Sign in to follow this  
BeachAV8R

Landing in the VC window

:-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol

Jim Wenham

Guest Odosim

Shri, I have been flying FS simulators since 1983. I never had any problems with landing using any of the other FS versions, including FS2004. But I installed FSX since November and then went through a whole period of frustration using the default planes. But I got over that and will try to tell you how, as briefly as I can. I am able can land any of the default planes (using the autopilot or on manual) after a week of finding out how best to manage the views. So it works and I do not have TrackerIR. Don't give up.I use the 2D panels to take off. Some of the default panels on FSX, for some of the planes, cover up the screen so you will have to click the appropriate icons to reduce them. They are with the icons for the GPS and radios. After taking off you can then click to get the IFR panel, for some planes, which are large but you do not see outside. This is not a problem as you are climbing and using the guages.If you are on say downwind and want to see the airport, you can do that no problem. I use the 2D panel all the way for long distances or around the circuit. If you use the VC panel and you look around with the view hat on your joystick then you will have to center it using the spacebar. For landing, I configure the plane properly (jets, turbo prop, or piston) and when I am making my last turn from base to approach, I go into VC mode. At this point you only have to worry about getting the right descent rate and aligning with the runway. Since you are in VC mode now, you will use the plus and minus sign on the keyboard to make sure you see the gauges well especially for the speed and (rpm, N1, or torque). You will then see the runway all the way as you add flaps and reduce power on your approach. This works very well for me. The clue is not to keep on changing from VC to 2D too often; it is confusing. You will have no problem landing if your plane is well configured for the approach. Another thing is that for some default planes you do not have any problems with either VC or 2D panels on approach. But you can land all of them using the VC. I land the B737-800, for example only using the VC mode. It is easier.Hope this all helps. What planes do you fly? If I know I can be more specific. Happy flying.

Odosim Thanks for your painstaking reply. I usually at the final, change to 2D panel and use the w key to rid of the panel, which I don't need as I have the important aircraft information on the top of my screen by shift Z key all the time, and now I have good view outside for me to land. So this is not a problem to get me landing but I would like to have the feel I am inside the cockpit especially during taking off and landing. However I think other option is to elevate your seat which I have to try, and how do you do that? RegardsShri

Guest fsxmissionguy

Shri,Here are the key combinations to use to adjust your seat. I am always moving my seat. On taxi, I move up to see over the nose of the aircraft. When crusing, I move the seat down to see outside the windows and not have the wing obstructing my view. On approach, I move the seat back up, since I'm mostly looking out over the nose again.I suspect that in real life, pilots do this all the time.Shift-Enter (moves seat up)Shift-Backspace (moves seat down)Control-Enter (moves seat backwards in the cockpit)Control-Backspace (moves the seat forward in the cockpit)I tend to want my seat a bit more forward than the designers. This allows me to balance the view out the window with respect to the view of my instruments. Moving the seat foward allows you to zoom out without making your instruments too small to read.Cheers,

Guest Odosim

Shri,You should try Shift-Enter and Shift-Backspace to move the seat up and down. To go to the default seat position Ctrl-Space. I do not use it. It does not work well for me. I see you want to be in the cockpit when you land. I am. Somehow it seems that you take off the panel when you land. You do not have to. If you let me know what default plane you fly in FSX, maybe I can see what to do so that you have the panel VC mode or the 2D mode on when you land. Regards.Odosim.

If you want to see what TrackIR looks like in action..and how it can help with the problem you describe (not being able to see over the nose)..you can check out the 2 videos I have on the Track IR web-site used with FSX:http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-pro...uct-videos.htmlHope you get it sorted..landing without seeing the runway can make things interesting.. ;)BeachAV8R