Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

Default Acft

Is it possible to remove some of the default acft without screwing up anything else?cheers,irish3

Guest Nils79

I think that would be problematic for missions and ai-traffic (if you use the default.. or custom which uses the default airplanes :D).Why do you want to do that?

I would highly recommend you do not remove any default aircraft.But I think the ones which come up on the original startup flights are the most critical ones - the Aircreations Trike, the CRJ and the C-172.

Guest Captain America

In the Airplanes folder I created a new folder named, "UnusedDefault Aircraft." I moved all the default aircraft exceptthe default Cessna 172 into that folder. I use the default C-172as the start up flight. This can be undone simply by moving thedefault aircraft back into the Airplanes folder. DO NOT DELETE ANYAIRCRAFT FOLDERS. I have no use for the default aircraft.I've done the same with payware aircraft versions I don't want tofly. You have to make sure the panel/sound is contained in eachfolder and not aliased to a folder in the unused folder.This greatly simplifies the Aircraft Selection Menu and makesfinding the airplane you want to fly easier.I have never had any problems doing this. I also did it in FS9with no problems. If your FSX.cfg file rebuilds for any reason,you'll get an error message cause the Air Creations Cycle cannotbe found when the program tries to rebuild the default flight.This is easy to fix.

> I have no use for the default aircraft.Well, it's obvious you don't like AI at all, or else have a boatload of 3d party AI installed... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Captain America

I use My Traffic X. I have lots of AI aircraft.But I'll put them all back just to make everybody happy.Even though I never fly them.I was just trying to answer the original posters question.It can be done.You guys would freak out if you knew what else I'd done withFSX. It loads really, really fast.

>Why would you bother to remove the default aircraft anyway?>>Unless your hard drive is extremely small (rare nowadays) and>space is at a real premium, what's the point?>>Bryan> Cluttering up of the aircraft selection menu perhaps? Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest jshyluk

Doing reviews for AVSIM, my Aircraft menu reads like a Jane's encyclopedia. Even the built-in filters only go so far. The Flying Club R44 really pushed my menu over the top installing over 200 variations. I don't wish to pare down the variety of aircraft, but I think I will have to try a better system of organizing them. For the record, I do like the FSX default aircraft, although I am gradually replacing them with third-party favourites, i.e. I like the Aerosoft Beaver and the aforementioned R44. I have yet to come across an aircraft to unseat my all-time favourite Piper J-3 Cub, though, the default Cessna 172 and Maule Orion are decent, and I do like the FSX DC-3 and Grumman Goose, warts and all. Jeff ShylukAssistent Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

>>Why would you bother to remove the default aircraft anyway?> Cluttering up of the aircraft selection menu perhaps?There is a very simple method to pare down the a/c selection list while still leaving the a/c in place for continued use by the AI engine.1. Comment out the ui_ entries in the aircraft.cfg fileatc_id=G-BAFM//ui_manufacturer="Cessna"//ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk"//ui_variation=" Blue, Gold"//ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"//ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"2. rename every thumbnail.jpg to no_thumbnail.jpg (or whatever)Voila! No more cluttered menu! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Many thanks, Bill. Good info.pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>>>Why would you bother to remove the default aircraft>anyway?>> Cluttering up of the aircraft selection menu perhaps?>>There is a very simple method to pare down the a/c selection>list while still leaving the a/c in place for continued use by>the AI engine.>>1. Comment out the ui_ entries in the aircraft.cfg file>>atc_id=G-BAFM>//ui_manufacturer="Cessna">//ui_type="C172SP Skyhawk">//ui_variation=" Blue, Gold">//ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop">//ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation">>2. rename every thumbnail.jpg to no_thumbnail.jpg (or>whatever)>>Voila! No more cluttered menu! :) Actually I've replaced all my default aircraft textures with 'real world' textures and modified my aircraft.cfg files accordingly, except for GA...I let them flay about 'as is' :) I reduce my 'clutter' by relagating various groups of sim objects to their own folders...AI Aircrft, Military AI, Propliners, etc and then use multiple fsx.CFG files tailored to only include the 'groups' I want for a particular situation. The addition of the RAZBAM Intruder with it's myriad variations prompted me to resort to the above rather that try to 'filter' using the drop down menus...I like to scan my options in one fell swoop once I've decided on a particular cfg :) For FS-next it would be nice to have the ability to designate a 'options' folder in the FS-next command line that would contain ALL the various customizable files...scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg, dll.xml, etc. so that one could have multiple setups without having to resort to multiple 'users' as you would now have to do in, say, XP. Thus cluttering up your operating system login screen... Paul

Wide-5.jpg