Sign in to follow this  
Steve Halpern

Which Do you perfer O&O or DisKeeper

Guest crimplene

I agree. But I strongly recommend not to update System Bios with every new version (some manufacturers do update quite regularly), but only when clear benefits are to expect - support for new cpu or solving of incompatibility problems.A BIOS update can be desastrous for your system if it fails, so you have to have a good reason for updating.Example:I own a not too new Asus M2V mainboard. The original BIOS from 2006 had severe problems with Nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx Cards, so I had to update the BIOS (in the moment I work with the old BIOS and a Radeon 3870, because the new BIOS slowed down PCIe and I didn't want to install a new mainboard).

I don't have Disk Keeper, but did buy the dual-licence v8.5/6 and v10 for O&O. O&O has a special offer of two versions for the price of one. It is offered as a link on a thread that actually, I can't remember right now. Someone might post it if you want. It has an expiry date, but I think that is the last of this month.Or, you can check out their website and ask about the two-for-one deal drawn up for flight sim enthusiasts after they were bombarded with requests for v8.5Cheers!

I remember seeing some other thread where most of the people recommended a defrag program called PerfectDisk, might be worth looking at.

Richard Åsberg

Guest bjablonka

Which ones work in Vista? I understand that that Ultimate defrag and O&O is only for XP and below. Is that correct?

Diskeeper 2007 and newer work with Vista that I know of.

Guest Nick_N

O&O v8.6 and above works with Vista as well

Guest bjablonka

Thanks guys - I will give it a try.

Guest bjablonka

After running O&O I am still getting a 34% fragmentation. This seems to be high. Is that normal?

Guest Nick_N

NoIf this is VISTA its the LOCKED recovery partition that VISTA does not allow access to. Turn off system restore, reboot and it will dump the saved restore points and unlock the area. You can defrag clean at that point. Once complete if you want the feature turn system restore back on.

Guest bjablonka

Thank you very much!! Great advise.

or it may be the pagefile, which should hopefully reorganise itself now that it has more unfragmented diskspace to do so.

Nick,I followed your guide using 8.6 and not 8.5, does this make a difference? Should I locate 8.5?thanksGraham

Guest bjablonka

Nick, I did what you said - .3% defragmented - amazing! Thank you!!

Guest Nick_N

None8.6 and 8.5 are exactly the same except for vista support... v10 is different