Sign in to follow this  
P-12C

reno racing tutorial

Guest NoobPilot

It definitely is built around realism, I've noticed this myself. It's hard to catch up to them, especially if your realism settings are high. As for the second part, they look like vertical toothpicks. It helps to turn the mission compass and pointer on until you know the course.

I'm the one that built the mission and flew the AI aircraft. I guarantee you that the AI are flying well below full speed and I flew them (and the AI in the Reno Practice mission) at high realism.It sounds like you aren't using the mission pointer and the race map. Turn those on with the U key. Did you accept the new key mapping when you installed Acceleration? It sounds like you aren't engaging the ADI (Anti-detonation injection) which allows you to run up to about 148 inches of manifold pressure until you run out of fluid.You can map a key to the ADI in the controls menu, or you can flip the switch on the panel.Lastly, you have to fly a tight smooth line or you won't be able to compete in the practice mission.Good luck!

Great. Well I thought I should preserve that for when actually starting the race... Not thinking I should use all reserves on the "formation lap" already :). I tried to follow the earlier P51s and also cut corners but still didn

Well was easier when you used the ADI. However I noticed you can still kill the engine when you are not overheating ;). I think I am going to spend the buck on the coming 3000 hp realair spitfire x less micromanagement lol. As for the pylons well they where there. Would love a mod to make them bigger though :)

To catch-up for the start, cut the corners severely. That's what they do in real life when necessary.Generally speaking you will generate more power on the course if you stay low. It's also easier to see the pylons that way. If you fly a little higher, the engine won't produce quite as much power and you could run full throttle with ADI and not damage the engine. I don't think that will help you win the race though. When flying higher you tend to fly a wider line to make sure you don't cut a pylon. A wider line means a slower average speed on the course.As for the hard to see pylons, they are that way in real-life as well. I talked to a lot of race pilots and most of them admitted getting lost on the course because they couldn't see a pylon. When they first start out the advice commonly given is to follow the veteran pilots and stay out of the way. Once you learn the course, then go for it.I would love to give the Griffin powered Spitfire a run on the course. :)

As someone who lives here in the valley of speed the pylons are not very big. What you see is what they look like in real life. If you come here to Stead and see the races you will realize how low the racers actually fly. You pretty much have to be down on the pylon. You can't have both wingtips below the pylon or fly into a competitors blind spot if ovetakinghttp://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa20/Sn...13/IMG_2247.jpghttp://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa20/Sn...ldFinalLap1.jpg

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

Guest S1mPilot

Yep, just check the box marked "enable changes in selected mission".One the flight starts pause it and load the Spit.

Tried it today with the Racer XIV... Even easier to keep up but on the formation lap the p51 kind of floored it and in my exhiliration I blew the engine again lol...Seems quite evenly matched though I feel more confident with ground strafing in the spit than in the Mustang :)