Sign in to follow this  
tohughes76

Can the timing of twilight/darkness be changed?

It seems to me that the transition of the sky to twilight and darkness happens too early in relation to sunset. While the sun is just hitting the horizon, it is already almost completely dark looking back to the east. My thought is that it would be much more realistic if the sky changed its colors about 15-30 minutes later as the sun sets. Is there any parameter that can be changed to adjust the times the sky textures transition to darkness in relation to the sun's position? Same question for the transition to day light at sunrise...

Guest UlfB

Hi,Edited: Oops! Didn't read your post careful enough. My answer below is off topic. Sorry.You might try to add some settings to your fsx.cfg file.From Phil Taylor's blog: ----------------------------------For the dusk/dawn textures some people feel that the result is too dark or too light. There are 2 items that allow the transition time to be changed:DAY_THRESHOLDNIGHT_THRESHOLDAcceptable values are 0 to 65535. Defaults:DAY: 32768NIGHT: 4096These represent the amount of

Thanks Ulf...I have tried to make use of the threshold lines, but I am not seeing any visible changes no matter what values I use for either parameter.I reread Phil's blog which you have quoted above. I am not really sure I understand exactly how the values should be used to acheive changes in ambient light. I assumed that raising one or both of the thresholds would create more ambient light during the day night blend, but I am not seeing those results.If anyone has adjusted these with success, can you post how the values are adjusted? Or if you happen to read this Phil, can you provide more clarification on how to go about this?Thanks,Tim

Guest Nick_N

Those lines control when the dusk/dawn ground textures begin to appear and fade out. All my tests show changing them is only valuable to a certain area depending on daytlight/time of yearI removed the lines after figuring out they were causing more trouble than they were worth. I may get one area locked down and another was showing dusk/dawn ground textures too soon, or too late.The values do not affect the time and the sunrise or sunset

Thanks Nick. I guess you would have that one figured out as well as anybody with all of your work on the GEXn night textures. To me, the ground textures look fairly correct for the sun position just prior to sunset, but the sky is too dark. I was hoping those lines changed the sky color transition start/finish, not the ground textures. Do you think that it could be handled with custom sky textures in FEX?