Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

Automatic ridgelift + cumulus thermals now available fo...

Guest b21

CumulusX!A simple freeware module is now available to generate automatic ridge lift within FSX based on the wind and terrain, and cumulus-topped thermals matched to the prevailing cloudbase.The download and information is available on www.VirtualSoaring.org:http://virtualsoaring.org/iboard/index.php?showtopic=1568The thermals have a structure and life-cycle, and are topped with Cumulus clouds at the level of the set FSX Cu layer.The ridge lift is created by sampling the terrain around the user aircraft and using the wind speed and direction to calculate an appropriate lift factor.Hopefully we will have some simple soaring missions using this module before long.In the meantime the module works equally well in free flight and multiplayer. For a comprehensive soaring experience, simply set the wind to 18 knots from the NW, and fly the DG808S from Sion in Switzerland, Zell am See in Austria, or Williamsport in Pennsylvania, USA. The ridge lift will be found by flying close to the north-facing slopes.B21

Guest Shalomar

This is absolutely terrific!!!I had really missed ridge lift... no more!Best Regards, Donald T.:-wave

Guest SkyDrift

Yes, it does look like an impressive add-on.Unfortunately, on my PC it crashes immediately on start-up. The documentation suggests reinstalling dot-net v2 & FSX + SP2, which I'm unwilling to do as I only reinstalled FSX + Acceleration about a month ago & don't really want to reinstall it and all my add-ons yet again. Since Simprobe starts up ok (but can't do anything as it relies on CumulusX), my thought is that it's probably an issue with dot-net v2 rather than FSX.As no error files are generated, nor error events logged in event viewer, it's hard to determine what exactly is going wrong.Just an FYI - if others find themselves in the same boat, they are not alone...- regards, Skydrift.

... and having the same problem I completely uninstalled it and went on to other things... such as the RealAir Spitfire! :+

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest SkyDrift

Maybe, though my understanding is that both SP2 & Acceleration use the same simconnect version (61259)On my machine, I have all three version that I know of (RTM, SP1 & SP2/Acceleration)- regards, Skydrift

I think 61259 should be sufficient, so it probably is something else.scott s..

Sounds incredible!I wonder if FEX, REX or ASX can incorporate similar tech into their weather engines?

Matthew S