Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The 'tweak' that isn't...but instead a powerful use of ...

I took off today from Myrtle Beach (KMYR) with all sliders to the right, except water to Mid low, and Traffic at 50 percent commercial, and zero percent for General Aviation. I had airport traffic (Ground Support) at medium.Had a lot of eye candy to enjoy for pre-flight, start up and then taxi.After taking off from R18...and then heading back inland towards Florence, S.C. and getting around 22 FPS in lock down, and around 22 to peaks of 40-50 at climb out...I got to thinking.Since I left KMYR, did I really care about what was happening back there at KMYR in my virtual world? Not really...for I couldn't see it from the cockpit.Ok..so in maturing this reasoning...and that I was cruising around 3,500 FT ASL amongst the countryside, would I really see any other commercial A.I. aircraft? Probably not. But...being that my FSX SETTINGS were in fact busy with the above, for about 100 miles out from my aircraft's x/y coordinates...and that my CPU (not my GPU) had to be taking cycles in keeping track and plotting the movements and animation of said 100 miles out,.......I thought that if I were to use a very powerful FSX feature..that of FSX Graphic Scenarios---that you can SAVE the present running configuration to a file, and then can also easily call that, or ANY OTHER configuration quickly back into play...it would only make sense that I would 'tailor' my SCENERY and LOAD settings for what I was actually doing. That is, where I was, mountains or flat lands, prairies or deserts, etc, at what altitude, and at what was actually being rendered around me....then what the CPU had to render (A.I. and ground, mountains and Mesh, etc,) 100 miles out of my virtual view.I then took the 1 hour it was, to 'tailor' different GRAPHIC and LOAD settings DEPENDANT on where I was flying, and how high.I now have config files that are for:1. **VFR Flat lands** (requiring no real mesh load)2. **Mountainous and foothills** (MESH brought up to support the view scape) I have a sub-set for FL's, where you don't see much on the ground, which I then dumb down the mesh and detail settings.3. **Approach within 20 miles** of my landing airport (This config brings up Commercial A.I. to 50 percent, and Airport Traffic (Ground Support)to Medium.4. I have a **General VFR and IFR Cruise** config that is a mean average of what I expect to experience visually and aurally.Having taken the time to truly CUSTOMIZE the virtual world according to where you are..and at what altitude... has given me in some cases sustainable FPS into believe-it-or-not, high 30's to mid 40's with a lot of flash peaks into the 70's and 80's. I really only take SUSTAINABLE within +3/-3 as the true performance. Not the peaks, even though they are interesting to note.Try this out...start off at your airport of choice. Save a config. Then take-off and level out. Observe what you are now seeing..and most importantly..NOT SEEING! Lower your graphics or raise them to match what the computer is rendering. You will find this to be one powerful 'TWEAK-THAT-ISN'T'. Not in the sense that we tweak our hardware, or a XP Tune-Up. Just a good use of a very powerful and helpful feature of FSX---but only if you take the time to set up the different flight parameters and scenarios. Give it a go. The FPS and smooth-performance payback is immediate!Cheers,Mitch

Great post Mitch!This was mentioned when fsx first came out but is probably the most under used/over looked feature of fsx.I had done exactly the same on my old machine-though on my new one it isn't really needed.Thanks for bringing it to attention again! For those who need more performance it is quite easy to do-and as you point out-every scenario can demand a quite different setup and it is useless to waste processor time on something that isn't really being used for a particular type of flight. http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>Great post Mitch!>>This was mentioned when fsx first came out but is probably the>most under used/over looked feature of fsx.>>I had done exactly the same on my old machine-though on my new>one it isn't really needed.>>Thanks for bringing it to attention again! For those who need>more performance it is quite easy to do-and as you point>out-every scenario can demand a quite different setup and it>is useless to waste processor time on something that isn't>really being used for a particular type of flight. ----------------------------------------------------Geofa..since I have done this...and it only take about 20 seconds to load the 'next' phase of my flight, or anticipated terrain...I have had STELLAR P4 3.4GHz performance out of FSX-Plus and there is a smile on the kisser, fourteen states wide! :)Yehawwwwwwwwwww......:)Mitch

