Sign in to follow this  
Guest tripecac

FSX vs FS2004 wilderness scenery

"Is there any "want-to-have" wilderness scenery that I should download in preparation? For example, I remember that Holger's Northwest meshes were recommended by several sites for FS9"Here's a link that lists what and how (with file listings) to use to Holger's Land class files in FSX. They are definatly an improvment to the default. It's an easy addon to do, and you'll intsantly notice a vast improvement if you intend to fly any of the area's covered. Also, there's more and more small scenery's and airports croppin gup all the time in the library. Search Alaska or British Columbia and that should be a good start. I also recommend you pick up Bella Coola for FSX, as this was the first one Holger has updated for our new FS.http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=231&t=57041Regards'Garett

Guest PPSFA

Poke around the library, there is a lot of free scenery, one of my favorites is Yellowstone.

Hey Travis,Almost all my flying is in the boonies and without a doubt FSX is much better than FS9. With or without add-ons.However, add-ons, like death and taxes, are unavoidable. But, like in FS9, if you get the silver Bullet combo; GEX, UTX, FEX, and Genesis mesh, that should be all you need as far as payware goes. Not cheap, but you do end up with a mightily sophisticated flight simulator that should hold your interest for hundreds, if not thousands of hours. Unless something truly awesome comes out with better Pacific coast or Arctic coverage, I'm not buying any more environmental add-ons. My boonie flight right now with what I have are great fun!

Guest tripecac

Okay, is this correct:1) first, try vanilla FSX + Acceleration2) next, try swapping textures-- GEX ($29.95) is the most recommended-- new textures should look good enough to lower auto-gen scenery-- lowering auto-gen will HELP framerates3) next, if the PC isn't too slow, try changing landclass-- landclass adds roads, rivers, and other "geography" stuff-- UTX ($34.95 for lower US, $34.95 for Canada, no Alaska yet) is often recommended-- Holger's (free) landclass is mostly for FS9 at this point-- detailed landclass will HURT frame rates4) next, try some different meshes-- these only define topography-- FSGenesis ($39.95) is the most recommended -- detailed meshes will HURT frame rates5) finally, try freeware textures, landclass, and meshes-- these are usually for smaller areas6) textures, landclass, and meshes all serve to make scenery in FSX look more realistic and recognizable7) for the ultimate realism you need to invest in all three (plus maybe the atmospheric stuff like FEX)8) each person will pick a "good enough" level based on:-- how much money they are willing to spend-- pc power-- desired framerate/detail trade-off-- areas and conditions in which they fly-- amount of time they plan to use FS-- amount of time until the next release of FS

>Okay, is this correct:>>1) first, try vanilla FSX + Acceleration***Good starting point>>2) next, try swapping textures>-- GEX ($29.95) is the most recommended>-- new textures should look good enough to lower auto-gen>scenery>-- lowering auto-gen will HELP framerates***Less autogen of course helps FPS. Out of the box the number of trees and buildings in FSX vs. FS9 is approx 8-10 times more. The autogen effect can be adjusted with two lines in the FSX.cfg file and then by the slider adjuster in FSX. Purchasing a payware product solely on the basis that it will decrease autogen effects is not wise.Adjust autogen levels to a comfortable point, then consider if a texture replacement package is something you'd like to buy.>>3) next, if the PC isn't too slow, try changing landclass>-- landclass adds roads, rivers, and other "geography" stuff>-- UTX ($34.95 for lower US, $34.95 for Canada, no Alaska yet)>is often recommended>-- Holger's (free) landclass is mostly for FS9 at this point>-- detailed landclass will HURT frame rates***Land class does not add roads or rivers or other stuff, it only tells the sim what particular texture to place at a particular spot. Land class won't affect FPS, unless it's so poorly setup to be placing high rise buildings in Sitka, Alaska.Vector based products that add roads and rivers and other stuff, like the UT/X products can affect FPS, just as any product that adds more detail could. But in the wilderness this effect would be minimized, as there aren't too many four lane freeways running through British Columbia and Alaska, with the resulting FSX traffic hit.>>4) next, try some different meshes>-- these only define topography>-- FSGenesis ($39.95) is the most recommended >-- detailed meshes will HURT frame rates***While I have the FSG mesh for North America the added benefit over default is much less in FSX versus FS9. With the craze of higher resolutions is the reality that the rendering engine doesn't extend this high res effect far off into the distance. Try the default 38m for the US and Canada, see how it does before you plunk down money for something with limited effect. And the FPS hit for higher mesh will be very minimal.>>5) finally, try freeware textures, landclass, and meshes>-- these are usually for smaller areas***Before you tinker too much, make sure you understand the effects of each of the catagories that make up scenery in FS. Throwing too much, too fast can cause the dreaded "Reinstallinitis".>

Guest tripecac

Ah, thanks for the clarifications!So it sounds like add-on mesh will have the least "bang for the buck", and is probably skippable. Also, since Holger's landclass will probably have less of an impact on framerate than UTX, it makes sense to try that first. In fact, maybe I can try Holger's stuff before GEX as well. Or is Holger's FS9 landclass unlikely to improve the visuals of FSX?(I'm asking all these questions now because I'm trying to research and download the most promising add-ons while waiting for FSX to arrive in the mail).So, how about this order:1) vanilla2) Holger's landclass3) GEX (maybe)4) UTX (iffy)5) FSGenesis (probably not)

