Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoungblood

Numerous ATC Handoffs

Hi,I just wanted to know how you all go about dealing with ATC once you took off until it's time to start descent. That time in between all that happens are handoffs and traffic alerts. Do you guys stay there to press "1" the whole time. If you don't press it after a certain while ATC cancels flight following. Once you lose it if find you can't quite get the same ATC support when you re-establish flight following later. So.....what do you guys do during the time normally taken to hook up with the flight attendants? Keep pressing "1" or cancel flight following and then re-establish it later?MarcMontreal, CanadaIntel Dual Core E2140Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB2GB RAMWINXP Pro19" LCD + 84" LCD Projector

Guest fsxmissionguy

Dude,There's plenty of time later to hook up with the flightresses after you get to the crew hotel bar ... trust me.Keep hitting 1 and your passengers will thank you.

Hi Marc,Two words... Radar Contact. :-) You can hand comms over the the co-pilot. If you're serious about realistic ATC then the default version is a bit of a joke really.Click on the logo below for more info.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest jshyluk

There are numerous ways to deal with the ATC:1) Ignore it completely2) Allow flight following to expire and re-connect later.3) Keep pressing 1Of all those options, 3 is the most attractive, but it really stinks if your flight plan travels along a boundary between ATC control regions. If that happens, ATC will flip you back and forth between controllers ten times a minute. It also helps if your en-route waypoints are not very close together, as sometimes the ATC will get "lost" if your waypoints are too close.Then, you could get payware products, like Radar Contact. I have VoxATCX, which I like a lot, and there's also Pro Plight 2000 Emulator. I didn't know that Radar Contact allowed your co-pilot to handle ATC calls, though, that would be cool. I would also guess that flying online might give you a stronger experience in that human ATC won't bother you with a thousand unneccessary ATC calls. Lastly, you could consider flying shorter flights. I usually don't stay aloft for more than an hour at a time. Jeff Shyluk Assistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Hi, a little off topic here, but does Radar Contact really enhance your flying experience? I'm a real air traffic controller, tower, not radar qualified yet (in training).FSX default ATC is horrible. A question for you: Why would you use radar contact, what are the main differences between it and default? I am curious, the default ATC is a pet peeve of mine :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan,It should be more realistic as we have the experience of three AT controllers in the beta team. They ensure r/w procedures (FAA and non-FAA) are adhered to. You should be right at home with your background.Too many differences to list here. Click on this link and the benefits over earlier versions are listed. http://www.jdtllc.com/Feature%20Chart.htmIf it's good enough for r/w AT controllers and pilots it should keep us amateurs happy.Just as you wouldn't use the default 737 because the PMDG is better the same applies to the default ATC.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest NoobPilot

Easy work-around:As soon as you get a handoff, accept the handoff, tune the station, but don't contact the next station. then when you want back on, contact the station, let them refer you to the atc you should be talking to, contact them, and on you go.

Ray,I use Radar Contact whenever I file a flight plan.Can it be used without a flight plan like FSX flight following.I have used it for a long time and was under the impression that it only works with a flight plan.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

The problem I had with RC in FSX (Other than no ground control) was AI traffic, it would control takeoff, landing, initial departure calls and freq change ok, but there would be no intermediate climb or descent calls. All of these worked however for the user aircraft. These functions also also worked fine with the FS2004 version. This was last year (Still version 4.3 download version), since then I went back default, but modified with FS Edit Voice Pack (Which makes it a little more realistic) and AISmooth combination. That seems to work well for me! As for advice for the OP's question, if I'm on a long flight and I don't want to interact with ATC for a while, but still keep my FP active, I wait til the next handoff, I then answer it, but don't tune to the handoff frequency. This keeps ATC quiet (Although the AI traffic chatter will continue, so long your on the active frequency). When I want to bring ATC back to life, I tune in the frequency and make contact. Depending how far away you are from your original contact position, ATC may vector you back to earlier waypoints. Ignore these calls, even though there may be a few of them. As long as your on your flight plan course, which you should be if you are using NAV or LNAV on your Autopilot, you should finally get a call to follow your current course and resume normal navigation. Answer this call and you should be all set and ATC will pick up from there. Note if you are flying PMDG aircraft, and experiencing the LNAV drift problem, also known as the ND problem, and your aircraft is more than about 3-4 miles off course, this won't work, bring your aircraft within that range before you make contact with ATC.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi Ron,A VFR option is planned for v5. Does that answer your question? As a IFR pilot I'm not aware of "flight following". v4.3 requires a plan to be loaded as RC is primarily a IFR program.I would encourage you to ask any questions on our own forum here where those more familiar with VFR can give you a more complete answer. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=135Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Tom,Quick question, how do you like the E6850? Do you get a more than acceptable perf? What are your graphics settings? My friend wants to sell me his processor for 200$. I currently have a E2140 with a 8800 GTS 640mb, 2gig RAM.Thanks!

Hi Tom,<

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>Hi Tom,>>Quick question, how do you like the E6850? Do you get a more>than acceptable perf? What are your graphics settings? My>friend wants to sell me his processor for 200$. I currently>have a E2140 with a 8800 GTS 640mb, 2gig RAM.>>Thanks!Love it, Check out my Youtube Videos to get an idea of my performance. If your also upgrading your MB though, get one that supports the Penryn and get a E8500, you'll have more breathing room to Overclock if your into that!! Some are reporting getting as much as 4.1Ghz on air, and much higher with extra cooling.http://youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Yes I am taking about AI aircraft instructions, and the problem is I never hear descent or climb instructions for any of them. I think it's pretty unrealistic to think no other climbing or descending AI aircraft is not on the same freq you are ever, even at busy airports like LAX, or ORD. (Traffic set to 100% with most airlines. WOAI and UT) As I said, this worked perfectly with the FS2004 version, as well as my user aircraft.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Tom,Please post your concerns on our forum and they will be looked into. Don't suffer in silence. ;-) http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=135Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather