FSX installation files it is a pure analogue proportional axis (just like the throttle)...Woof... over my head... OK again thanks John; I mean I understand "The What To Do" but not "The How It Works". I think for now I will skip trying to figure out what's going on, and be thankful I can glean from your efforts how to set this up on the Cougar. Maybe my mind will be a little clearer after a hot turkey dinner. :-SRob

Rob,If you mean that your Antenna Elevation pot is actually loose in its housing. Then why don't you just pull the plastic wheel off and tighten the nut underneath?

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

No no... the rotational resistance on the wheel/pot itself. That seems a perfect place to map trim; the wheel's resistance feels like it would be easy to overshoot (either way) the required trim.Thanks tho.

Rob, You are using your Cougar in Emulation mode and not Windows button mode, aren't you?If I am boggling your mind send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

John

Hey John...That's greatly appreciated... means a lot to me to have you as a possible "tech support". I'll certainly pm you if I get stuck.I have never attempted to set it up. I've been quite the nut to stick with an XBox controller. I've never owned a 32bit version of XP and have been waiting on Thrustmaster to release a Vista 64bit version to see how that does in x64 XP. I'm still kind of hmmm about the RC driver. Some "years" ago I had Ian Johnson do his

>Hey John...>>That's greatly appreciated... means a lot to me to have you as>a possible "tech support". I'll certainly pm you if I get>stuck.>>I have never attempted to set it up. I've been quite the nut>to stick with an XBox controller. I've never owned a 32bit>version of XP and have been waiting on Thrustmaster to release>a Vista 64bit version to see how that does in x64 XP. I'm>still kind of hmmm about the RC driver. >>Some "years" ago I had Ian Johnson do his

Rob,Perhaps we should lobby for a Hotas Cougar forum on Avsim there seems to be plenty about. My Cougar is a vanilla version. I never worried about evenstrain or hall sensors. However, I write all my own stick files and make mods for different aircraft needs when necessary. My objective was to never use the keyboard once in Flightsim and I achieved this a few years ago. Once I start flightsim my keyboard pushes away on a slide and I have my Throttle and stick mounted on the self developed armrests of my leather 'flying seat'. Although I have FSUIPC installed (payware version) I have never programmed my stick through it as I have all my requirements met using "Foxy". I do however have one of my Cougar buttons talk to FUIPC in order to kill and restore AI traffic. I found this useful if you are getting into traffic and haven't the real time for a go around. However, it is very easy to set up the antenna elevation wheel as an FS elevator trim wheel provided you are in emulation mode and there are plenty of flightsim TMJs and TMMs about. I've never ever used my Cougar in Windows mode so I can't answer any questions on that but my suspicion is that the elevator trim could be set up the same way as emulation mode because the buttons aren't involved.

John

K Bob thanks (I think),I mean... my ignorance was (temporary) bliss... I knew I should have done Ernie's mod right after getting back the parts from Ian. Your post was enough to "push me over the edge" (was going to say "get me off the pot" but would have been a terrible pun). I just now emailed Ernie. His website is still there so hopefully... Btw, it's kind of funny to see the pic comparison of the Hall Sensor and the TM pot.Much thanks and same same for the FSUIPC recommendation.Rob

Guest D17S

On my Saitek X45, I just use FSX's built-in programming for pitch trim. I assign a hat switch for nose up/ nose down functions. I set this positions for "repeated key strokes." It's the closest "Feel" to a real yoke mounted pickle switch I have available. Tap forward for nose down and tap back for nose up. It's totally easy, and reliable. No muss, no fuss. It just works. And I use it a lot. With the default light planes, it's my primary pitch control. With the PMDG model, ALL autopilot pitch modes use auto stab trim for pitch trimming. With the AP engaged in a pitch mode . . . any pitch mode. . . manually trimming will Disconnect the AP. This accurately models all modern jet autopilots. Generally IRL, the AP can be used all the way to ILS capture on approach. Lazy crews will leave the AP engaged until the airplane is configured for landing (Flaps/Gear/@Vref). But what fun is that? I'm still learning, so I like to disco just after LOC/GS capture. I'll disco and start configuring for landing. Every knotch of flaps and airspeed change requires a re-trim to maintain a GS rate of 700FPM. I'm trimming like crazy. My thumb is just pumping away on that pickle switch. I watched a real crew do it the other day. Same thing. Amazing the detail we begin to watch for. Looked like the captain's thumb had a life of its own. My goal (and his) is to have the airplane fully configured, on speed, on GS (Manually pitch trimmed to essentially "hands-off") at 1000 feet AGL. If the airplane it not there, our crews had a specific instruction to initiate a No-fault Go Around. They would otherwise be continuing what we have defined as an Unstable Approach. My real goal is to have things basically under control by the inner marker . . . but I have a reset button, they don't. Approach is all about manually pitch trimmin'. . . just like it happens every day on real life 744s.

Hmmmm....Seems like that could be a good thing John, but, I am way too scared to ask. Plus the Mods might want to string us up by our thumbs. :-DBut yes, I was really surprised to see someone else (Sargeski) mention the Cougar *and* the mods, so it makes me wonder how many more Cougar Users there are here.

Ok re: this VNAV issue...There are no default aircraft in FSX with VNAV, correct? (because there is no FMC in any of those aircraft?) Have I missed something?(btw am patiently waiting for the Eaglesoft Cessna Citation X 2.0 which says it will support VNAV :-P and :-D and also btw it will be just too cool to use this airplane in the next RTWR)Rob O.

Guest D17S

Right, the default airplanes use a more GA type of GPS. That's a good one to explore too, but I can only speak for Flight Management Systems. If you really want to learn a FMS, don't even bother with anything but the PMDG 744 or the LevelD 767. Either will get you up to a 90% competence level on an FMS. And don't get frustrated. It's a lot to learn, but the first airplane type's FMC is the hardest. Once you get one down, the other types will make perfect sense. I learn it on the sim, then take it out to a real airplane to try it our. So far, it's been dead on. In my work, it's Really helpful to be able to talk to heavy jet pilots in their own language. Anymore, a pilot must learn all that stick and rudder stuff, but s/he Must also become a systems operator. I'm sure it's just the geek in me, but I'll take the challenge of mastering an intricate system over the wild blue any day. I'd make a lousy heavy jet pilot, 'cause you gotta love both.