Sign in to follow this  
BeachAV8R

Landing in the VC window

It is always nice to land in the VC mode but I cannot see properly ahead of me as the panel blocks the terrain ahead. I can only see the runway when I bring the nose down and this is not a realistic practice.I usually land with 'no panel' having the important instrument data printed on the top of the screen by using the shift z key. How else could I have the VC mode during landing which would have a more realistic feel? RegardsShri

Guest Senap

Try using Shift+Enter to move your eyepoint up a bit. Use Shift+Backspace to move down again if needed.Unfortunately, the height is reset to the default position if you use Ctrl+Spacebar to reset your view (which I often do).Hope this helps :)

>This is where tracker ir is very helpful-as in real life you>can change your eye position without touching and instead>looking.>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/With TrackIR4 Pro, do you have to wear anything on your head (headset, etc.)? I couldn't figure that out on their web site. It looked like the guy didn't have anything.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

You wear a little thingy that clasps to a ball cap no problem. This comes with the TrackIR. They also sell something called a Track Clip (sp?) that will clip onto headphones if you wear headphones.TrackIR really does rock. Can't see over the panel...straighten up and lean forward...it really is cool.I flew from Steamboat Springs to Salt Lake City last night and never used the 2D panel. You even find yourself looking out the window in VC mode more than panning in spot view.

Guest Sirocco

Another vote for TrackIR. It makes the approach and landing so much easier and intuitive.

>Another vote for TrackIR. It makes the approach and landing>so much easier and intuitive.Ditto here as well.Once you 'fly' with TrackIR you'll not be able to do without it. It adds another dimension to the FS experience and adds a great deal to the 'suspension of disbelief'.TrackIR, in combination with camera definitions with hot-keysmapped to my #2 POV hat makes moving about the cockpit toenjoy outside views of view/operate VC panel controls a snap.Speaking of camera definitions, that would be one possible solutionto your viability problem.Simply define a camera view that places your eye-point where you want it for landing, along with the desired ZOOM factor,then assign a hot-key to activate that camera definitionwhen landing. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest SkullxBones

I edit the eyepoint for each aircraft I have. Open the aircraft.cfg file for the aircraft you want to fly and look under the 'Views' section for the eyepoint setting. It will look like this:eyepoint = 53.0, -1.8, 4.3 To raise your eyepoint to see over the panel increase the third number, in this case 4.3 to a higher number like 4.9.The first number will change your fore/aft eyepoint, the second number will change your right left eyepoint.I also use TrackIR and by editing my favorite aircraft eyepoint setting, I don't have to stretch to see over the panel, or squat down and then reset TrackIR to see over.

>You wear a little thingy that clasps to a ball cap no>problem. This comes with the TrackIR. They also sell>something called a Track Clip (sp?) that will clip onto>headphones if you wear headphones.>That's really disappointing that I would have to wear headgear. I don't want to wear a hat just to use my sim. Also I don't what to wear headphones! :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

It has to reflect the IR light somehow. You forget you even have the hat on.

What hit on performace does TRACKIR have to the sim? Ive looked at it and have read reviews about it and they all say it takes some getting use to before you can say that you like it. Is there any truth to those statements in your opinion?

Jim Wenham

On my old pIv 3.2 ghz I noticed a 1-3 fps penalty when fsx was stressed-e.g. below 20 fps. Above that and on my new rig I don't notice much of anything.It took me about 10 minutes to get used to it. Funny thing is after using it only a little while-when not using it I was still moving my head expecting the views to move e.g. getting used to it is very quick. I don't use it all the time just cause I don't always want to have my headset on.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest SkullxBones

I have a Q6600 cpu and I don't see any difference in FPS with TrackIR.As far as getting used to it, it took me about a few days to tweak the profile to where I was happy with it. I get pretty good FPS with my system so I am happy with TrackIR. I was bush flying yesterday with that new Piper SuperCub download and with FPS spiking into triple digits the TrackIR was sliky smooth and the realism it adds when it's like that is incredible. But with my PMDG747 at KLAX with 80% AI, I'm down to 12-14 FPS in VC and the effect isn't as good. It's a little disorienting when your head movement is fast and the FPS are low. If I was fighting bad FPS all the time, I don't know how enjoyable TrackIR would be. But then, even when I'm down to 12-14 FPS, I still prefer to have my TrackIR working than not.

Guest NoobPilot

I usually fly with a headset. It's really cool. If you get a USB headset, or have two audio cards, then you can have ATC in your headset and the cockpit and engine noises coming out of your speakers, just to make it even MORE realistic. I used to be a World of Warcraft addict, so I had one sitting around, when I realised I could do this.

>>You wear a little thingy that clasps to a ball cap no>>problem. This comes with the TrackIR. They also sell>>something called a Track Clip (sp?) that will clip onto>>headphones if you wear headphones.>>>>>That's really disappointing that I would have to wear>headgear. I don't want to wear a hat just to use my sim. >Also I don't what to wear headphones! :)>>>RhettYou could stick three pieces of reflective tape to yourforehead, or maybe some of that eyeshadow with the littlesparkles in it :)The clip-on thingie for headsets could probably be used with a pair of glasses...a real 'kewl' pair of Aviator sunglasses perhaps :)Seriously, What I do is wear a visor. That way I'm not trapping alot of heat on the top of my head. Paul

Wide-5.jpg