Sign in to follow this  
MickBz

FSX & G1000

I just recently read the learning center articles and played around with the FSX Mooney and C172 models that offer the Garmin G1000 panels (didn't get to the Baron). I shortly went back to the round gauge versions and the GPS 500.This panel is really a hot topic in the real world of aviation now. The magazine that I subscribe to features article after article on it's capabilities, stressing that it is a huge step forward, standard on many of the new GA aircraft and a popular retrofit to some existing aircraft. Apparently it has now become standard even on the new C172's.The FSX versions of this system however seem to be pretty much cobbled together and really not much fun to operate. Critical controls and displays like autopilot, flap positions, elevator trim, lighting controls, etc. are not generally shown on the G1000 main displays, but have to be called up by the old "shift-number" method. There are not even any icons for them. Then they cover parts of the G1000 display of course.Since the big selling point of the real G1000 is that all the information you need is right in front of you, the FSX versions seem to be pretty lame.Are many of the FSX people actually using the G-1000's? What am I missing here?Regards,Thrakete

Almost everything on fs is not 100% from the comm radios to the primary instruments, garmin gps's etc.They are a good starting point for most though, and thankfully almost everything (with a few big holes) is available in greater detail and simulation thru 3rd party developers.To my knowledge right now there is only this (vista version still in beta):http://www.mindstarprods.com/aviation/index.htmlhttp://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Thanks for the response.You have a good point-similar problems do exist with the standard FS panels. In most cases of course, it is not possible to design a full panel that is usable in FS and is also readable. I guess that I have just gotten used to the other panel types in FS over the years.My real intent however, was to just determine whether a significant number of people were using the FS G1000's.I still do not think it would have been much of an additional effort to provide Icon switching for the necessary pop-ups for the G1000's as is done in the standard panels. Also, the resource requirements for the G1000's (at least on my computer) require resetting my sliders to get a usable frame rate during approach. That most certainly needs work.I just have the impression that it is another case of the managers pushing the engineers into releasing something before it is finished. As a retired Aerospace Engineer, I have to admit I probably have a somewhat biased viewpoint.Regards,Thrakete

>Thanks for the response.>-SNIP->My real intent however, was to just determine whether a>significant number of people were using the FS G1000's.>>I still do not think it would have been much of an additional>effort to provide Icon switching for the necessary pop-ups for>the G1000's as is done in the standard panels. Also, the>resource requirements for the G1000's (at least on my>computer) require resetting my sliders to get a usable frame>rate during approach. That most certainly needs work.>-SNIP->Regards,>>>Thrakete>Hi Thrakete,My default flight uses a cold & dark Beech Baron with the G1000.I use it for testing new scenery additions and other mods to my FSX environment as well as just flying about.However, I have modified my G1000 to add some items on the PFD such as a pitch trim readout, a wind direction arrow and velocity readout.On the MFD, I have added a mode to display the FSX radar alongwith a new button on the audio panel to activate the radar.If you are familiar with XML coding it's not terribly difficultto 'customize' your instruments, although I must say the 'new'FSX XML schema makes it a bit more challenging, what with it's overly verbose, bloated format.There are some shortcomings/problems when it comes to enteringdata into the G1000. To avoid a 'doubling' of characters thatare entered, you must enter data using the display on the paneland NOT the enlarged 'popup' version. I could see how someone that didn't use TrackIR and custom camera definitions would have a heck of a time trying to enter data into the instrument.I have to move to the right seat and lean forward to be able toread the display and operate the knobs on the MFD. It's definatelynot as easy to use as the previous FS9/X GPS units, that is for sure! Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>I just have the impression that it is another case of the>managers pushing the engineers into releasing something before>it is finished. As a retired Aerospace Engineer, I have to>admit I probably have a somewhat biased viewpoint.Since the Garmin 1000 is quite a sophisticated product and CPU hungry on it's own; it really is a case of not expecting to be a complete working and "finished" project to start with. Afterall, I'd want the XM weather running off real weather updates, and the full terrain/terrain warning data base in operation too. :7 Other than that, I don't use it for flight simulation. I prefer V/C's, and the Garmin representation is just too small in this mode. It bleeds off frame rates too! In real life, I like this stuff!L.Adamson

