Sign in to follow this  
irocx

Floating Objects in FSX

Hi, In the background you'll see floating houses. Is this being caused by 1. Nvidia drivers, 2. bad GPU memory, 3. GPU memory exhaustion, 4. any or all of the above? Is there any fix to this? Thanks. Edit: Using Memstatus I've never seen GPU mem going over 440 MB on my 512 MB 8800GT. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187450.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187451.jpgRegards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 169.28's Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest RonB49

I would suspect a terrain mesh problem. R-

I believe it is a memory issue. I've had it happen if I've been fussing with 'stuff' inside FS (switching between several aircraft, playing with scenery library/settings, etc).If I reboot FSX, everything gets back to normal.I have never seen it happen during or after a 'normal' flight.I also have an 8800GT, but not sure this is a nvidia issue.

Guest thx1137

I have seen this recently. I have an 8800GT too. I have seen it twice since installing FTX and updating my video drivers to the current beta, I think the first was around YMML and second around Hobart but not sure. It certainly very infrequent for me and hasn't happened yet in my usual FS haunts.After I get my 3d glasses I will decide whether to roll back the drivers because around YADG I usually get around 30-50 FPS with my current settings but now get 20-30. Are you guys running the newish beta?Steven.

Guest fsxmissionguy

This is nothing more (my view) than an overloaded CPU (you'll likely never overload your nVidia 8800 with FSX).What's happening is that the mesh hasn't had time to load (guess). If you were to pause the simulation, I bet it would eventually catch up. I suspect that FSX was not the only program you were running at the time (or that some rogue process in the background was seriously hogging CPU).The ground underneath these houses hasn't been drawn yet, and so FSX doesn't know exactly what altitude to place the houses yet.I've seen this behavior once or twice on my own box when I've accidently starved my FSX dev environment of computing resources.You can easily "fix" this "problem" in either of two ways by throwing money at it or relaxing your requirements a bit:a) upgrade your CPU to one with more cores:( get a new box (more cores)c) move scenery sliders to the left (easy, cheap fix)Cheers,

His computer (and video card) is more than capable of running FSX. I have a feeling this was simply a memory anomaly.If it is happening all the time, well, then something else is amiss.But is sure isn't about his equipment specs, unless, of course, he is running with all sliders to the extreme right.

Thanks everyone, the problem doesn't resolve itself when the sim is paused (I paused it to set up/capture the screen shots) and this has happened to me more than several times, always coming in on approach (this being KMSP on different occasions). I have tried several different drivers, these being the 174.74 beta. I have been told I might be pushing the sliders a tad to high for my system (you see my settings in this post: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...37640&mode=full and no I don't normally run 10m mesh - that was a leftover from upping the texture resolution). I'll back them off and see what happens. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest Bob Huntley

I'd second the comment about an overloaded CPU which si struggling to cope with your Scenery settings.To explain, I used to use a Dual Core system and had the same issue as you when flying over dense areas (Tokyo was the killer area for my system). When I upgraded to a Quad Core, running at the same speed, the problem went away.PS - Another test is to fly over New York and look at the smoke from the factory chimneys. With a dual core I used to get a puff of smoke, then clear space, then another puff of smoke at intervals of roughly 1 second. With a Quad core this problem also resolved itself.

Guest firehawk44

"Hi, In the background you'll see floating houses. Is this being caused by 1. Nvidia drivers, 2. bad GPU memory, 3. GPU memory exhaustion, 4. any or all of the above? Is there any fix to this? Thanks. Edit: Using Memstatus I've never seen GPU mem going over 440 MB on my 512 MB 8800GT." LOL. I would select "5. None of the above." And yes, there's a fix but you may not like it as you have to lower a scenery slider -- lower the mesh resolution slider to around 38m. Do not set it at MAX. This works for me everytime!JimEDIT: I don't know why ALL the autogen doesn't raise up, just certain autogen houses. For instance, with Mesh Resolution slider set to max at Friday's Harbor, the houses around the airport are setting on the ground, everything looks normal. You go to the airport at the other end of the island, land, and the homes are in the air. Lower the mesh resolution and everything is back to normal. It probably has something to do with the "round/flat earth" theory.

LOL, who ever said it was set to max?? In the settings I linked to in an earlier post, I stated the 10m setting was the result of setting the texture resolution to 7cm per the recommendations of the venerable Nick Needham, which by doing so automagically sets mesh to 10m. I reset the texture to 1cm but neglected resetting the mesh. Irregardless, I have experienced the floating object phenomena with the default mesh and texture resolution settings. I re-installed a driver tonight and didn't have any issues. We'll see. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

I'm getting this alos...HAs anyone found a fix/workaround?By the way my houses are occasionally WAY ABOVE the terrain mesh so it doesn't appear to be an issue of the ground teraain elevation mesh "catching up" as the houses are about 100ft above the surrounding terrain even after it loads. :(

Chris Camp