Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grahame Myers

Heads UP!! REALAIR SPITFIRE X Released!!

I just know I'll end up buying this, but I have to ask: anyone yet flown both this and the SW P40?I am not, to be fair, a huge WW2 fan, but I like the P40, a lot. And I like the RA SF260 more than a lot. But I'd like to know whether I'll see something extra from the Spit, compared to my P40. My fear is that the 2 will be same-ish. Though, reading this and other threads elsewhere, I suspect it's a silly question. Can't recall as many wholly raving reviews. Still. Best to ask first then regret later. Any thoughts by way of comparison much appreciated.

Paul Skol

Hi Phil,I'm so glad that the Spit has given you so much pleasure. Thank you for being so straightforward and direct. Let me put in a word for my partner Sean, who is responsible for the modelling and textures you see before you.Enjoy, and thank you so much for your good humour and excellent Scottish!All the Best,Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Hi Paul; yes - I have both. "My fear is that the 2 will be same-ish."Quick answer - "No, you won't". These are definitely two different aircraft. In either case you will be getting very "scale" aircraft, to use an R/C term: they are both exemplary examples of two very fine aircraft.The Shockwave P40 is as beautifully modelled and detailed - perhaps more weathered - than the Spitfires; (which is how I like my aircraft anyway!). I don't believe either product could be created any better by either company. They are both superbly built. Bare in mind - RA includes about 25 liveries ($37.32Can) compared to the 4 variants from Shockwave ($29.95)(I think) the P4 sounds have had more attention paid to them; the Spitfire's shutdown is a very abrupt change in sound, with a marked cessation of the idle, and the introduction of, what seems to be the shutdown sound from a different recording device. There's no smooth transition, and I would have expected this. The start sounds of the Spit IX and XIV are identical even though they are two different engines. I've never heard a Griffon, but I know the Merlin moderately well and it doesn't sound quite "right" somehow. However, except for the shutdown, it is the equal of anything else on the market. The P40, on the other hand has very exceptional sounds, both externally and internally. There is extensive documentation about the making of the simulated model, including links to the actual aircraft used along with video links: Quote - "We recorded the genuine Allison engine sound, both inside and out at all power levels, and at all angles with the finest sound recording equipment available. The sounds are 100% genuine Allison P40 and have been reproduced for Microsoft FSX unlike ever before." They have.This sound sets the aircraft apart, and with its very acceptable handling characteristics, it's superb weathering, shadowing and attention to detail - this aircraft is a "must-have" for any warbird afficionado. It is a pleasure to look at, to hear and to fly.In case you think that this somehow overshadows the RealAir Spitfire(s)- it doesn't. The Spitfire is somewhat cleaner, but has all the detail that the P40 has. What sets the Spitfire apart is the flight modelling: the team of Rob and Sean have produced the very best single-seater aircraft to date, in my humble estimation. There is no other aircraft which utterly thrills one when playing around the circuit like the Mk IX does. It is responsive, it has the right balance of power, it's stall is gentle, and with gear and flaps down it's difficult to get into trouble - which is great - and most importantly - it is predictable! It will snap/flick over the top in a steep turn if you pull a bit too hard, and it will spin by bringing it to the stall and kicking in full left or right rudder. I didn't try a flick/snap roll yet, but so far it is beautifully aerobatic.The P40 is nice to fly - but it is a different and an older aircraft - not as powerful - not as maneuverable, and a different experience, just as in the real world. It was never the equal of the Spitfire, nor received the development that the Spitfire had, and so it handles and performs quite differently. Both companies have recreated these aircraft in a manner which is pretty close to "as real as it gets".AND because they are both SO well done by these two first-class companies - for me there is no choice: I have them both! Of course, this makes your decision easier, right? ;-):-beerchug

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest sillyeagle

>I just know I'll end up buying this, but I have to ask:>anyone yet flown both this and the SW P40?>In my view the Spitfire outclasses the P-40, though the P-40 had been my favorite add on along with the SF260 until the Spit came out. The P-40 is certainly the second best warbird for FSX.The spirfire just seems more refined. The only negative I've found with the Spitfire package is the engine sound for the merlin is extremely quiet when below 50% throttle and directly behind the plane in spot view, almost seems like a dead spot, but other than that perceived flaw its perfect all around. The spit has more european finesse, and the P-40 more american ruggedness.

