Sign in to follow this  
Tim Arnot

General Aviation Online Server

Guest ChrisJXN

Hello everyone, I am new to the AVSIM community and I need your input on something. I am a real world pilot, mostly flying 172s. I play flight simulator online often, but I would like to fly in a small but busy airport rather than a huge international airport filled with jets. My question is, Does a server solely dedicated to a few small airports and general aviation aircraft only sound appealing to anyone? Of course it would be pro ATC and proper procedures would be used, but I am curious whether it would attract much attention. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Alevai omayen! Absolutely!The largest a/c I fly are small bizjets (Citation X and smaller), and light piston or turbo GA myself. I've always felt like a gnat on an elephant's back on any flying cigar server... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There is a great need for GA servers -- VATSIM is almost nothing but IFR jetflights/milkruns. FSx has brought VFR flying much nearer.Barry

Guest dswo

This kind of thing is doable on VATSIM -- it just needs pilots and controllers to build up an airport's traffic. For awhile, we had this kind of thing at Santa Monica (KSMO).

As a real world pilot myself as well, I would love to see this sort of thing come about. It would be nice to incorporate and area with some nice scenery....FTX areas would be nice, but would require everyone be running that addon. I would have always liked to have seen something pop up in the Pacific Northwest, can't go wrong for GA up there....let us know if you get a server online, I will be there!Danon -

Okay, why don't all you guys start a multiplayer server of your own on regular evenings just like we do with the 'Simflyers'?We use a 'teamspeak' server for flight and comms; and fly everything but we always fly the same type of aircraft. Say we are in Cessna's sometimes, Heavies another evening and everything else as the mood takes us.We even had an evening with the Tiger Moth once!;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest thx1137

Recently, with the advent of FTX, I was thinking a similar thing myself. I usually fly around YADG because that's where I am doing my lessons but I am happy to fly anywhere were there is FTX scenery, I want to explore more :-). That sort of limits me to Australia at the moment of course.It is good to be able to fly in my own backyard with some decent scenery!BTW: The FTX guys have a FSHost based multiplayer server. I might give it a go after dinner.Steven.

Well that's just what we do, we don't stick to our local area we fly all over the world.We take turns with the location and devise a flight plan with waypoints that we all fly with various touch and go's and some landings. if your first down you taxi back to the active and watch all the other guys landings. This promotes comments like "what a greaser" and "Thank god for Tundra wheels" hehehe. It's all done very sociable and with some friendly banter making for a great evening.Other times we plan a scenario where we fly fixed wing and then use Helicopters for a rescue. One of the guys has the ability to produce scenery to add to your sim such as downed aircraft with survivors that we pick up and fly back to the nearest airfield/airport for treatment.There is so much you can do and with a little imagination, the sky's the limit ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

There's plenty of GA flying VFR on VATSIM in the UK, with many smaller airfields open (Cardiff, Gloucester, Bristol, Biggin Hill, Leeds, Shoreham, Exeter, Liverpool, Manchester, East Midlands etc etc...)European ATC has different phraseology to the US (you'd get strange looks if you asked to "transition the bravo", and you might be asked to "join overhead; report descending dead side"), but it's pretty easy to get the hang of. :-)