Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Out of memory error

Recently, after a fresh install of FSX+GEX+UTX+FEX+Genesis mesh, I'm getting an error message in FSX. It says "Your computer is out of memory. Please restart FSX with different graphics or flight plan", or something like that, and shuts down FSX. Pretty sure this only happens when I load a flight plan.I have 2GBs of good RAM and didn't used to see this. My settings are set very high.Any ideas? Thanks.(E6700/2GB RAM/8800GTS 640MB)

You can run out of memory with very high settings and only 2GB of RAM. Your choices are to turn the sliders down a little or to get more RAM and make your OS aware of it if your not on a 64bit OS.If I remove the command from Vista32 that makes my system more than 2GB aware, with my current settings and addons, I will get the same Out Of Memory message.

Thanks, but still a bummer. I've got my scenery running so well I can't run it. :-( I'm on XP, by the way. So I guess I need more memory and to fiddle with things.Thanks again.*Edit - Does it make a difference what res I run the sim at? This is happening at 1920x1200 on my 24". I can't remember if it happens on my 19" 1280x1024 as well.

Guest Nick_N

Add this to your Boot.ini file on the root of the C driveNOTE: XP SP2 x32 only, x64 need no such tweakdisable hidden files and folder, then on the root C: you will find a file named: boot.ini Open it in notepad and add the follwoing to the end of the OS boot line: /3GB /Userva=2560 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professsional" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560 <---- add it heresave and close the filerebootto set that back to default, simply remove the editOOM Error fixed.. if you see it again, REDUCE the value of Userva= from 2560 to 2432If you are using XP SP2 and are running a dual, quad, OR a single core Intel HYPERTHREAD processor, make sure this update is appliedhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=enAnd Yes, more memory is better.. I run 4 and always see use close to 3 and have even seen it over from time to time

Thanks again, all. :-sun1

Eric - to make the Userva mod work you need to make fsx able to use virtual memory greater than 2gb. There is a file or reg entry to do this, I don't remember which, but instead you can download a free editor called "CFF Explorer" that will do it for you. This gives you a gui presentation. You just "open" fsx.exe, look for "file header", "Click here" and then tick off "file can handle >2gb addressest" THEN the Userva mod will work. .. and it does.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Nick_N

If he is already on SP2 (or Acceleration) the fsx.exe file is marked by AcesIf not, the user must manually mark it for +2GB use as describedI should have elaborated on that.. :)