Sign in to follow this  
Guest mike_97112006

FSX Acceleration Issues

Guest mike_97112006

I would just like to put it out there that I bought FSX ACC about 2 days ago. Since I have installed it some of the new missions that are included in the expansion pack freeze with a message saying Flight Simulator X has encountered an error and needs to close within about 30-50% of load time into the mission. I know this for the Trout Lake to KPDX (Portland, OR) mission and the helicopter rescue mission that I think is at Timberline lodge up on Mt. Hood. After these errors I tried running the setup wizard for the expansion pack and it gave me 2 options to repair FSX Accelerator, or uninstall FSX accelerator, I tried both and it freezes on every option. I also discovered that for you users who are tied to using GEXnhanced and other FSX enhancements/addons beware as some of those addons have compatibility issues with FSX Service Pack 2. The acceleration version has SP2 loaded into it. I have found this issue today so if anyone else is having the same issue or knows a fix please share. I tried looking it up on Microsoft KB... Useless. Usually I wait to get new Microsoft products 3-6 months after the release so I can download and install patches right away instead of dealing with all the million bull sh*t bugs that seem to be tied to every microsoft product off the assembly line.Thanks everyone!-MikeHP PavilionWindows Vista SP1AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor each core (2.3GHZ) 4400+nVidia 8500GT 256MB2GB Ram300GB Sata Hard Drive

Guest fsxmissionguy

Mike,Since you're new to AVSIM, I'll just point out that your third post isn't likely to generate any solutions for you. In fact, I can't think of a better way to NOT get any help than this post.

Guest RonB49

Did you delete (or rename) the FSX.cfg file that had been used with SP1 and let FSX build a new config file for SP2? That was an important step for me. I don't remember all of the problems that the old config file caused but there were several. R-

Guest mike_97112006

I've noticed that it hangs and then throws an error while loading terrain data. I will see what deleting the terrain.cfg does. I found a lot of fsx_scenery.cfg, fsx_enulem.cfg, etc... but not just fsx.cfg. Did you mean those files?Thanks-Mike

Guest mike_97112006

Ok definitely do not delete the terrain config file, the application needs it on startup and apparently it is not a file that it compiles on startup. I am continuing to troubleshoot and will post back later if I find anything.-Mike

Guest mike_97112006

Ok I'm starting to believe that this is an Microsoft bug and is not on my end. given the detailed information supplied with the error message, but who knows maybe it is my machine. The application seems to hang on g2d.dll. I have sent a bug report to Microsoft with this information I will let you know what I here back.Detailed Error Information:Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: fsx.exe Application Version: 10.0.61637.0 Application Timestamp: 46fadb14 Fault Module Name: g2d.dll Fault Module Version: 10.0.61637.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 46fadb58 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000843ac OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: f3b5 Additional Information 2: 67157acfc10691bf1c01accd62406c5a Additional Information 3: b4f4 Additional Information 4: 686b80d14c6be7494511e7ba36846343Read our privacy statement: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409Thanks!-Mike

Guest RonB49

Yo Mike,Don't delete the terrain config file -- oh, never mind, you know that.;)You'll find the FSX config file here:C:/Documents and Settings//Application Data/Microsoft/FSXIts name is simply FSX.cfg. I rename it rather than delete it in case I wish to resurrect it later or extract custom tweaks from the old file. FSX will build a new FSX.cfg if it can't find an active file.R-

Guest mike_97112006

Ok I found the solution!!! After sending an email to Microsoft and troubleshooting through out the forum I have finally found the solution! After reading the error and noticing that it hangs on the file g2d.dll I tried the following... First I tried looking for the video shadowing and caching options in my motherboard bios and was surprised to find that it had neither options in it for either. Anyway I just decided to drop a fresh copy of g2d.dll from the FSX install dvd with the click and drag, did that fine, tried to run FSX and it told me that program files were missing from the FSX application and that it needed to be re-installed or repaired. So I spent about 45 mins just letting my computer repair off of the FSX install disc. It finished that fine, I tried running FSX again... same message. Well duh that only leads to one conclusion. The g2d.dll file is a file that Acceleration overwrites and configures during its install. So I once again repair Acceleration, yes I had tried repairing Acceleration a couple of times, the first time it told me program isn't responding as soon as I had clicked any of the 2 buttons (repair, and uninstall Acceleration). The second time I figured to just let it sit for at least 15 mins to see if it will do anything at all or if infact it actually is locked up. Sure enough it works if you just let it sit for a while. Anyway it repaired but still had the same problem. So after I clicked and dragged g2d.dll from the FSX install dvd and just overwrote the old one, then repaired the Acceleration expansion pack. Sure enough it works fine now. Obviously I could have just done a fresh install of the whole sim. Two things for 1 it takes about 45mins to an hour for FSX deluxe to install, the Acceleration pack itself takes about 20-30 mins, I really didn't feel like doing all that again if this problem could have been solved without a re-install. Reason 2 I had many missions completed already and didn't feel like just tossin it quite yet. In the long run its easier to just drag and drop then do the repair of the Acceleration pack if anyone else runs into this problem. Hope this helps! I am extremely tired and am now going to bed!!!!! Thank you everyone for your support!!-MikeP.S. Yes I am aware that many add-ons work with SP2 as I myself have a few, it has been reported however that a selected few of the older scenery add-ons had terrain generation issues after the install of SP2. Alright case closed! Again thank you!!!