this is all great stuff to read :-) I thought I was the only one who couldnt read that thing. I have to use the pop up (or at least I always have) and I always got that double character entry problem.I will try using the panel version next time and see what happens.I stay away from the G1000 for several reasons. Its clumsy to use. It has the double character entry problem (for me and at least a few others apparently). some of the clickspots seem to be too close together. and for some reason my system just locks up periodically when I try to select a new waypoint for the 'Direct To' feature. it also does eat frames.I'd love to have a good working version.I'm still waiting for RXPs GNS 530 for FSX.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Keep and eye on Eaglesoft's web site. They are in the process of creating the Diamond DA-42 which will have the fully operational MindStar G1000 unit (the unit geofa mentioned). ES is also going to be creating a G1000 version of their excellent Columbia 400. I don't even bother with the FS default stuff, as nothing really operates as it does in reality. Probably the reason I only fly 3rd party stuff. The more it operates like the real thing, the more chance it will get my money. The ES aircraft with the G1000 system will do just that.Here is a link to the development of the DA-42http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40

-SNIP->>I stay away from the G1000 for several reasons. Its clumsy to>use. It has the double character entry problem (for me and at>least a few others apparently). some of the clickspots seem>to be too close together. and for some reason my system just>locks up periodically when I try to select a new waypoint for>the 'Direct To' feature. it also does eat frames.-SNIP-EVERYONE has the 'double character problem' when using the popup.It's an overlooked glitch in the FSX implementation.You CAN use the popup but after entering each character you have to use the knob ( I forget which one...inner/outter ) to backspaceover the doubled character, enter the next character, repeat ad nauseum. Also, you have to hit enter after backspacing afterthe final character input. ( I think that's correct...it's beensome time since I 'figured it out' and now only use the panelmount instead of the popup. )As to the 'too close together' clickspots, one can easily changethose in the XML code to reposition them, increase their size, etc.It's a bit of a chore sifting through the BLOATED FSX XML codebut if you are comfortable editing XML code you can make thingswork to your 'specifications' :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hi Paul,I did program some C gauges several years back, and even longer ago (before Windows) wrote some Command Line activated C programs for Amateur radio use.In FSX land, I have moved XML gauges from one airplane to another, corrected error indications that the ACES tool indicates on add-on aircraft so that they load with less of a hassle etc., but am definitely not much at XML Script writing.However, I think I could probably add some of the pop-ups to the main screen though I haven't tried it.I like the Mooney Bravo and first tried to use the FSX G1000 model of it, but apparently they left out some critical things like a pitch trim indicator (if it's in the pop-ups I can't find it), so I probably lost interest prematurely. I may take another look at it.The "double entry" thing sounds intimidating though--that will take some thought. Thanks for the response,Regards,Thrakete

O.K. Guys,I guess the jury is still out on whether I want to use the G1000's badly enough to to tackle the associated problems. My urge to stay current on state-of-the-art technology is not what it used to be.In any case though, thanks for responding to my post.Regards,Thrakete

Thrakete, here's something to look at....>Hi Paul,>-SNIP->I like the Mooney Bravo and first tried to use the FSX G1000>model of it, but apparently they left out some critical things>like a pitch trim indicator (if it's in the pop-ups I can't>find it), so I probably lost interest prematurely. I may take>another look at it.>-SNIP-Here is the code I inserted into the G1000 'g1000_pfd.xml' toadd a pitch trim readout.It is inserted between the code sections with the headings and .//----------Added readout for pitch trim here---------- 535.000,380.000TrueGlass Gauge0x01E00D16TRIMRIGHT50,18True595.000,380.000TrueArial0x01E00D18%((A:Elevator trim pct, percent over 100) 150 * near 10 /)%!4.1f!RIGHT47,20True//--------------------------------------------------- Hope this formats OK.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I bought the Garmin stand alone trainer for the G1000 when it first came out-at the time it caused the current computers to do a crawl-just the simulation mind you-no flight simulator included.Now with faster computers we should do better and I look forward to a 100% simulation soon-again the fsx one though not perfect gives a good taste without grinding things to a halt.I think the Eaglesoft strategy above stated makes good sense-I am at least planning a similar stategy...http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Where is g1000_pfd.xml? Searched but couldn't find.

HI,I just used panel studio and edited the minipanel= put the autopilot simicons (and altitude alerter) next to the guages.Just press 'W' anytime to change window to adjust AP settings. Handywhen on Glidescope too.H.A.N.D.

>Where is g1000_pfd.xml? Searched but couldn't find.It's in the G1000.cab file. You need to 'de-cab' it toa folder of the same name and you will then see all theXML files that make up the various portions of the G1000installation as wellas the BMP files.Since you weren't aware of that I would caution you tolook into XML coding with regards to gauges before yougo digging around :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg