Sign in to follow this  
Steve Halpern

Which Do you perfer O&O or DisKeeper

Guest harleyman52

While the O&O is big bucks with a 30 day free trail....And DisKeeper is free.......What have you used for defragging and what are your results?

The old old old version of diskkeeper is free...but I like ultimate defrag...new version coming out soonhttp://www.disktrix.com/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest harleyman52

Thanks....I have Ultimate and have never liked it...I just ran it three times on a new HDD and it left over 380 files solid red...Go figure.......And I hate the Vista one..Can't see what its doing at all...I just got this to check out from iobit.com.

I had the free version for some time of Diskeeper and liked it fine.Some months ago, bought Diskeeper 2007 (11.0.709.0), automatically defrag every night and love it. Truly set it and forget it if you run 24/7 or you can defrag at will manually.Good luck:RTH

..me too.. exactly the same comment.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Same thoughts here on diskeeper. I don't even know it's there it just does its thing in the background and keeps to itself.

>And DisKeeper is free.......Is it so, I checked the official site and Download.com and informed "Free to try; $29.95 to buy. Limitations: 30-day trialRegardsShri

Guest Nick_N

It depends on what you are doing, and, if you know what you are doing and why... I would not use anything but O&OThere is a specific way to use O&O that Diskeeper and other products do not provideand setting defrags up for stealth or timed operation on a daily basis is a waste of resources and completely unnecessary

Have any of you tried JkDefrag available here http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ . I have used this for some time now with excellent results. It is FREE and very powerful - capable of sorting by name, size or access same as O & O, as well as other optimization features. Optional open source graphic user interfaces can be downloaded to make it easier to use. Definately worth looking into if you are thinking of buying a defrag utility.Regards MartinQ6600GO @3.2GHZGigabyte P35-DS3R3GB PC8500 Crucial Ballistic Ram 5-5-5-12 @ 1065mhz 8800GT 512mb GRAPHICS CARDWD 320GB SATA DRIVECorsair 520Watt Modular Power SupplyVista 32 Home Premium SP1FSX, UTX, GEX, FEX, LDS763, Realair SF260, etc

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

I just use the default defragger... I have used other before but really it doesn

Hello Shri:"Is it so...."Possibly not. As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I did have a free version for years and it worked fine. I don't know if it is still available or not. Some months ago, I purchased the "Diskeeper 2007" version which of course was not free. I google searched for "Diskeeper free version" and got several hits, but they may all be comeon's and bogus. You might want to check a few out if you haven't already gone that route.I see now there is a "Diskeeper 2008" version, which I assume is equal or even better. I would recommend it based on the 2007 version.I also saw with a google search that a "Diskeeper" firm was purchased recently by a Spainish buyer. This may or may not be the supplier we are talking about as best I remember "Diskeeper" was not the name of the company label (Sorry, my old memory doesn't remember the name). If so, they may have dropped the free version.Good luck and I hope you find something that suits your taste.RTH

you must too much time on your hands.The only time I do a complete fresh install, is when I have a complete system crash, and there is no other solution.I guarantee you that my system runs better today then it did one year ago, and that my FSX is feeling fresh as ever.Some tips :- remove unused programs from startup- defragment regularly. The payware ones are really better then windows default.- run with as little programs as possible in the background- use a good antivirus, and get rid of everything with NORTON in it's name- check what programs and services you are running in the background, close what is not needed- you are right, it is good to have FSX on a different hard drive.- keep your drivers and BIOS updated- did I mention to check what is installed unnecessary and uninstall those/prevent them from starting after boot ? Jan

I prefer Ultimate defrag because its the only defrag for flightsimmers that uses FS has a benchmark.Trust me, contact the owners. They are so helpful.

Dave Taylor gb.png

There used to be a free version called Diskeeper Lite, but I think it's no longer being offered as it's way outdated and looks to not have been upgraded with the commercial offerings.

Guest crimplene

A fresh install of FSX and all addons won't do any good. It leaves the HDD much more fragmented than before. The only way for fastest file access is a name defrag to arrange the files in directory und alphabetic order for optimal file access. If FSX is on it's own disc there is no need to reinstall or defragging if there are no new addons installed. I really don't think, the FSX installation is messed up only by using the program without altering the installation via addon installation. A space defrag every now and then should be sufficient.A monthly new install without defragging afterwards is messing up the hdd, nothing more, I think. A monthly reinstall with defragging can't do any more than defragmentation does. Program installation and disk maintenance is not voodoo.