>Ah, thanks for the clarifications!>>So it sounds like add-on mesh will have the least "bang for>the buck", and is probably skippable. Also, since Holger's>landclass will probably have less of an impact on framerate>than UTX, it makes sense to try that first. In fact, maybe I>can try Holger's stuff before GEX as well. Or is Holger's FS9>landclass unlikely to improve the visuals of FSX?>>(I'm asking all these questions now because I'm trying to>research and download the most promising add-ons while waiting>for FSX to arrive in the mail).>>So, how about this order:>>1) vanilla>2) Holger's landclass>3) GEX (maybe)>4) UTX (iffy)>5) FSGenesis (probably not)>The land class structure has changed from 9 to X, so I would be hesitant to try any FS9 land class addons in FSX. Though it seems like it's taking a long time, I would wait for any FSX versions of Holger's work. Bella Coola has already been updated, I understand Tongass Fjord may make a FSX appearance "soon".From your list above I would grab UT/X first (proper disclaimer: I am a beta tester) and then GEX. FSG, especially the version 2 mesh where airport plateaus are being smoothed away, is a toss up.Lost amongst all this is the suitable choice of transportation. Unless you can get a pack mule with pontoons... the Real Air Decathlon, Scout, Citabria package is a MUST for any bushwhacker, IMHO!

Travis -I spend gobs of time with bush flying and for me the most useful single add-on was UTX. It adds minor roads, streams, lakes and towns, which greatly enhances the backcountry visual experience. The resolution is amazing -- finding even tiny mountain lakes at the right location and being able to recognize their shape on a topo map makes for immersive realism in wilderness flying. It used to be such a bland, featureless forest.Just keep the road traffic at 10% or less and you will have no problem with frame rates away from cities.John

Just to clarify, while there has been changes to the lookup.bgl and "some" of the class to texture maps in FSX, these changes have not altered the positive "effect" of using Holger's LC FS9 files in FSX. The benefit comes from him adding better "resolution" around the mountains, instead of vast areas being blanketed with "rock and sand" as default. And on the most part, rock, ice, snow, conifer's, sage, scrub, mire bog still remained the same classes in both versions.I'm using his LC files layered over UT, as UT mainly focuses on adding urban areas and his stuff fixes (at greater detail) the mountains around. Holger's LC layer's well on top of UT, giving you better textures all the way around for the areas. With or without UT, there in no reason to shy away from using his LC files (to improve upon the default) as no negative result is going to occur.Here's default FSX, default textures, Roger's Pass BC ...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186923.jpgHolger's Landclass, default textures Roger's Pass BC....http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186924.jpgRegards'Garett

Guest Rockcliffe

I too found UTX essential. I fly a lot around the B.C. coast and Vancouver Island the the coastlines and islands are very poorly represented with the default FSX scenery. It's amazing with UTX.I bought the FSGenesis mesh as well, but am less pleased with it, especially because virtually every bush airport is to some degree on a plateau or in a canyon. This is gradually being resolved though with patches.BlairCYOW

Guest tripecac

Wow, thanks yet again for all the info.Here's my plan:1) See how well "vanilla" FSX performs with auto-gen set to a low level.2) If it's slow (like the demo), then don't bother spending money on add-ons. Wait until either Vista or my PC get faster (or there's a new, faster version of FS).3) If my system runs well w/ vanilla FSX and low auto-gen, see if there is a discounted "bundle" of GEX, UTX US, UTX CAN, UTX Alaska. Buying all these individually will get expensive, so I'd be looking for the cheapest option. Does anyone know of a bundle like this?4) If I cannot find a bundle of GEX and UTX, start w/ GEX (which seems the least system-crippling, and covers the greatest area).5) Wait as long as possible to get UTX (in case there are bundle discounts or a new version w/ Alaska).6) Don't install Holger's FS9 stuff; wait for his FSX versions. I already downloaded his FSX Bella Coola and Victoria (which also has the San Juan Islands), but will avoid his FS9 landclasses. 7) Don't bother with FSGenesis.Does that reasonable?

Guest tripecac

FSX and Acceleration arrived today.The default scenery shows Skagit County (south of Bellingham, WA) as being forested, when in real life it's mostly fields.Is this something that would be fixed by UTX? GEX?

That's an issue of inaccurate landclass in FSX. In a rural area like that UTX probably does not change it, and GEX is textures, not landclass.You need a landclass addon. I prefer FSGenesis in the Pacific NW, but there are others.Post a screenshot, including the coordinates, and I will duplicate it with FSGenesis, so you can see the difference.John

Guest tripecac

Okay, here's a view looking south from Samish Overlook (on Blanchard mountain). lat: 48 37.16lon: 122 25.78alt: 2424 ftheading: 160The first picture is FSX (vanilla) and the second is real.