Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

GNS 530 Question

Guest byoung

Hi AVSIMMERS,It has been awhile since I used the GNS 530 for an Approach w/ Vectors. I have looked at the Garmin manual and still I am a little unclear on the procedure to engauge the GNS 530 on the ILS Approach 30' intercept.I selected PROC and selected the approach, and Vectors and Activate or Load. There is also an Approach with Vectors menu item. My understanding is that I then select the CDI key to put the device in VLOC mode? Here is where I need some summarized cookbook instructions.Thanks in advance!Barry

You got it in one. The display of the "Vector Approach" is for visual reference only. It will display a magenta line for the current leg of the approach and you will either fly it by hand, or use the AP w/HDG bug to fly the approach. All ILS must be flown using the tuned localizer on the Nav receiver.Even though you can "cheat" and allow the GNS530 to fly the approach, that is incorrect RL procedure... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest PPSFA

I use the GPS for vectors to get a visual of the approach, but have my nav 1 set to the ILS then switch to nav/appr once I intercept the localizer, works great for me.

Guest byoung

Hi Bill,Thanks for the info. Once I have activated Approach with Vectors, do I press the CDI key to switch over to the NAV receiver and do the approach that way? In some A/C you just switch from GPS to NAV and then the NAV receiver is selected, dial in the course, and do the approach the normal way. Am I making sense? How is this accomplished with Vectors to Final, how do I switch to the NAV receiver using the GNS 530?I am a little fuzzy on the process. It has been awhile.Barry

The CDI button is just another NAV/GPS switch. It serves the same function.When the GPS is driving, the CDI needles on the HSI are magenta (purple). When NAV1 is driving, the CDI needles on the HSI are green.This is all explained in detail in the Learning Center's article on the GPS. You really should take the time to read it... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest byoung

Thanks Bill,I think I figured it out... I am more of a cookbook type person. I like the detail, but just want to know the steps.Barry

Guest byoung

I did the transistion from GPS to VLOC once perfectly. On my last flight, I had problems getting the GNS to tune and select NAV1. The approach before it indicated LOC on the NAV1 gauge, and I saw GS captured properly. This time I couldn't get it to select the NAV1 guage properly. I pressed CDI and VLOC, I was able to tune the frequency and select it, but it never made its way to the NAV1 gauge. This is frustrating. Here is the cookbook much like a pilot check list:(1) MS ATC first instruction (expect vectors runway 31 approach).(2) Went autopilot for first vector heading (HDG).(3) GPS unit Hit PROC and selected the app for 31. (4) Selected VECTORS.(5) Activated the approach.(6) Dialed in the course for the runway NAV1.(7) Tuned VLOC Runway 31 ILS Frequency And selected it (top freq).(8) Enabled NAV FROM GPS (similiar to CDI key)If I select GPS, the NAV1 captures fine. If I swich to VLOC, nothing. The only thing I can figure is I missed activating the approch some how, or did it too early.WHAT AM I MISSING?Again, the first time, the above instructions worked like a charm. On the second approach, I had problems getting the NAV1 to indicate LOC observing the deflection, etc. Like you would do with dialing everything into the NAVs. I'll try one more flight as well to see if I can figure out what happened.Any help would be appreciatedThanks!Barry

I don't use the fs gps but from real world ones I would expect your step (5) is the culprit.When you complete step 5-it is possible you are loading but not activating the approach.(edit -I see the fs one has an activate selection you can scroll too).When close in you once again have to hit the proc button, and now you will have selections to "activate" the approach-at that point it should be activated.When I first started flying a kln94 this confused the heck out of me too. I couldn't figure out why the approaches were not activating either... :-)http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest byoung

Thanks Geofa!As always, I appreciate your help.I am trying another flight to see if I can figure out what I did, or didn't do??Thanks again!Barry

Guest PPSFA

I can tell you what works for me:First I check destination weather to determine the appropiate runway.Once I have that, I go to 'Select Approach' on the PROC page, find the approach, then 'LOAD' it. That places it in the FPL page, but does not activate it.Depending on the runway and the direction I am heading, I will start vectoring manually 20-30 miles out so as to end up with an 'intercept angle' to the localizer of 30-40 degrees. Once I am at that initial approach fix (IAF) I 'Activate Vector' on the GPS. I do NOT 'Activate the Approach' unless I am going to use the GPS for the entire approach, I usually use the ILS.Once the Localizer 'bug' comes 'alive', I then switch to APPR mode. The radios have been pre-set to the ILS freq and the final approach course set with the course knob. You dont have to set the knob but I like to have everything lined up. Be sure you are at the FAF altitude somewhere between the IAF and the FAF and you will intercept and capture the glideslope at the marker and from there its just a matter of releasing the AP at about 500ft and landing. So basicly I use the GPS for the moving map while using the NAV1/Appr mode for the actual approach and landing.Hope this helps

Guest byoung

Geof,OK I figured it out. I must not have activated it properly. This time was a charm... I know exactly what I did.Thanks again!Barry