Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

Hiding the user aircraft

no.It's a flight simulator after all...You could of course make an "aircraft" that has a size that's 0 in all dimensions.But you'd need to learn how to make aircraft first :)

Guest jshyluk

What you can do (presuming you want flying screenshots but not the aircraft) is:-Fly using the 2D cockpit, right click on the cockpit itself and select "close" to get rid of it. You will get an unobstructed front view, anyway. -Fly the R22 Robsinson helicopter, which has a Nose View. As long as you don't look back, you'll get a great unobstructed view.-Invest in a custom camera application. You won't be flying, but you can put the camera anywhere you like in FSX.Beyond that, I think there might be a way of creating "invisible" textures, seeing as when FSX runs across a particular texture anomaly, it refuses to load the underlying piece of the model. This last thought I would suggest is very, very dangerous, and you could easily wreck FSX. Of course, this is my opinion only, and may or may not be the official opinion of AVSIM, if any, and in any case AVSIM cannot be held responsible for what you do to your computer based on reading this message. Jeff ShylukAssistant Manging EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIMAVSIM

You can actually make your aircraft invisible. There are a couple of solutions, one is easy, the other takes more work.Method 1:In your FSX.CFG file if you scroll down you will see a line in the (GRAPHICS) section like this:See_Self=1Change 1 to 0, and save the file. When you run FSX after that your aircraft should be invisible in all views except 2D panel and VC cockpit views. This is the global way to do it, no matter what aircraft you fly it shouldn't be visible in external views. Note, this may not work with FS9 models ported to FSX, but works fine on true FSX planes.Method 2:If you want to make a specific aircraft invisible all the time you can go into its folder in Simobjects/airplanes and remove the .mdl files and model.cfg from its 'model' folder. Just make sure you back them up somewhere safe first before doing so.Your lights on the aircraft and sounds and 2d panel will still work fine, but you'll no longer have an external aircraft model or VC. If you want to remove the lights you'll have to comment them out from the aircraft.cfg file for that particular plane. I have a number of airplanes and helicopters set up this way in my hangar that I use for my film making.Cheers,-mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest fsxmissionguy

Here's yet another way to get the "Superman View."This way works with any aircraft, is almost instantaneously reversible, and requires no editing of .cfg files:Press and hold Ctrl-BackspaceYou will begin moving forward in the cockpit. Keep pressing and holding until you've left the VC behind you.As long as you don't look back, you have a nice 270-degree view, and you can reverse this process almost instaneously without having to edit anything - just by pressing Ctrl-Enter (this will scoot you back into the cockpit).You can do this with any aircraft at any time during your flight that the fancy strikes you, providing you with additional maneuverability and camera looks (much smoother turns for example, with a glider ... easier hovering with the JetRanger or JetPack Industries camera platform).Lastly, don't tug on his cape. I hear he has a thing about that.Cheers,

>Here's yet another way to get the "Superman View.">Press and hold Ctrl-Backspace>>You will begin moving forward in the cockpit. Keep pressing>and holding until you've left the VC behind you.I tried this and the prop cut me to pieces.

Art

Guest fsxmissionguy

If the prop cut you to pieces, clearly you were in Spiderman View.Not recommended, Webslinger!