Sorry Sean, no offence - didn't know t'was a joint effort. 11/10 for both.I find it almost stunning that such a quality item should suddely 'pop-up'. I don't mean or wish to put down any others - indeed there are now some splendid aircraft for FSX (keep em comming boys). It's just that the Spit seems to be such a giant leap forward. You,ve obviously found your vocations.You guys really have raised thr bar - thanks.

Dougal how on earth have you managed to miss the FS9 version of this plane :).

Guest Jimbofly

One word: WOW!!!This latest addition absolutely raises the bar for aircraft addons. The quality throughout is incredible, the attention to detail is beyond what I could've asked for or even dreamt of in any aircraft for FS.Oh, and I thought I'd be extra pedantic and check the tailplane whilst altering the pitch trim to see if the visual model reflected changes in trim accurately - lo and behold it does!! For the first time ever in FS an aircraft actually displays changes in trim in the tailplane correctly!!!Brilliant job RealAir team!James

One annoyance, Rob, Sean - I forgot about in the earlier post: the prop. It twitches. The FS9 version had the most smooth propeller. In the FSX version - as you increase or decrease rpm a point is reached where the stroboscopic effect of the prop seems to double the blade numbers somewhat, and then they "twitch" back and forth.This, and the shutdown sound are my only criticism of what appears to be an all-time winner in the annals of flight-simming... and a small patch might just make me very happy.... hmmm? ;-)All the best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi PJ,I'll pass your comments on to Sean regarding the prop. It doesn't annoy me and I personally don't find the prop instrusive, but we'll see what Sean says about it.Shutdown sound....explain please? Thanks.Rob Young - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Hi Rob; operating the throttle over the entire range is very smooth and well-sounding: most excellent "music" - but once back at the pan, sitting,(taking off your helmet, etc.,)she has a nice, burbling idle until you switch off the mags: I guess I'm looking for the mechanical engine/prop sounds minus the deep combustion "thumps" and the exhaust stack sounds as the engine slows down to a halt. The change in sound appears markedly abrupt, as if it were a separate track actually added on to the end of the "idling" track (if "track" is the right word). Regards, Thanks for the attention, Rob, but remember, too - it may just be me and my picky-ness. Some folks are that way, but the vast majority are very happy the way things are. I don't want you to take my criticism (I hate that word) too seriously and start beating yourself up over it. It's very evident this particular "product" is the epitome of excellence in aircraft simulation, and my nit-picking is inconsequential by comparison. Thanks....

Hi PJ,You are correct...the shutdown sound is an independent sound triggered by either zero mixture or pressing SHIFT CONTROL F1. In FSX the wav file has to be an exact length or it cuts out the first bit of the wav. It also has a slight delay unless your system is completely untaxed by other things. Depending on which angle your view is the idle sound changes slightly, especially in Spot view, whereas the shutdown sound is fixed and as far as I know cannot be integrated.Most developers compensate for this by making the shutdown sound very quiet but I fancied making it a bit more dynamic, hence it can stick out like a sore thumb. If it irritates you, you can use the standard Windows Sound Editor (I think it's in the Win system folder) and reduce the volume of the shutdown wav, after backing up with a safety copy of course!All the Best,Rob Young - Realair

aaaahh... perfectly reasonable explanation, Rob. I've never looked at the Sound Editor - rather fly than fix!Regards,

As regards the overall impression, I can only echo what earlier posters have said. Absolutely brilliant!The only 'snag' that I have is that in spite of following the Flying Guide I cannot get the AI a/c to show at West Malling. Just lonely old me and I was looking forward to doing a few circuits with the other Spits. I have the general a/c slider all the way over to the right. Any ideas please?

Dougal how on earth have you managed to miss the FS9 version of this plane .CheersP