Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

Altering default camera positions.

For instance, on the Acc EH101 there is a camera situated next to the port side undercarriage. What I would like to do is re-position that camera to the rear ramp area in order to achieve the Air-load-masters view as he sits on the rear ramp.If not able to tweak the camera.cfg, then is there any utilities that allow that type of view?Thanks in advance.

Keith Sandford.

Guest jshyluk

I am writing as fast as I can!!! I am just putting the icing on my review for DBS Studios' Walk & Follow which could help. The review should be coming out fairly soon, as people are e-mailing me to speed up my writing. There are other similar programs out there, as well, mostly payware. Really, this is the kind of thing that FSX should have had to begin with, but the more I learn about the programming behind the camera views, the less I wish I knew about the programming behind the camera views. For someone who isn't technical, it's not an easy problem to solve!Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Thanx for the heads up Jeff, i will check it out. Any others out there?I just found this on another fs forum......'I GOT WALK AND FOLLOW BACK! its all in FSX. go to wing view or virtual cockpit on those planes that have wingviews. I know its a bit slow at moving to the right position you want, just use EYEPOINT keys and just move to the desired wingview you want or outside view you want'Does this make sense?

Keith Sandford.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Keith,Can you be more specific? Do you want the view of a person sitting on the edge of the lowered rear ramp, facing aft, with their feet dangling off of the ramp?If not, describe more in detail where you want the eyepoint and focus of the eyes to be, and I'll try to design you a camera achieving that goal.The EH101 has several VC views, one of which shows the rear ramp from inside. Have you toggled through those?Cheers,

That would be great if you could and also save me some hard earned cash. All I would like is the view from the rear ramp area. I do not want to actually see a load master, just what one would see if one was sitting on the rear ramp looking out. I hope this explains better. Thanks.

Keith Sandford.

Oh yes, that is amazing. That is exactly what I have been after since I got hold of this awesome aircraft. Just hope you can fly with the ramp open. Should be able too.Thanks in advance..

Keith Sandford.

Guest fsxmissionguy

You can fly with the ramp open!Let me work on this for a bit. May be tomorrow before I can get it to you.Cheers,

Guest fsxmissionguy

Keith,Here is a new aircraft.cfg for the EH101, adding a Loadmaster camera position into the Virtual Cockpit. Access this view the same as you would any other camera view (you can select it from any of the menus, or cycle through to it using the standard camera cycle keys).Installation:1) Exit FSX and make a backup copy of the following file:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSimobjectsRotorcraftEH101aircraft.cfgIf you don't make a backup copy of this file, then you won't be able to get the default cameras back in case something goes horribly, horribly wrong without having to resort to some sort of Repair install. You have been warned. Dude, make the backup copy first.2) Unzip the file attached to this post and place the resulting file in the same location, overwriting the default file.3) Verify: Restart FSX and load a flight using the EH101 aircraft, preferably on the ground. Check to make sure the new view is there by selecting View / New View / Cockpit / Loadmaster from the View menu. This will verify that you did everything correctly. If the Loadmaster camera is not on the menu, you did something wrong.Notes and Caveats:1) No guarantees. There's no magic here. I just added a camera. Still, you are getting what you paid for, capice?2) This file would probably be overwritten by a Repair routine, Service Pack update, or other process Microsoft designs which checks file integrity. So, you might want to make a backup of the new config also in case you ever need it.Let me know if you think this view can be improved and I'll try to tweak it to your liking. Here is what it looks like from my installation:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187414.jpgCheers,

Kevin, thanks a million for this. I am more than happy with making alterations within fs and, of course, will make a backup of both copies like you stated. I will try this out as soon as I get back from work. This should be up-loaded to the avsim file library. I will report back soon with some screenshots. Regards, Keith.

Keith Sandford.

One can instantly access the most used VC views when defined withthe CameraDefinition.00x sections in the aircraft.cfg by simplyadding a "Hotkey=" line at the end of the camera defintion sections.The hotkeys are assignable in the controls menu. I am away from my FSXmachine and forget just wat those entries are labeled but theyappear in the "Views" subcategory and have ID's ending in the numbers5-9 I believe.You use that ID number in the "Hotkey=" statement and from then on,whenever you hit the key or key-combo you have defined for thatnumbered view, you will be instantly switched to that camera.I use this technique when flying from the VC to jump from left to right seats or to a better view of the upper panel or the enginecontrols. I mapped the keys I assigned to my #2 POV hat on my Saitek X-45 so with a flick if my thumb I can move about the VC.This is alot nicer than multiple "A"'s to get to the view you want :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Paul, thanks for that, I think I understand what you mean. I have the ramp view perfect but cannot open the ramp. Anyone know the key command for that. I thought shift / E but nothing. Thanks.Also, I can only access that camera view via mouse right click and select. How can I add this view to the 'cycle views' menu?

Keith Sandford.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Shift-E then quickly hit 3 (takes a few tries sometimes to get the timing right).There are 3 exits on the Agusta Westland EH101. Shift-E makes the left (facing forward) door open, Shift-E 2 opens the door by the hoist.Shift-E 3 opens the rear ramp.Closing is the same key combination.Enjoy,

Hi Kevin, thanks for sorting this view for me, it is awesome. When I hit shift/E/3 the garmin 500 shows on screen. I managed in the end to open the ramp though. Is there a way to change the default to the ramp always open?Also, I have a joystick button assigned to cycling views. I would like to assign this view to that as at the moment I can only exchange this view for the VC by right click / select loadmaster. Is their a fix for this also?My continued thanks. Keith

Keith Sandford.