Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

New Rig..First install of FSX

Guest harleyman52

And could someone please tell me..1) Does it always open in virtual cockpit? And can you make it not DO that ???Plus then you must go to windowed mode(guess thats what it is) and change views.......not to bad....BUTThen how do you get back into full screen mode ????Thanks...Its so anoying.....Plus as in FS9 when you dropped all windows while flying(dash,guages etc..)you could look around and behind and up with no obstructions..(wings ,fuselage..etc)..Can you not do that with FSX?Again thanks.....

In Settings/Display/Aircraft there is an option where you can change the default cockpit view to the 2D panel.To toggle between windowed and full screen mode simply hit Alt + Enter.As for changes to the view system since FS9 I think the new sim is trying to move to an emphasis on the VC rather than on the 2D panel. You can still get side views when you use the W key to cycle the 2D view to the main guages, and then use the hat switch to look left and right, but these view will be borrowed from the VC.And regarding the new emphasis let me say that I used to be a 2D man in the old days, but since FSX I'm an enthusiastic convert to VC driving. I've got a TrackIR device and what a difference it makes. I'll never go back to the 2D panel unless some function is not available in the VC.Try the VC. I'm sure you could get used to it.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

A new flight starts with the parameters of the default flight. The FLTSIM.FLT (default flight)was saved with a VC view so that's how a new flight will begin. If you wish things otherwise, then set up a flight exactly the way you want things to be when you start; save the flight and make it the default when you save it. You may also edit things directly in a saved flight (such as zoom level, etc) before starting up the sim - do make a backup, of course!All views may be changed in full screen mode - use ALT+ENTER to switch between full-screen and windowed mode.The initial install, I seem to recall, shows the unobstructed view in 2D mode like FS9 but this was changed with SP1 so that the virtual cabin is now seen in 2D mode everywhere other than the front view; upset quite a number of folks it seems....You may fly FSX UN-updated, fly an AC without virtual cabin, fly from the external view, use a custom camera, or search recent forum posts.. a work-around has recently been described that may suffice.Good luckLoyd

Guest harleyman52

Thanks to you both....Its starting to make sense now...I knew upon first install there was the 2D that I was used too..Then it was gone..I thought I waqs loosing it slightly......I will look into that work around Loyd.....All views may be changed in full screen mode - use ALT+ENTER to switch between full-screen and windowed mode.Loyd..When I do this my windowed mode is half the size of my monitor..Is this normal?And when in full screen mode the upper left corner still has the tools there(select aircraft..Map..Options...etc) how do you get this gone?

Guest PPSFA

When I first made the switch from 9 to X I had a lot of the same questions. In the Learning Center I found the command list, printed it, then went through it experimenting with all the ones I wasnt familiar with. It took a while but it made using FSX a lot easier.

Guest harleyman52

Great idea...I might need to do just that....thanks...

Guest jshyluk

If your windowed-mode window is small, you can embiggen it by stretching it out with the old click-and-drag along the edges. The window size should be remenbered by FSX in later sessions.To get rid of the menu bar on top, press and hold your ALT key for a couple of seconds.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest harleyman52

Thank You Jeff....

>Loyd..When I do this my windowed mode is half the size of my>monitor..Is this normal?In the upper right corner of any window are three symbols:- = minimize the windowdoublebox = autosize the window swap from full screen/resizable screenX = close the windowThis has been standard Windows behavior since Win95... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest harleyman52

Thanks...But I'm talking about in the Sim....Not on a standard page....

Guest PPSFA

It works the same in FSX, windows mode IS a standard window :-)