Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

Secondary HDD? Or not?

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Hi all, ive just finished re-installing vista and fsx etc...Thought i'd have a clean start, I just have a quick query, would installing FSX onto a new sata II hard drive get rid of my stutters? Currently I run FSX from the same drive as windows is installed on, its just partitioned into 2 seperate sections. Stutters annoy me greatly, I have all frames limited to 24 etc.....

Guest NoobPilot

I'm a noob (see name) but with some logic it seems like it would work better. The cables probably wouldn't be taxed as much. Tell me how it goes and I might try and salvage an old hard drive.

I would strongly recommend putting FSX on a seperate drive from your OS.You will find that it will fragemnt less than the OS drive but you MUST defrag after completing your addon installations(see the posts giving great detail of the best setup and defrag information from Nick N etc on this forum)I defrag very regularly particularly after any addition or deletion. The defraging has a definate positive effect on removing stutters although your settings for autogen and or AI may also effect stutters.I am afraid that I dont have the time at present to give you the link to the very informative Set-Up post by Nick N but as you are in the very early stage of reinstalling everything, now would be the ideal time to do it according to good advice.It has worked for the vast majority of those who have followed it.Although it concentrates on Windows XP I use Vista and many aspects are pertinent.regardsjc

I agree, use at least 2 spindles (the physical hard drives) and install FSX on a different spindle to the system. This has a performance advantage because I/O calls to the system (which can happen at any time without your explicit knowledge) will not interfere with you FSX I/O calls which are pretty well continuous. Remember a hard disk can only satisfy one I/O call at a time for most PC hard disks. In fact I/O queuing may well cause stutters,under some circumstances, with everything on one spindle.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.