Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

Found a cause for MENU LOCKUPS in FSX

Guest Jim Knows

Maybe you folks already know about this, but....I have never had a problem with the menus locking up....until now.I figured I did one tweak too many and this is what was causing these menu lock ups.Recently, I bought a 9800GX2 to go with my quad core Q6600, overclocked to 4.0ghz. After I installed the new card, I figured for once I'd try using the nVidia driver to control AA & AF instead of FSX taking care of it. In trying to figure why after all these years, the menus started locking up on me, I completely forgot about the changes I made. And even if I remebered what I did, no way I would of thought using nVidia AA & AF instead of the FSX enabled AA & AF would cause problems like this. Anyways, through fiddling around, I ended up setting the nVidia driver's AA & AF to "Application Controlled", and voila, no more menu lockups in FSX. Not believing my luck, I took off the "Application Controlled", set it back to AFx4 & AAx16. Menu lockups came back. Went back to "Application Contolled", no more menu lockups.

What happens when you try the Nvidia setting to:. I have always had my drivers set to that option never had a menu problem running XP32 SP2.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Well, the tweak seems to work for me. Tested FSX for an hour tonight with zero freezes, whereas previously if I used the menu with my mouse I'd last 5 minutes. So far so good!Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

I dont get the menu lock up and I let nhancer set my AA anf AF with AA turned off in FSX.

Jim Wenham

Guest Jim Knows

>What happens when you try the Nvidia setting to:>. I have always had my>drivers set to that option never had a menu problem running>XP32 SP2.When I posted about the menu lockups, note that it was around 12:30 AM with only hours left before having to get up for work.Therfore, the only thing I had tested was the part where I don't allow nVidia to control the AA nor the AF. Only when I put back in the nVidia driver settings to let FSX control the AA & AF that the menu locks were gone.In surmising, it may not be both the AA & the AF that needs to be controlled by FSX. It could even be that when using the nVidia controlled AA & AF, the setting was too high. That also needs to be tested.It may be just the AA, or just the AF, or both that need to be "application controlled" or "enhanced application". Yet to be tested."Enhancing application control", in past memory, I remember having that on in the nVidia driver settings, and no menu lockups using that setting.

>I dont get the menu lock up and I let nhancer set my AA anf>AF with AA turned off in FSX.Same here.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I got lockups by using in-game AA settingsI got a new card and have not really run in full screen yet, still running in windowed mode. I use nHancer 8x aa and 16x af

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Jim Knows

Thats twice someone has mentioned they avoided the menu lockups by utilizing the nVidia driver's AA/AF through nhancer. Still, the issue of enabling AA and/or AF DIRECTLY through the nVidia Control Panel is causing many to have FSX menu lockups. That issue remains. Thats very interesting why that is.Regardless, thanks for pointing out the "nHancer" route. I am still interested in seeing what Nvidia's own AA/AF can do in FSX. Looks like nHancer is the way to go. Achieving that DIRECTLY through the nVidia Control Panel is not. So thanks, very helpful info.Intel quad core Q6600 G0 overclocked @ 4.0 ghz (VID 1.21)ASUS P5K-E WiFiBFG 9800GX2Zalman 9700(2500rpm) coolerCoolMaster case w/750W PS3 X 26" Samsung monitorsNaturalPoint TrackIR Pro 4.0Saitek CYBORG evo flight stickSaitek Pro Flight rudder pedalsWindows XP Pro SP2FSX SP1(FSX SP1, best performance tweak out there for FSX)(FSX SP2. one of the best performance killers out there for FSX)(Windows Vista, also one of the best performance killers for FSX)UTX-Canada3DMark06 score: 24875

Guest JIMJAM

XP 8800GT SP2- If I DO NOT run in windowed mode,which BTW runs as good as full screen, I will get a CTD.Same with my 7900gtx that I had earlier.I just had a total HD failure and reloaded EVERYTHING by scratch.Now I just have FSX plus all the addons you can imagine.I loaded Nhancer today but for some reason I cannot get it to remember FSX profile.Before the crash, I was having good luck but had to have both global and profile set the same or FSX ignored it.As is FSX looks good but runways and taxiways are jagged and moving.

I found that putting the global setting for AA & AF to exactly those as my FSX profile setting in the Nvidia control panel gets rid of Full Screen menu lockups completly for me.Jim

That is what fixed it for me as well. The global and the profile need to match exactly.

Jim Wenham

This may help you with setting it up. It is from a post I found when I set mine up. I went with multisample AA 4x and set my AF in FSX to Biliniar. Worked best for meNOTE: These changes work for most but I can not say they will work best for everyone... Install and run Nhancer. It does NOT need to boot with Windows or have a tray icon since the service runs in the background and will properly influence the settings. When it is first run select NO to have it run with Windows or have it place an icon on the tray. With any driver above 163.xx Nhancer can no longer delete the profiles as it did in the past, instead the way you OVERRIDE the FSX and FS9 profiles is do the following: a. Scroll down the profile list until you find the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (or) Microsoft Flight Simulator X profile. Click on it once to highlight it. Once it is highlighted, click the DUPLICATE button. You will get a message, select YES to complete the duplication. What that will do is DEACTIVATE the Nvidia profile and ACTIVATE your new duplicate. b. With the new profile in the list, make sure there is a bullet in PROFILE on the right. Go down the list on the right and select the following: AA: For FSX select SUPERSAMPLING and 8xS NOTE: Slower cards and systems in FSX, set to MUTISAMPLING and 4X or SUPERSAMPLING and 4xS Under the next box, check GAMMA CORRECTION DO NOT ENABLE THE SECOND SUPERSAMPLE FEATURE IN THIS AREA UNCHECK "ENHANCED AA" if it is checkedby default AF: CHECKED Bullet in: 16X VERTICAL SYNC: CHECKED, Bullet in: FORCE ON OPTIMIZATIONS Tab: Texture Filtering CHECKED Bullet in - High Quality Trilinear Opt CHECKED, Bullet in - Off Aniso. sample opt. CHECKED, Bullet in - Off Negative LOD BIAS, CHECKED, Bullet in - Clamp Check the next three items but do not change their values COMPATABILITY TAB: Place a CHECK in all header values but only change the following if needed: Force Mip-Maps = NONE Conformant Texture Clamp = ON Hi Dynamic Range HDR (Enabled)All others should be at their default values. Under the CPU Multicore Support, REGARDLESS OF THE TYPE OF CPU YOU USE: FOR WINDOWSXP SET CPU TO SINGLE FOR WINDOWS VISTA SET CPU TO MULTICORE Repeat the above for any other game profile as you may need it. c. In the main Nhancer Window, set the bullet to GLOBAL Set the SAME settings on GLOBAL as you did above. Close Nhancer and reboot. d. Open the Nivida Control panel (right click desktop, select Nvidia Control Panel) Show the ADVANCED settings. Under Managed 3D, make sure the Multi Display Mixed GPU is set to SINGLE DISPLAY MODE if you are ONLY using one video card and monitor. If you use more than one, leave the setting on default Confirm Vertical Sync is indeed set to FORCE ONClick APPLY. FOR LCD: Under

Jim Wenham