Down, Mitch, down boy! :-lolGeez - he gets excited, doesn't he??:-beerchugpj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Good post. I thought you were getting at the following:Wouldn't it be a nice feature of FS11, to have it be set up to dynamically (as you're flying along) load different configs, based on what you're actually doing at that time? It's a thought anyway.I thought you were going there. Instead, you went the direction we can do right now, which is manually load different configs. :) wHich I do already, and yes, it's a great feature often overlooked.I have:bigcity.cfgnormal.cfgultra.cfgRhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

-SNIP->I thought you were going there. Instead, you went the>direction we can do right now, which is manually load>different configs. :) wHich I do already, and yes, it's a>great feature often overlooked.>>I have:>bigcity.cfg>normal.cfg>ultra.cfg>>Rhett Rhett, I'm assuming those cfg files are in lieu of the default named fsx.CFG. Can those be specified via a command line switch when FSX is loaded? Right now I have tailored cfg files for flying propliners, military jets and the default. I currently 'access' these using the old FS9 method of making a copy of the exe and renaming it to reflect the cfg I want. At the moment I am just modifying the simobjects list to eliminate all the unnecessary aircraft from my environment and the selection list ( all those RAZBAM A-6's sure clutter it up :) ). Another thing I would like to see if the ability to load a particular scenery.cfg file via a command line switch. I created several modified scenery.cfg files, exluding all terrain and mesh, etc that wasn't in the region I was intending to fly...broad areas... USA, Europe, Hawaii, ALL. At present I have to copy the desired modified scenery.cfg file to overwrite the scenery.cfg that is to be loaded before I start FSX. It works but is something that I'd like to be able to do automatically. At some point I'll probably write batch files to do the manipulation once I remember how to do all that...now where is that DOS information at? :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>> Rhett, I'm assuming those cfg files are in lieu of the>default> named fsx.CFG. Can those be specified via a command line>switch > when FSX is loaded?>No, it's not like that. You can switch from within the sim. It's in the menus, to load or save a configuration.I use it fairly often. It only takes a minute or so to load one.> Right now I have tailored cfg files for flying propliners,>military> jets and the default. I currently 'access' these using the>old> FS9 method of making a copy of the exe and renaming it to>reflect> the cfg I want.> I need to rebuild my propliner fleet...I used to really be into flying those, particularly DC-6B's. I just got Jen's K's latest DC-4 so that will be a good re-starting for me.FSX multiple configs is what you want then. There's no need to exit the sim to do it unless you are modifying settings that you can't change from the FSX user interface.An example would be, if you had different TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT settings. You can't change that from within the sim, in that case you must do as you mention, have multiple FSX.CFG files...But for other settings that can be changed in the FSX menus, then yes MS gave us a nice built-in way to switch between configs easily.>> Another thing I would like to see if the ability to load a>particular> scenery.cfg file via a command line switch. I created>several> modified scenery.cfg files, exluding all terrain and mesh,>etc > that wasn't in the region I was intending to fly...broad>areas...> USA, Europe, Hawaii, ALL. At present I have to copy the>desired> modified scenery.cfg file to overwrite the scenery.cfg that>is > to be loaded before I start FSX. It works but is something>thatHmm that's interesting, never thought of doing that. Have you noticed benefits to doing this (less mem usage, frames, load times, etc.)?> I'd like to be able to do automatically. At some point I'll> probably write batch files to do the manipulation once I>remember> how to do all that...now where is that DOS information at?>:)>> Paul>I have some nice old DOS manuals from way back, that tell about batch file commands. Probably all of the same info is on the net somewhere. I used to use batch files to load FS5 variants or one of the old sims. I had two servers crash under me this week, my mind is blown. I can't remember all of that old DOS stuff, been too long ago. :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Down, Mitch, down boy! :-lol>>Geez - he gets excited, doesn't he??>>:-beerchug>>pj------------------------------(large smile! :) ) It's the nature of my beast...lol.